Calibration of Software used for Testing Purposes

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
An interesting thread:

>From: Deborah Strauss - agilesys.com

Calibration of Software used for testing purposes is a big issue in my company. Any comments would be appreciated:

how to best do it? how often? R & D software - does it have to be done? (I say yes)

Subject: Re: Q: Cal. of Software Used in Testing/Strauss/Pfrang
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 13:48:12 -0600 From: ISO Standards Discussion

Every article used on the production floor to manufacture product -- including machines, instruments, chemicals, software-controlled devices, etc. -- has to be validated for its intended purpose. Many articles are validated by brute-force trial-and-error: you experiment with it in your process until you get the process to work the way you want it to; i.e., your products turn out the way you want them to.

Some articles perform a measurement function. For these articles, you have the option of validating the article by having it calibrated; i.e., calibration is one technique of validating the article for its intended purpose. Calibration is not the ONLY technique of validating an article which performs a measurement function, but it is a popular one, because it is often more cost-effective than brute-force trial-and-error validation. Calibration is mainly used when you have a process, formula or recipe that you already know will work (i.e., it has already been validated elsewhere, such as in your R&D department), and you are trying to make sure that your production floor is correctly following that process, formula or recipe. For example, if your process, formula or recipe says to heat something to X degrees for Y minutes, then you want a reliable way of knowing you have heated it to X degrees for Y minutes.

This same rule applies to software-controlled articles used in testing. The first question you ask is, "What is the intended use of this article?" Probably, the intended use of the article is to distinguish good product from bad product. OK, fundamentally, you need to demonstrate that the article has the capability to do this. You have two choices. You can validate the article by brute-force trial-and-error, or you can validate the article by calibrating it.

Validating the article by trial-and-error can be done by collecting many examples of good product and many examples of bad product, running them all through your software-controlled article, and adjusting the article until it passes all the good product and rejects all the bad product.

Validating the article by calibration can be done in the usual way -- comparing it to a recognized standard.

Choose whichever validation technique works and is cheapest in your given application.

How often you revalidate the article (whether it is software-controlled or not) depends on its robustness. First you must determine how long it takes the article to drift so far out of tolerance that it no longer performs its intended use. (This information is often obtained from historical experience with the article.) Once you have this information, you establish your revalidation cycle so you are able to readjust the article before it drifts too far out of tolerance.

Thus, the key to validating software used for testing purposes is to recognize that you do not validate the software, per se; you validate the software-controlled article, and this can be done by brute-force trial-and-error or by calibration.

-- Doug Pfrang --

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Christian Lupo

By using the word "article" does the author relly mean "software/program" or does he mean the hardware? i.e. the PLC's, IC, cables, harddrives.

I have a pretty good idea about what software needs validation and the different methods, and I know that computer wiring needs to be shielded from EMI, as do hard drives and PLC's, but I am still not sure that the "computer experts" are not trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Let me explain: The company I work at is largely computer operated automated. The computer tells the machines what to do. My question is what other issues should I be concerned about other than software validation?:

1) Do IC/PLC's need verification?
2) are they NIST traceable?
3) should they be?
4) What are other quality requiremnts that should be considered when buying these units? 5)Do computer hardware manufacturers supply reliability information such as MTBF?
6) When purchasing hardware (PLCs/ICs) what should I be looking for? or are all brands the same?

Can anyone give me some "ammunition" for the next time I'm confronted by an ivory tower computer "expert" who believes quality assurance has nothing to do with them?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Subject: Re: Calibration of Software /Raymond/Hale
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 08:16:27 -0600

Subject: RE: Calibration of Software /Raymond/Hale

Our testing is highly automated. Test scripts are controlled. When a new test script is created or a test script is modified a test analyst performs the following:

1. test script is created or modified to include new test cases (sometimes marketing is involved here)

2. desk check the script to make sure the test cases adequately test the function/feature

3. compile and execute test script

4. verify the test results match the expected results(marketing sometimes is involved here also)

5. retain the verification as a quality record.

6. retain the test results as a baseline for future testing. The baseline is controlled

7. of course this process is documented

Richard Hale

>From: "Raymond, Charles E.
Subject: Q: Calibration of Software /Raymond

Has anyone had any experiences with the requirement in 4.11 for the
calibration of test software? If so, would you mind discussing how this
is/was done?

Thanks in advance,
>Chuck Raymond

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Has anyone used Empower (Calibration/Metrology software)? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
M Has anyone used CalWorks Calibration Software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 13
H METCAL Software (from Fluke) used only to get the Electrical Calibration Data? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Marc Calibration of Software used for testing purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Tracking-Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Records - List vs. Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
D Looking for Calibration Software for small company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
K Ideas for an Open Source Calibration Database Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Commercial Calibration Laboratory Software Recommendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
S Anybody familiar with AHP Calibration Software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
C The Best Calibration Management Software Recommendations wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Gage and Calibration Software Comparisons Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
kedarg6500 Protection of Data in Calibration Software & ISO 9001 Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
M Freeware for Tool Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
G (Free) Mass Calibration Software - Calibration of Weights to UKAS Standards? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
K What features (feature list) for free calibration software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 11
D Looking for a "User Friendly" calibration system software package Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
K New Calibration Software Recomendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
8 Gage Track Calibration Software Alternatives Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
J Calibration Software - What Do You Recommend? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 7
Ron Rompen Calibration Software Recommendations? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 17
J Recommendations for Calibration Certificates/Software? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Software Validation - GageTrak Calibration Software - Please Help Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
K Gage Life and Calibration Management Software - Seeking Opinions / Reviews General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Maximo software for use in Calibration - Seeking Comments, good or bad Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Q Help With Calibration of Software - Microcontroller firmware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Calibration Procedure for a Wavetek 9100 using Fluke Met/Calibration software Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
B Calibration Management Software: MudCats Metrology Suite General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
M Calibration Software - Seeking Suggestions - Commercial or Home Made Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 24
A Calibration Software Validation - Are there any Testing Tools available? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
M Thread Gage Calibration Software to look up requireds/specs for thread gages Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 48
F Calibration Tracking Software: Seeking Recommendations and Comments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
I Tell me where I can get FREE Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 23
G Test Software 4.11 - We send the Collector out for Calibration but not the Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J What Calibration Software are you using? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 14
S Gage Calibration Software - Calibration software with free 30-day trial downloads Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
P Dial Gauge (gage) Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
C Calibration Revisited, software too - Previous approach was to calibrate everything General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10