Calibration of Tape Measures used on our production floor - What are 'Best Practices'

D

dscumaci

We recently received a minor nonconformance during a surveillance audit. The finding concerned the calibration (or lack thereof) of tape measures used on our production floor. These tapes are used to confirm lengths after a cutting operation. I am looking for a logical, simple method for calibrating tape measures. Does anyone have any "best practices" to share? I appreciate the assistance.

Dom-

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I think that you may need to provide more information on the subject.

Are the tapes used to "determine acceptance of the product" for movement to the next function area or for shipment?

If not, label them as "reference tools" (assuming that you have some other method of measuring/testing the product for conformance to specification.

If they are, I believe that you may be in a pinch. Tape measures are subject to so much regular abuse, malformation, and other circumstances that would impact their accuracy (to some tolerances) --> you might find yourself hard pressed to keep them calibrated (or spend a ton of time rechecking them).

Apologies for only being semi-helpful. Throw some more details out there so that those more knowledgeable than I on the subject can give you some better advice.

ALM

Q
dscumaci: I must agree with ALM, more info is needed to give a helpful reply.
What type of verification is used at your facility to determine calibration of tape measures as specified under your calibration procedures?

------------------
GSH
Quality Mgr.
QS9000 Coordinator

D

dscumaci

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your response and I apologize for the vagueness of the question. To clarify the matter, the tape measures are used to make accept/reject decision after steel bar has been cut. Tolerances for length of bar and plate range from 1/4" and 1/16". However, my question is what my be a logical means of calibrating the tape measures? Does anyone have experience implementing a process for calibrating tape measures? What are some options we may have?

Thank you for your help;

Dom

R

Roger Eastin

You can't calibrate a tape measure (because you can't adjust it to bring it back into conformance), but you can verify aspects of it. You can verify that it is still readable and you can compare it to a standard (if you suspect warpage, for instance). One option is to verify it at incoming inspection and then establish reasonable intervals for verification. Also, come up with rules of action, such as what to do if the tape measure has been dropped or been exposed to unusual wear conditions.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Remember to keep in mind that you are required to calibrate equipment through their usable range. Purchase the right Tape measure for the job. To add to Roger's post, consider the things that break or become loose (i.e. the end-hook on the tape measure). Is there any play?

B

Batman

Do you need to consider the "readibility" factor, where the measurement device must read one more decimal than the stated tolerance? 1/16 is .0625. Your device should be readible to .006? (1/125?) This may be splitting hairs, but could this be an audit target, and more importantly an issuue for you? I guess it depends upon the criticality of the measurement.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
keep a steel rule for verification when tape gets worn/abused ...discard (or tag) and replace with a new one when wear reaches an unacceptable level...the steel rule comes in calibrated/verified or what ever........and if not heavily used has an infinitye cal cycle....or tap on one of 15 years.....You set the rules, what makes sence for you

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
I agree with Barb's recommendation. Currently, our program to calibrate a tape measure includes verification that the end-hook does not have too much play (dependent on the nature of the tolerance and item being measured) by ensuring that when compared to a steel rule, the allowable slop is within your established limits. The rest of the tape should remain consistent, barring any kinks or bends.

S

SRTipton

Regarding the tape measure, if I have a tolerance of +/- 1/8 inch, does that mean that I must be able to read the measurement to +/- 0.0125" if the measurement appears on my control plan but is not a customer designated key (special) characteristic? Also what about conversions from metric to English? As an example, say the spec for the thickness of material is 1+/- 0.1 mm; this would convert to (approx.) 0.03927+/-0.003927. How would this be handled best?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D For Reference Only or Calibration/Verification - Tape Measures for cutting bar stock ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
R Calibration of Tape Measures used for reference General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
B Steel Measuring Tape - Can a Steel Measuring Tape be excluded from calibration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Icy Mountain Reasonable calibration? 50 foot measuring tape and other basic M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
L Tape Measure Calibration - I asked if I had to do nominals, was told no! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 54
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5