Calibration of Thermometers and Temperature Sensitive Devices

• Thread starter Garner Davis - 2011
  • Start date
G

Garner Davis - 2011

Hello, all.

I've searched this forum for some ideas on calibrating thermometers, and I've found some good information. I used to work for a large company, and our system was to purchase the expensive NIST-traceable thermometer and use it to check the accuracy of other thermometers, as well as ovens, water baths, etc.

Now I work for a much smaller company, and spending that type of money is not an option. I've seen an idea in one thread that seemed to make sense for thermometers, which involved placing all the devices in the same environment for a given amount of time, taking a reading, and as long as they fell within acceptable tolerances for the process, everything was OK. Repeat for different temperatures as necessary.

Now, I want to extend that idea to include the devices such as the water baths, ovens, etc. If I select one of the thermometers to use as a "golden" standard, would it be acceptable to use it to check the accuracy of the other devices. My personal thought is that this should be OK, as long as it's defined within the quality system, but I welcome feedback from the group if there's something I might have missed.

Thanks for your time;

Garner Davis

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Calibration of thermometers and temperature-sensitive devices....

Garner Davis said:
Hello, all.

I've searched this forum for some ideas on calibrating thermometers, and I've found some good information. I used to work for a large company, and our system was to purchase the expensive NIST-traceable thermometer and use it to check the accuracy of other thermometers, as well as ovens, water baths, etc.

Now I work for a much smaller company, and spending that type of money is not an option. I've seen an idea in one thread that seemed to make sense for thermometers, which involved placing all the devices in the same environment for a given amount of time, taking a reading, and as long as they fell within acceptable tolerances for the process, everything was OK. Repeat for different temperatures as necessary.

Now, I want to extend that idea to include the devices such as the water baths, ovens, etc. If I select one of the thermometers to use as a "golden" standard, would it be acceptable to use it to check the accuracy of the other devices. My personal thought is that this should be OK, as long as it's defined within the quality system, but I welcome feedback from the group if there's something I might have missed.

Thanks for your time;

Garner Davis
This is not an acceptable way to calibrate your devices. You should get one device calibrated with traceability to NIST and use it exclusively for calibrating all the others.

C

Craig H.

Re: Calibration of thermometers and temperature-sensitive devices....

Al Rosen said:
This is not an acceptable way to calibrate your devices. You should get one device calibrated with traceability to NIST and use it exclusively for calibrating all the others.

Garner,

I agree with Al. Would it be possible to send one of your existing thermometers off to be checked? That could become your reference thermometer.

G

Garner Davis - 2011

Re: Calibration of thermometers and temperature-sensitive devices

Thank you for the responses; I'll investigate what the cost would be to do that.

I remember that the cost of a NIST-traceable thermometer from Fisher Scientific and the like seemed to run around $1K; if we're looking at about the same cost for sending one off, then I'm not sure that's feasible for us at this juncture.

Thanks again for the responses.

Garner

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Garner Davis said:
Thank you for the responses; I'll investigate what the cost would be to do that.

I remember that the cost of a NIST-traceable thermometer from Fisher Scientific and the like seemed to run around $1K; if we're looking at about the same cost for sending one off, then I'm not sure that's feasible for us at this juncture.

Thanks again for the responses.

Garner
The cost to calibrate it is not anywhere near that much.

Ice is 32°F or 0°C

A properly prepared ice-point bath can be used for thermometer calibration. Poor preparation and use of the bath will result in errors. With care, one can use common laboratory beakers and stirring equipment to produce an ice-point bath that is within ± 0.01 °C (0.02 °F) of the true ice point.

Procedure
The following table details preparing and using ice-point baths.

Preparing and Using Ice-point Baths
Step Action
1 The water must be uniformly cooled to and maintained at the ice-point temperature.
¨ This can be done only by using slush made of ice shavings or crushed ice particles.
¨ Constantly stir the ice and water slush to keep it distributed uniformly.
¨ The slush must contain only enough water to wet the ice particles and allow the mixture to be slightly fluid.
¨ Water will have to be removed periodically and ice added as the bath is used.
¨ For best accuracy, use distilled water and clean clear ice.

2 Do not allow clumps of ice or water pockets to form.
¨ When ice particles clump together, the water between them freezes and the temperature drops.
¨ If a pocket of water forms, the temperature in it will rise.
¨ A water and ice cube mixture will not cool the water between the cubes sufficiently.

3 Do not allow a thermometer or temperature sensor in the ice-point bath to touch any part of the bath or any other thermometer or sensor. At least 25 mm (1 in.) of slush shall always be below the lowest point of any thermometer.

4 Suspend each thermometer from above and hold at the proper immersion depth. It will be easier to read the liquid column of a glass thermometer if the container is almost full.

5 Constantly stir the bath in order to uniformly distribute the ice particles and water.

6 Allow the thermometer or sensor to stabilize at the temperature of the bath.

7 ¨ Read the thermometer, wait for about a minute, and read again.
¨ Record only those readings where the indicated temperature is repeated within the desired accuracy.

NOTE: You may stop stirring momentarily while reading a glass thermometer.
8 Record the indicated value.

9 Find the error by subtracting the ice point (i.e., 0 °C [32 °F]) from the indicated value.

The correction factor has the same numerical value as the error but with opposite sign.

EXAMPLE: Let the true temperature be 0 ° and the indicated temperature be -0.40 °; the thermometer reads low with an error of -0.40 °; the correction factor to apply at that point is + 0.40 °.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Now you have a device calibrated at one point. What about the rest of the range?

Al Rosen said:
Now you have a device calibrated at one point. What about the rest of the range?
You buy a NIST Thermometer!:lmao:

You use a water boiling point calculate at you altitude and barometric pressure and use the same procedure.:read:

I would rather use Gumbo at least if it dont work you can feed the auditor!

Last edited:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

pilchard said:
You use a water boiling point calculate at you altitude and barometric pressure and use the same procedure.:read:
Using NIST traceable instruments of course.:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Calibration of IR thermometers above 1000?C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Level of accuracy required for the calibration of glass mercury thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marc Calibration of Glassware and Liquid in Glass Thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Gravimetric blender for resin in automotive industry - periodical calibration via external lab with certification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
N Calibration Method for Scales and Flowmeters Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
T Calibration Tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Considering addition of mass calibration to ISO17025 scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Z Resolution in calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Run Down Adapters Calibration Processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Looking for accredited calibration lab - Onsite up to 650A and 1 kV. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
CaliperJim Screw Thread Micrometer Anvil Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Strange Juan HP 85054B Standard Mechanical Calibration Kit Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
H Air Pressure Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Calibration on AVL AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Determining an as received OOT condition during calibration does not affect measurements taken prior to calibration. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Sam.F Do heat treatment ovens need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
J Selecting reference standards for calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
E Calibration Records during AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
John Predmore Calibration Determination decision Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
J ISO 17025 Calibration Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Electronic Weighing scale calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
M Bourdon gauge calibration procedure failure ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek Calibration question Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Calibration/Worn gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Settings rings calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R 7.1.5.2 -- Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration Label issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JDJohnson Micrometer & Caliper Calibration (ISO-9001) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
B Precision Current Loop for Current Probe Calibration Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Strange Juan Freezers fridges Incubators Calibration Labels General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Calibration of Angle microscope stage micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K END CALIBRATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
JoeRandom11 Question of Calibration Cycles AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
placebo_master What is the difference between "Fitness for Purpose" and "Calibration/Verification"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G AMS 2750 F Instrument Calibration Results and Recording AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Internal calibration (stopwatch) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Is calibration really required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Misc Calibration Standard Inquiry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
G IATF 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records :Program/software verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7