Calibration of Thread Gages with Metric Standards with Conversion to Imperial Units

Hello,

Long time observer first time poster here. I had a situation come up where the previous quality manager at my new position decided they could save money by outsourcing our thread gages overseas. Looking at the cal reports from the manufacturer it shows that all the gages were calibrated in mm and then stated as equivalent to imperial units ie inches.

I was wondering if this procedure is acceptable from and ISO 17025 calibration lab? We are starting to see some of our gages fail and I'm thinking that it has to do with the conversion and the stacking of the number rounding as we increase the thread counts. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this an acceptable practice?

Thank you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome Bill!

I would say that conversion to inches seems okay as long as it is within the needed discrimination. Rounding is problematic though, certainly as is "stacking the number of rounding" if your tolerances are very small.

That said, your having some troubles with these gauges certainly indicates trouble that I wonder about. I am not sure the rounding can be the root cause by itself. This rounding would be less of an issue if the calibration service provider was using standards with a significantly smaller discrimination. The industry habit is at least 10:1 but I have never found the absolute requirement for that.

Before I post this I want to be sure I understand you: are the gauges purchased from overseas or are the calibration services overseas?

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I have had to use metric wires for english plugs and vice versa in times when one of my sets of wires was out for calibration. I don't remember having an increase in out of tolerance results.
For example, look at a 1/4-20 thread. The pitch diameter tolerance for this thread is ±0.00015". The tolerance of the thread wires used is ±0.00002". Any rounding errors on the conversion from metric to english on the wire size would not be significant to the thread tolerance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Calibration of Master Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Calibration Requirements for Thread and Ring Gages AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Sealed in Wax Thread Gages - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Products Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
S NPT Thread Calibration Method - NPT Taper Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G Calibration of 200 sets of Thread Ring Gages - Return them to the manufacturer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M Calibration requirements for pins, thread gages, etc? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Thread Gage Calibration Software to look up requireds/specs for thread gages Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 48
CaliperJim Double Ended Thread Plug Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Qualifications I need to adhere to for Thread Gage Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
M Thread Gage Calibration - Who to use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Thread Plug Gage - Calibration Frequency ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Adjustable Thread Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D ISO/Metric Solid Thread Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Thread Measurement - Basics on Thread Plug and Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Calibration and Determine Pitch Diameter of Tapered Thread General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T In-House Calibration of Thread Plugs/Rings to achieve a 4:1 Ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
BradM Calibration Fundamentals: The How-To Thread General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Calibration Procedure for Thread Pitch Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Calibration of ring thread gauge with master gauge: How to calculate Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R 3 Wire Thread Measuring System - Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K HI LO Set Masters for Thread Rings - Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
B Method for Calibration of Thread Plug Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Constant for thread gage calibration with the three wire system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
5 Calibration of Thread Pitch Micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Thread Gage Calibration: In-House or Outsourced? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Calibration Check Points for ACME & LPT Thread Plug & Rings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
apestate Thread micrometer questions, discussion regarding MU and calibration. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Thread Gage Calibration / Verification Instruction needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
D Calibration of Optical Comparator Overlays - Radius, Thread and Angle General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Calibration of Tapered Thread Plugs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
J Calibration, should we.... Go-No-Go, thread, pin, and ring gauges QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JDJohnson Micrometer & Caliper Calibration (ISO-9001) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
B Precision Current Loop for Current Probe Calibration Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Strange Juan Freezers fridges Incubators Calibration Labels General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Calibration of Angle microscope stage micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K END CALIBRATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2