Calibration of Water Meters which dispense the water into our mixing vessel

N

nidhir

Dear all,
We use water as a main raw materials in our products ( Chemical detergents, textile auxilaries..). We have water meters which dispense the water into our mixing vessel. I need a simple method to verify the accuracy of the water meters. Can anybody help me.
Thanks

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Dear all,
We use water as a main raw materials in our products ( Chemical detergents, textile auxilaries..). We have water meters which dispense the water into our mixing vessel. I need a simple method to verify the accuracy of the water meters. Can anybody help me.
Thanks
Since I see this as a process requirement, and accuracy is not mentioned by you, there are several qualified laboratories that calibrate water meters. You can get this calibrated and certify as "fit for use" and bring it within your calibration plan.
Where are you based ?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Well... one way is the bucket method. Get a bucket with a known volume (that's marked on the side) and a stopwatch. Time how long it takes to dispense a gallon (a liter, or whatever). That will determine actual flow. Then compare against indicated flow.:)

harry

Trusted Information Resource
What kind of accuracy do you need or your process require? For verification purpose, weight may be another option: 1 liter = 1 kg. I believe you are using very clean/pure water.

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
What kind of accuracy do you need or your process require? For verification purpose, weight may be another option: 1 liter = 1 kg. I believe you are using very clean/pure water.

Also depends on the temperature.

This is what we do - put a container of water on a scale and record weight before and after a certain amount of time.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Also depends on the temperature.

This is what we do - put a container of water on a scale and record weight before and after a certain amount of time.

Yep.:agree1: I've done that too. Another way is to have a calibrated flow meter, and put in line. Then you can calibrate several flow meters with one meter.

The smaller the volume, the tighter everything has to be.:)

N

nidhir

Thanks to all. Will look into the bucket method. Is there anyconversion to do?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Thanks to all. Will look into the bucket method. Is there any conversion to do?

I would like to mention. I think the other guys suggestions about weight is the better method. But if you don't have the capability, then use the bucket.

Basically, get a bucket that is marked off to the gallon, for example. Fill the bucket up until it hits the gallon mark, timing how long it takes to get there. So if you fill up exactly one gallon in exactly one minute, then your flow rate is 1 gallon per minute. :D Or you can pour out the bucket into smaller containers for measurement, accounting for any loss.

Now, there is a fair amount of error associated with this. The weight method is better, a comparison to a calibrated flow meter highly preferred, and sending the flow meter to a competent lab is the best.:agree1:

Z

zamclachia

Thanks to all. Will look into the bucket method. Is there anyconversion to do?

Without knowing what your accuracy requirements are;
The weight method is best. Ensure that the temperature of the water is stable, measure the temperature and use the temperature to determine density and use this factor in your calculation.

H

HeyBooBoo

The OP never states that he is measuring a flow rate, but that assumption has been made by most posters... He may simply be measuring a volume or weight and should then follow the bucket or scale method.

Top Bottom