Calibration Procedures for checking and certifying micrometers and calipers

M

mibusha

Does anyone know the procedures for checking and certifying the calibration of micrometers and calipers (or know where I can get them)? I plan to send out one set of block gauges for certification and use them for our reference standards but I don't know how do actually do it. Setting up the records is easy enough, just the checking part has me stumped.

Michael

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Michael,

Your plan is good provided you order the correct set of gage blocks (highest grade, or grade necessary, and proportionet to the calibration activities). The ten factor needs to be considered here. There are several books on calibration that give you the basics for gage calibration. The ASQ has several Metrology resources. In addition, you may consider these books also, Managing the Metrology System, C. Robert Pennella (this book actually has sample procedures for mics, calipers, and more) and Inspection & Gaging by Kennedy/Hoffman/Bonds (this book covers all types of inspection equipment including V-blocks and the like). Several folks out there are working to MIL specs, another source yet. For ISO, systems are generally less complex. For QS, the bar is raised significantly. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kevin

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Click here for http://elsmar.com/CAL_PROC.TXT Calibration Procedures

Be aware that I dug these up from some 8 years or so ago. THEY ARE NOT PRETTY. These are drafts of some I was writing and they've gone from Mac to MooseDOS (evolved to Windows, for what Windows is worth) to UNIX so there are a lot of spaces, a lot of garbage characters and such in them. I can't find copies of the old 'finished' procedures.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 01-27-99).]

M

mibusha

Kevin, Marc,

In my zeal to get everything set up properly and also to make my final audit deadline, I just noticed I neglected to acknowledge your help. I bought Penella's book and it was very useful. Combined with Marc's procedures I was able to do a pretty good job-at least the auditor thought so!

Again thanks.

Michael

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G ISO 17025 Calibration Laboratory Assessor's Common Questions and Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
M Where do I get the Calibration procedures of Department of Defense ? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Simple Calibration Procedures for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Updating Outdated Calibration Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Standard Calibration Procedures for various Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Identification, Labelling, Maintenence and Calibration Procedures wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Updating our Laboratory Calibration / Verification Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Calibration Procedures for Parallels and V Blocks Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Calibration Procedures for Inspection Equipment? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T Calibration Procedures - ISO/IEC 17025, Clause 5.5.9 - Outsourced Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
Jerry Eldred Document Retention of Obsolete Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
kmyers Gage Calibration Procedures or Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T In-house Calibration Procedures in our FAA Approved Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
W Can Calibration Procedures be uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Control of Manufacturers Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J Calibration Procedures in Gagetrak General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
D Validity of ISO 17025 calibration waivers due to proprietary procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
V Calibration Procedures Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
apestate How are calibration procedures validated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Quality Calibration Procedures - Frequency of equipment calibration - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
P Seeking Nationally and Internationally recognized Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Guidelines on record retention of obsoleted calibration procedures (Revision History) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
G ISO 9001:2000 Calibration Procedures for DMM/Oscilloscopes/Power Supplies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
T Survey - What is the demand of Pre-written/ready-to-use calibration procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
T Threaded plug and ring gage calibration procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Difference between written calibration procedures and calibration work instructions? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Need of calibration procedures for sine plates, v-blocks, and parallel bars General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Calibration Procedures - Government Industry Data Exchange Program (GIDEP) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Calibration of CNC Machines - Does anyone have written documentation procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Jerry Eldred Calibration Methods - Auditor wants federal or international calibration procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 33
Jerry Eldred 4.10.6.5 Interpretation - Must Calibration Procedures be Published Internationally? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Standardization of Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5