Calibration Procedures for checking and certifying micrometers and calipers

M

mibusha

Does anyone know the procedures for checking and certifying the calibration of micrometers and calipers (or know where I can get them)? I plan to send out one set of block gauges for certification and use them for our reference standards but I don't know how do actually do it. Setting up the records is easy enough, just the checking part has me stumped.

Michael

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Michael,

Your plan is good provided you order the correct set of gage blocks (highest grade, or grade necessary, and proportionet to the calibration activities). The ten factor needs to be considered here. There are several books on calibration that give you the basics for gage calibration. The ASQ has several Metrology resources. In addition, you may consider these books also, Managing the Metrology System, C. Robert Pennella (this book actually has sample procedures for mics, calipers, and more) and Inspection & Gaging by Kennedy/Hoffman/Bonds (this book covers all types of inspection equipment including V-blocks and the like). Several folks out there are working to MIL specs, another source yet. For ISO, systems are generally less complex. For QS, the bar is raised significantly. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kevin

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Click here for http://elsmar.com/CAL_PROC.TXT Calibration Procedures

Be aware that I dug these up from some 8 years or so ago. THEY ARE NOT PRETTY. These are drafts of some I was writing and they've gone from Mac to MooseDOS (evolved to Windows, for what Windows is worth) to UNIX so there are a lot of spaces, a lot of garbage characters and such in them. I can't find copies of the old 'finished' procedures.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 01-27-99).]

M

mibusha

Kevin, Marc,

In my zeal to get everything set up properly and also to make my final audit deadline, I just noticed I neglected to acknowledge your help. I bought Penella's book and it was very useful. Combined with Marc's procedures I was able to do a pretty good job-at least the auditor thought so!

Again thanks.

Michael

Top Bottom