SBS - The best value in QMS software

Calibration Procedures - ISO/IEC 17025, Clause 5.5.9 - Outsourced Calibration

T

Tom from Clayton

Requires that both the function and calibration status of equipment sent out for calibration be checked per a defined procedure and the results be recorded.

Considering we just sent sent out various types of instruments and equipment out to have that very thing done for us, by an A2LA accredited company, by the way, what does the group think this requirement means? I'm thinking I would rather not do a mini calibration on every pipette and timer we have calibrated.

Tom from Clayton

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
You don't 'recheck' them when they come back, and the calibration laboratory is supposed to have procedures applicable to the instrument/device they are calibrating. You have to tell the laboratory what you want. For example, some laboratories charge more if you want a copy of the pre- and post- data, for example.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, the laboratory must record results and per the requirements of Clause 4.13.2 (and sub-Clauses) must be applicable to specific tests or calibrations.

However, if you need the results and you should get the uncertainty, you may well have to pay extra for it.

T

Tom from Clayton

In A2LA's November newsletter the question presented was "Does the requirement in Section 5.5.9 of ISO 17025 apply to equipment that has been sent out for calibration?"

The response from A2LA was: "Yes. When equipment is returned from being calibrated, the lab is responsible for performing a check per a defined procedure and recording the results of that check...."

Section 5.5.9 requires the function and calibration status of the equpment be checked. My calibration person is going beserk and if i knew how to spell apolpletic I would also use that word to describe how she feels.

This is a case of checking the checker but the checker is an accredited calibration lab and I am not.

Tom from Clayton

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello, Tom!

In essence, you are correct about the perceived approach and your frustration within. :D

Remember, the procedures are about establishing policies and processes; not about dictating specific steps to take.

I have spent many an hour with the technicians I work with on this, getting them to understand the value for this check.

IMHO, the clause is less about checking the checker. Pipettes are sent off for calibration, pistons changed, etc. The check you are being asked to do is less about checking the calibration performed, and more about verifying that nothing has changed with the device during the time it was calibrated and the pipette ending back on the bench.

First, I would suggest you develop procedures for establishing a process that is in control. Check several pipettes first, then back off on the number of verifications and the number of test points. E1154 and the ISO spec both cover this concept.

Next, I would think you would want to check pipettes every now and then anyway, especially with repeatibility/reliability checks between operators; a huge source of error.

My interpretation of that clause in 17025 is more about mitigating risks involved with standards; equipment sent out for calibration to be used for calibration. One does not want to get back a standard thermometer, check 200 instruments, then discover something strange happened when it was first sent back to you.:)

I would start with developing processes that even though you send them out for calibration, that the devices still produce reliable, consistent readings with the different environments/ operators that are present.

T

Tom from Clayton

Thanks, Brad. Our processes include checks to ensure everything is in control and if out of control although they would not specifically point to pipettors, they would indicate a problem that would have to be corrected.

Our issue was.... well it really doesn't matter because you have cleared things up nicely. We currently examine returned items fairly thoroughly to ensure they have been calibrated correctly but our written procedure was a little weak. We consider this correction to be an opportunity for improvement.

Thanks again all.

Tom from Clayton

S

stenna10

Hi,
it is recommended that they be calibrated at both a low point and a higher reference point. For convenience, most manufacturers have selected 75% and 33% RH as the default calibration standards. So, to calibrate your instruments, you need to be able to place the device in our own custom "humidity chamber".
Always give an instrument some time to stabilize, after moving it from one humidity chamber to another. This is the most accurate way for you to calibrate an instrument, if it can be done this way. The readings stay more stable than they do when a plastic bag is used: If a bag is inadvertently compressed or the contents shifted, which is likely to happen if you have to calibrate the instrument instead of merely viewing it, stability of the humidity chamber is affected and that can result in calibration errors. As a result, that process must be performed cautiously and double-checked.

S

stenna10

HI,
You need not to. Nowadays manufacturers will often use a thermostat bath or solid block where the temperature is held constant relative to a calibrated instrument. Other instruments to be calibrated are put into the same bath or block and allowed to come to equilibrium, then the scale marked, or any deviation from the instrument scale recorded. For many modern devices calibration will be stating some value to be used in processing an electronic signal to convert it to a temperature.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Given the information subsequent to my last note, this is an easy fix.

Pipeetes: Are they cracked? Do they leak? Do you have a cert with the A2LA logo and uncertainty? Document that the returns were checked, make sure the record is controlled per Clause 4.13. Process under Clause 5.5.9 complete.

For other things, take similar simple approaches. Put that into the procedure, train your folks and document it.

That should be all you need to do.

Hope this helps.

D

dv8shane

Tom,

I operate a laboratory under an ISO17025 and AS9100B QMS. From my interpretation both quality systems require that I record at least the functionality for items I can not calibrate that need to be sent out and when standards are sent out, a series of readings are to be taken for outgoing and incoming within the capabilities of the organization. These provide a chance to view if any major changes have occurred during shipping or service. In fact everytime I take a unit out for a field calibration it must tested before and after to ensure that nothing has shifted, as part of the AS9100 control of service provision and to fulfill the requirements of 17025 5.5.9

Shane

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G ISO 17025 Calibration Laboratory Assessor's Common Questions and Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
D Validity of ISO 17025 calibration waivers due to proprietary procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
E Quality Calibration Procedures - Frequency of equipment calibration - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
G ISO 9001:2000 Calibration Procedures for DMM/Oscilloscopes/Power Supplies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M Where do I get the Calibration procedures of Department of Defense ? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Simple Calibration Procedures for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Updating Outdated Calibration Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Standard Calibration Procedures for various Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Identification, Labelling, Maintenence and Calibration Procedures wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Updating our Laboratory Calibration / Verification Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Calibration Procedures for Parallels and V Blocks Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M Calibration Procedures for Inspection Equipment? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Jerry Eldred Document Retention of Obsolete Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Gage Calibration Procedures or Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T In-house Calibration Procedures in our FAA Approved Repair Station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 11
W Can Calibration Procedures be uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Control of Manufacturers Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J Calibration Procedures in Gagetrak General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
V Calibration Procedures Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
apestate How are calibration procedures validated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Seeking Nationally and Internationally recognized Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Guidelines on record retention of obsoleted calibration procedures (Revision History) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
T Survey - What is the demand of Pre-written/ready-to-use calibration procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
T Threaded plug and ring gage calibration procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Difference between written calibration procedures and calibration work instructions? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Need of calibration procedures for sine plates, v-blocks, and parallel bars General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Calibration Procedures - Government Industry Data Exchange Program (GIDEP) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Calibration of CNC Machines - Does anyone have written documentation procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Jerry Eldred Calibration Methods - Auditor wants federal or international calibration procedures? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 33
Jerry Eldred 4.10.6.5 Interpretation - Must Calibration Procedures be Published Internationally? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Calibration Procedures for checking and certifying micrometers and calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Marc Standardization of Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Calibration Frequency for Slip Gauge Kit used for CMM Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration/Verification of customer fixtures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Ron Rompen Calibration by manufacturer ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Q Calibration verification records 7.1.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Next Calibration Due Date Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
S Where do l get calibration standards to run a calibration lab? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A OEM On-Site Calibration issues during Covid19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9