SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Calibration process study help needed - Have I have selected a correct test design?

C

Camper

Need help with measurement system analysis. Would like some clarification as to measurement test designs…

I have a question as to whether I have selected a correct test design for measurement assessment. Also, as mentioned below, there seems to be a difference between NIST and Minitab v14 of test plan definitions. Any insight/suggestions as to a good approach to evaluations of this type will be appreciated. This process has never before been evaluated using actual data produced by the process itself. All that exist currently is the calibration hierarchy and uncertainty analysis using manufacturer specs. Also, surprise!, this is the first time I’ve been involved in a study of this sort.

Background:
I have been asked by my company to perform an assessment of the variability of a pressure calibration process. The lab concerned has a piston deadweight tester that is used to apply different loads to a pressure gage and obtain a load/response curve. I have been asked to ascertain repeatability of successive measurements and reproducibility between operators and days.

Test Plan:
After some investigation I found the NIST/SEMATECH web site which seemed to have the test design I needed: a 3-level nested. In fact, it is stated that operator effects can be determined from the 3rd-level pooled standard deviations. So what I have is three operators and three transducers of the same range to give me at least 2 degrees of freedom at those levels.

The plan is to have all three operators perform a calibration of a single transducer on the same test day. Due to the calibrator workload, it is impossible to have all three operators calibrate all three transducers on the same day. On the next test day, separated by at least two calendar days, a different transducer is calibrated, again by all three operators on the same day. The process will be repeated until all three transducers have been scheduled for six test days (which will be equal to 2-3 months calendar-wise).

Minitab vs NIST?
I've recently had the chance to look at Minitab’s v14 “Gage Study” stat functions. It looks to me what NIST calls a “nested” design, Minitab calls a “crossed” design. Also, it seems to me that Minitab pools the various level standard deviations differently than the NIST examples.

Again, thanks for any help/insight that can be provided.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Giselle

Camper,

While the Minitab route may be what you are looking for, I highly recommend you follow the NIST examples. The way Minitab pools thier data may provide inconclusive, or even inaccurate results. NIST sets the standard for the entire country. Otherwise your experiment sounds Good. I would be carefull to monitor temperature, and excitatation voltage if these pressure transducers are high accuracy as this can be a a sorce of error.

C

Camper

Giselle,

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at the AIAG MSA manual, but it did not seem to address my particular situation completely. I didn't mention that I also want to obtain a "Type A" uncertainty value for the process. Yes, I intend to monitor temperature and humidity; the transducer output will also be quantified in terms of the excitation voltage (these are bridge-types).

The idea is to create a generic "plan-of-attack" to evaluate different calibration processes, or maybe a better way to say it is that I want to prove the process is in statistical control; once proven, I then see the MSA approach as more applicable to an ongoing monitoring of the process.

camper

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S Measuring a "calibration" process of a machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
R Calibration of processing equipment - 21 CFR 820.70 Production and process controls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Internal Calibration Process Suggestions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Calibration Process - What do they mean by "Check Method"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D ISO/TS 16949 Calibration Control and Process Improvement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Control of Calibration as an Outsourced Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
H Monitoring the Calibration Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
D Precision Balance Verification and Calibration Process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Process Monitoring Gage Calibration Requirements - 7.6.3.2 External laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q Can a waivers for external calibration labs be implemented via the PPAP process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Calibration Process QC Laboratory vs. Calibration of Shop Floor Tools ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M How to Internal Audit the Calibration Process Internal Auditing 12
Ajit Basrur Necessity of Calibration of Manufacturing Process Equipment Gages, Controllers, Etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Outsourced Process - Calibration - HELP! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Do Process gauges need to be in Calibration control system? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Marc Calibration is the process of establishing a KNOWN RELATIONSHIP - Traceability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32