Calibration Recall - Lost Gages procedure example wanted

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
We have a calibration recall system in place. Sometimes, personnel are unable to locate the gages on recall and they are presumed lost until they turn up. Of course they do not always turn up.
How should I address lost gages in the recall.
Does anyone have a lost gage procedure?
I was just notified by a potential customer that my procedure must address lost gages.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello there!!

Good question.

What we started doing was issuing deviations for lost instruments. We then keep track of the deviations in two categories: Lost/broken instruments; and instruments that exceed tolerance.

Once the deviation is issued, the status of the instrument is changed to lost. If the instrument is located again, it can be calibrated and re-enrolled in the system. If the instrument stays lost for a couple of years, the instrument owner can choose to change status to retired/decommissioned.

These deviations can then be reported (and handled) down two different paths.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Ho ho ho !

No, it's not Christmas, that's me chortling over somebody else admitting that this problem exists.

Although I've never had a customer require that my documentation address this issue.

Over the years I've tracked the percentage of calibrated items that are delivered for re-calibration when due. Regardless of where I worked (granted, only two different outfits for the last 17 years), it ranged from 92% - 97%.

Now, some of that is because I calibrate employee-owned tools if they bring them in - I have a no questions asked policy regarding that. I figure if they can bring it in for calibration, they may also have it in the building and on their desk when a customer or other external auditor walks by, and it hurts less to calibrate those instruments than to deal with the resulting drama of them not being in current calibration status.

And I'm not innocent - I have a couple of meters at home that I commandeered because they were out of calibration, and after resolving that issue they went home with me to work on a motorcycle issue and have not returned.

Employees come and go, and things disappear sometimes. My cal log does include " last known location / user " and that helps me to round up the missing dogies. When an item does not get delivered I remove it from my "active" list and track it as "inactive". Sometimes they resurface after a couple of years, sometimes never.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
Our recall lists the department that the gage has been assigned to. Sometimes the gages seem to grow legs and make their way to another department or some distant Galaxy never to be seen again.

I think I will update the recall list as inactive and send a note to the responsible departments that gages found past their due date must be returned for calibration.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Your plan makes good sense for a couple of reasons.

First, the owner / user of the equipment is responsible for it. They should know its location, how it was being used, etc. They should be required to either produce the instrument for calibration or take responsibility for it not being available for whatever reason.

Second, I'm sure that you could face problems if you just send notices out that calibration is due but there is no follow up. You should continue to consider the equipment overdue for calibration until it is otherwise dispositioned. The onus should be on the user to determine it is lost, not you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Calibration Recall or Due Dates - Latitude Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
G Gage Recall Analysis - Threaded Plug Gage has failed Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
E AS9100 Equipment Calibration Recall Methods and Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Third party auditor mentions no grace period for calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 22
E Calibration Certificate Content Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2