Calibration Records during AS9100 Audit

Hello!
Does anyone have 1st hand experience with auditors requesting to see calibration records during an AS9100 audit? I’m the sole inspector at my shop and it’s becoming abundantly clear that my predecessor was not actually performing any calibrations in house and basically fleecing my boss. There are no recorded results, we don’t have the types of minimum gauging required to perform the calibrations and yet every gauge has a sticker ……hmmmmm. There is only some nonsense excel spreadsheet and a couple of certs for thread rings that were sent out for calibration. Luckily my boss is very receptive to purchasing what his needed; it’s a small family owned machine shop and he’s kinda green to running it since his father (the owner) is now semi-retired. Anyway, I’m trying to catch up for our 1st “real” AS9100 audit but I’m basically starting from scratch. Luckily I will have minimal interaction with the auditors and every place I’ve been at it’s always the managers, supervisors, owners who deal with the auditors directly. I was mentioning to my manager that I’m creating calibration worksheets to record my results since none existed and he’s under the impression that they're not gunna want to see them during the audit? Every place I’ve been at, the auditor has requested from myself to see a handful of them to verify but my manager thinks they’ll only look to see if the gauging has a sticker? This doesn’t seem right at all for numerous reasons and my manager doesn’t see why that’s an issue. He’s not a dumb guy, he’s just an old guy who’s not really “hip” to current regulations and that it’s 2022 not 1972 lol. I guess I’m just a little stressed and I don’t want us to get hit with violations but I’m not really familiar with the one-on-one auditor interactions. Any words of advice?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Any words of advice?
Just do your job and don’t try to second guess what the auditor is going to ask. Auditors are as dissimilar and inconsistent as snow flakes. No two are the same. Some are donuts connoisseurs and don’t leave the conference room. Others are as inquisitive and savvy as Sherlock Holmes. Let the chips fall where they may and support the audit as well as you can when and if you get involved.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
... Anyway, I’m trying to catch up for our 1st “real” AS9100 audit but I’m basically starting from scratch.
Hi!
What do you mean first "real" audit? Is this is your company's initial AS9100 registration?

And for what it's worth, I've never had an auditor that did not verify calibration records. Typically, they gather gage or equipment numbers throughout their time auditing manufacturing and inspection processes, then look at the records for those to ensure the requirements in 7.1.5 are being met.

Last edited:
Hi!
What do you mean first "real" audit? Is this is your company's initial AS9100 registration?

And for what it's worth, I've never had an auditor that did not verify calibration records. Typically, they gather gage or equipment numbers throughout their time auditing manufacturing and inspection processes, then look at the records for those to ensure the requirements in 7.1.5 are being met.
We will be going thru stage 2 of the process; they already completed stage 1 before I started working there; at the time of my post I wasn’t sure of the correct naming of what step in the process so I apologize for not being clear in the first place.

Basically I’m going to have to calibrate active gages that are not due yet because there is no traceability of them getting calibrated in the first place. This was the issue I brought up with my manager and he seemed to be under the impression that just showing the auditor a gage with a calibration sticker on it will suffice and the auditor isn’t gunna want to see any calibration record with recorded errors. My experience was only at a shop past stage 2 so I wasn’t sure if calibration records are not necessary at stage 2? I just can’t imagine that that is acceptable.

I really like this shop a lot so mostly on my own time I’ve created actual worksheets to fill out, written up the calibration procedures, acquired the proper masters and temp/humidity gage to perform the calibrations. The fact that none of those basic elements needed to actually do calibrations were there in the first place really shows that the last guy was just faking it. What really drove it home was when I sorted the log by due date and saw that he calibrated 100 various gages in 1 day! It was definitely very suspicious.

I’ve only personally dealt with an auditor at my last shop and the auditor had a list of 5 active gages and requested from me to see the calibration records for them. Mind you my last shop was already certified and this shop is just at stage 2 so I wasn’t sure if that would be requested for stage 2.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: I am going to remove some gaging from circulation/make inactive to save some time but I can’t do it with all of them lol.

I guess I just don’t feel comfortable using ANYTHING the last guy “calibrated” because I really think he didn’t calibrate it to begin with!

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
^I'd probably do the same. Make as much as you can inactive until you've got a handle on the stuff you're using regularly.

Since you're the gage guy now, have you read AS9100 Section 7.1.5?

Just do your job and don’t try to second guess what the auditor is going to ask. Auditors are as inconsistent as snow flakes. No two are the same. Some are donuts connoisseurs and don’t leave the conference room. Others are as inquisitive and savvy as Sherlock Holmes. Let the chips fall where they may and support the audit as well as you can when and if you get involved.
Exactly. And if you receive a nonconformance, it's not the end of the world. You already know what your plan is to keep this from happening again.

What you're doing now is containment, but your containment should also include determining the validity of previous measurement results. Could nonconforming product have been called good and shipped to your customer?

Last edited:

darkopsghost

Involved In Discussions
I would suspect everything until you have validated those instruments. That being said, what about escapement for those products measured using instruments which failed calibration? How do you plan to mitigate those items? Things could get REAL MESSY, REAL QUICK!

I would definitely have a CA in the system before your next audit. Don't blame the person, but do blame the Process for not catching it, however, if it was the QM that failed to do the Calibration/ Verification, you would have hoped that he/ she had the integrity to do so without oversight...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
G IATF 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records :Program/software verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Calibration verification records 7.1.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Calibration/Verification Records (IATF 16949 7.1.5.2.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
E IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Calibration and Verification Records Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q AS9100/AS1180-1 - Handling of Equipment and Calibration Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Gauges (Measuring Jigs) Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Calibration Records Requirements for all the Calibrations and Verifications we do General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
R Electronic (Online Database) Calibration Records General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Records - List vs. Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
B Calibration/Verification Records - IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.2.1 f) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 "Calibration/Verification Records" Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G TS-16949 7.6.2 ? Calibration/Verification Records - Assessment of the Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Heat Treat Calibration Records - API 6a sec 5.8 and annex M Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
K Calibration and Verification Records - TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
CalRich How long do you maintain (retain) calibration records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
C Calibration/verification records - New gage certificate as calibration evidence General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 Calibration Verification Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
S Calibration Records - 4.11.3 - Records of the calibration activity shall include... Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
M Gravimetric blender for resin in automotive industry - periodical calibration via external lab with certification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
N Calibration Method for Scales and Flowmeters Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
T Calibration Tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Considering addition of mass calibration to ISO17025 scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Z Resolution in calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Run Down Adapters Calibration Processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Looking for accredited calibration lab - Onsite up to 650A and 1 kV. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
CaliperJim Screw Thread Micrometer Anvil Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Strange Juan HP 85054B Standard Mechanical Calibration Kit Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
H Air Pressure Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Calibration on AVL AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Determining an as received OOT condition during calibration does not affect measurements taken prior to calibration. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Sam.F Do heat treatment ovens need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
J Selecting reference standards for calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
John Predmore Calibration Determination decision Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
J ISO 17025 Calibration Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Electronic Weighing scale calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
M Bourdon gauge calibration procedure failure ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek Calibration question Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Calibration/Worn gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Settings rings calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R 7.1.5.2 -- Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration Label issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1