Calibration Records Requirements for all the Calibrations and Verifications we do

M

MichelleN

Hello everybody,

I work in a manufacturing company and we use mostly tape measures to measure the product but also several calipers and scales. My question is: are we required to maintain calibration records for all the calibrations/verifications we are doing periodically to tapes/calipers/scales? We are certified against ISO 9001:2008.
I am asking this because we had a discussion about it and the quality personnel in some different locations maintain these records, but others are not.

If we are required to keep these records, can you please provide some examples, e.g. for each of those mentioned above (tape/caliper/digital scale), if it's not very difficult (wasting time) for you?

Thanks a lot.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
First, ISO 9001 7.6 says you shall determine the monitoring and measurement needed to provide "evidence of conformity" of product to determined requirements.

"Evidence" is an auditor trigger word that requires records for proof. That said, yes, you are required to maintain calibration records....

For all of your calibrations? You need to have already determined what measurements are required to provide evidence of conformity of your product, so at least these will require calibration records. If the measurement is critical to your product performance the measurement must be made with calibrated equipment and the "Records of the results of calibration and verification shall be maintained".

So which instruments? That is what your people are going to have to determine. Are the measurements critical?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everybody,

I work in a manufacturing company and we use mostly tape measures to measure the product but also several calipers and scales. My question is: are we required to maintain calibration records for all the calibrations/verifications we are doing periodically to tapes/calipers/scales? We are certified against ISO 9001:2008.
I am asking this because we had a discussion about it and the quality personnel in some different locations maintain these records, but others are not.

If we are required to keep these records, can you please provide some examples, e.g. for each of those mentioned above (tape/caliper/digital scale), if it's not very difficult (wasting time) for you?

Thanks a lot.
Could you also tell us what type of products being manufactured? Type of tolerance, and so forth.

The calipers and digital scale will need to be identified with records of calibration. Do you use tape measures for final acceptance of product? If so, you would need records on them also.

Just my opinion.

harley123

Starting to get Involved
We keep a calibration log on each tape measure and calipers showing
date of calibration and when it needs checked again also showing tolerances. We have a gauge block set and an master tape sent off each year to be calibrated and check the tape measures and calipers with them.

M

MichelleN

Thank you very much for all your answers and I am very sorry that I am late in writing back to you.
We actually started preparing calibration records because we realised it was necessary. I also remembered that I did it in the past but I forgot about it...

Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Calibration and Verification Records Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L Heat Treat Calibration Records - API 6a sec 5.8 and annex M Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Calibration/Verification Records (IATF 16949 7.1.5.2.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q AS9100/AS1180-1 - Handling of Equipment and Calibration Records AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Gauges (Measuring Jigs) Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Clarification on Calibration/Verification Records 7.1.5.2.1d (IATF 16949) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
R Electronic (Online Database) Calibration Records General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Records - List vs. Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
B Calibration/Verification Records - IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.2.1 f) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 "Calibration/Verification Records" Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
G TS-16949 7.6.2 ? Calibration/Verification Records - Assessment of the Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Calibration and Verification Records - TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
CalRich How long do you maintain (retain) calibration records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
C Calibration/verification records - New gage certificate as calibration evidence General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S TS 16949 Clause 7.6.2 Calibration Verification Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
S Calibration Records - 4.11.3 - Records of the calibration activity shall include... Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2