Calibration, should we.... Go-No-Go, thread, pin, and ring gauges

J

Joe_1

We are a small machine/fab shop that specializes in CNC and Conventional Machining processes. We are seeking QS9000 certification in July. We do not supply any parts to the Big 3 as of yet, but hope to in the near future. What I having a problem with is that of Calibration. We have calibrated all of our instruments here such as calipers, micrometers, indicators, tapes and rulers, etc. However, in a machine shop type of atmosphere, there are also other types of gauges. These gauges are a concern to me. I am referring to Go-No-Go gauges, thread gauges, pin gauges, and ring gauges. We do not have ANY of these things calibrated as of the moment. The registration audit is coming around and the pace is picking up around here. What I need to know is, DO THESE GAUGES HAVE TO BE CALIBRATED? I mean, these gauges are used to check certain finish dimensions on products (like threads, hole diameter, etc.). Please clear the "fog" in my eyes concerning this subject.
Thank You,

------------------
Joe W. Guy,
QS9000 Administrator

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

Woraphot

Hi Joe
As my understanding the auditors will not accept if go-no-go gauge is not calibrated. What I did go-no-go calibration in my company,we established tollerance each certain point and measure them with calibrated equipment. If the result of measurement is within the tollerance, then the calibration sticker will be identified on the gauges.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
The answer is in the use. Are they used for reference dimensions that are checked again later, or for final acceptance? You need to address each one and determine its effect on the quality of the product/end item, and identify it as such...DON"T come after me...I use "it" collectively...as in "All yellow inked" plug gauges are for xxxxxx and require verification with a calibrated instrument prior to use. (they may look for evidence of that verification depending on the criticality of the measurement, be prepared) All red inked gauges are used for measurements that do no effect the quality of the end item. Just make sure the part of the gauge you ink isn't the working part, cause it will wear off.....LOL Some will have to be calibrated....look closely, and be honest and be prepared to discuss (best to justify with a record /my consultants hat on that one)...they will look closely at that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What Calibration Standards should I have? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Damaged Load Cell After Calibration - Who Should Pay? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
C Should the Calibration Laboratory be kept locked? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
E Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
V Should there be a incident/deviation for breakdown or missed calibration date? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M Should a low cost hand held refractometer be in a calibration program? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
Anerol C Where should I start as the person responsible for the calibration laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A Preparing manual for Calibration laboratory! How should it be named? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Should we perform Equipment final calibration-Operations closing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J CNC Calibration - What should be calibrated on a HAAS machine? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Should QS/TS certified internal test/calibration labs be required to be ISO17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
J Should weigh count scales be in the Calibration System? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1