Calibration Software Validation - Are there any Testing Tools available?

A

Andrews

We have recently developed a inhouse software for the standards room / gauge room which takes care of calibration activities..

Now how should we validate this software to ensure that this software works as required by us ?

Are there any testing tools available?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

How about sending a sample of gages to a certified lab for their results and match them to your results? Doing it 1 time might not work, but if you can show over time that your system works you are in business. Even if you had bought a canned gage program you would probably still want to verify its results and equations.

Al...

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
What kind of features does your software have? If all it is doing is storing records, then just verify that the records are retrievable, etc. If it is doing statistical calculations for you, verify through some other (independent) method that the results are correct, and you should have it. You can always download a trial copy of something like PQ Systems' GagePack and compare the results.

A

Al Dyer

Let's see,

How do we verify/validate that the equations and graphs in the software we buy are accurate and precise???

By taking the word of the salesman? NO
By matching against like software? NO
By testing against our own results? NO
By testing against an outside source like a RAB approved calibration lab? YES

I am not even the devil's advocate in this, it is common sense.

Al...

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I think we need to hear what the functions of the software are. I am assuming that if it is doing calculations, it is doing things like R&R studies, linearity plots, stability charts, and bias studies. These things are all simply mathematical functions! Are RAB approved calibration labs the only ones with the demonstrated ability to do math? I think not. I have never received a calibration certificate that includes any of the above statistical information. The fact of the matter is, I can verify function of software using completely fictional gage data by verifying the results using math!

A

Andrews

Hi everyone,

Our software not only stores the records of all calibration done but also cautions us when the due date for calibration is near.It also compares the actual size (that is entered ) against the specification (that is already entered in the database) and tells us if the gauge is OK or NOT OK.

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Andrews,

All these functions can be easily verified manually. Even if the software does some statistical calculations, IMHO, you can verify by doing them manually.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Atul is right. Just put some data in and try out a variety of scenarios to verify that all functions perform as intended.

H

Holly21cn - 2009

I came across the same issue but our software is used to measure some paramters of raw material used in our product(Such as contour). The software is a programm designed by an engineer and no one can verify if the measurement is truely reflecting the parameter we expect and if the measurement is acurate. Engineering people claims that we shall just trust the capability and expertise of the engineer and shall not go through any verification. I don't agree. I need to find a effective way to verify. My idea is to ask the supplier to provide some samples with measurement datas and compare these data with our measurements, if the measurement system of supplier can be acceptable. The gage in our supplier site also needs to be designed purposely.

What is your recommendations?
Thanks a lot.
Holly

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Software Validation - GageTrak Calibration Software - Please Help Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Tracking-Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Records - List vs. Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
D Looking for Calibration Software for small company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
K Ideas for an Open Source Calibration Database Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Commercial Calibration Laboratory Software Recommendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
S Anybody familiar with AHP Calibration Software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
C The Best Calibration Management Software Recommendations wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Gage and Calibration Software Comparisons Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
kedarg6500 Protection of Data in Calibration Software & ISO 9001 Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
M Freeware for Tool Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
G (Free) Mass Calibration Software - Calibration of Weights to UKAS Standards? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
V Has anyone used Empower (Calibration/Metrology software)? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
K What features (feature list) for free calibration software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 11
D Looking for a "User Friendly" calibration system software package Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
K New Calibration Software Recomendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
M Has anyone used CalWorks Calibration Software? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 13
8 Gage Track Calibration Software Alternatives Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
J Calibration Software - What Do You Recommend? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 7
Ron Rompen Calibration Software Recommendations? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 17
J Recommendations for Calibration Certificates/Software? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
H METCAL Software (from Fluke) used only to get the Electrical Calibration Data? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Gage Life and Calibration Management Software - Seeking Opinions / Reviews General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Maximo software for use in Calibration - Seeking Comments, good or bad Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Q Help With Calibration of Software - Microcontroller firmware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Calibration Procedure for a Wavetek 9100 using Fluke Met/Calibration software Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
B Calibration Management Software: MudCats Metrology Suite General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
M Calibration Software - Seeking Suggestions - Commercial or Home Made Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 24
M Thread Gage Calibration Software to look up requireds/specs for thread gages Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 48
F Calibration Tracking Software: Seeking Recommendations and Comments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
I Tell me where I can get FREE Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 23
G Test Software 4.11 - We send the Collector out for Calibration but not the Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J What Calibration Software are you using? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 14
S Gage Calibration Software - Calibration software with free 30-day trial downloads Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
P Dial Gauge (gage) Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
C Calibration Revisited, software too - Previous approach was to calibrate everything General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc Calibration of Software used for Testing Purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Calibration of Software used for testing purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6