Calibration Stickers on instruments are NOT required!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm doing some work for Ford in Sharonville. Not 1 gage has a cal sticker - they are registered to ISO9001:1994/QS-9000. Any comments?

T

Tom Goetzinger

What do their procedures say? I don't believe that the standard ever required calibration stickers on all calibrated gages. It just requires a method of identifying which gages are calibrated, so that only those are used when product quality is affected. Calibration stickers are a commonly accepted method of doing that, and maybe the easiest, but certainly not the only.

------------------
Tom Goetzinger

Originally posted by Tom Goetzinger:
What do their procedures say? I don't believe that the standard ever required calibration stickers on all calibrated gages. It just requires a method of identifying which gages are calibrated, so that only those are used when product quality is affected.
Though I have fought with auditors in the past over this... this year we finally relented and actually labeled our gages, etc... that are NOT used for inspection/test results as "not for calibration. We have always "identified" our inspection and testing gauges with a sticker... and specified that "only those with the appropriate calibration stickers and that are on the calibration list... may be used to make quality decisions... blah, blah, blah..."

We were CONSTANTLY busted for not labeling everything else "not for calibration." (This, from a reputable auditor at a well-know registrar... BSI)

Just my $.05

ALM

[This message has been edited by ALM (edited 13 June 2000).]

T

Tom Goetzinger

Have you tried including in your procedures the statement that unless identified as calibrated, all gages are assumed to be for reference use only?
I believe that is the key to not labeling all gages.
"Identified" could mean bearing calibration stickers, or marked in some other way, but identifiable to a specific instrument on the calibrated instrument list.

[This message has been edited by Tom Goetzinger (edited 13 June 2000).]

Marc

Leader
Have you tried including in your procedures the statement that unless identified as calibrated, all gages are assumed to be for reference use only?
As I stated above, I have run into the 'sticker everything' mentality. For some years I have used the procedure vehicle to avoid labeling everything. It does work, but there are some idiot auditors who don't like to buy it. You gotta ram it down their throats.

T

Tom Goetzinger

I was able to convince our auditor that it did not make good business sense to label all gages. Because this is true in our environment, and our auditor is a reasonable, experienced individual, I did not have to ram it down his throat.

Marc

Leader
Because this is true in our environment, and our auditor is a reasonable, experienced individual, I did not have to ram it down his throat.
Consider yourself lucky.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Calibration stickers on gages or on boxes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
R Validity of Calibration Stickers on Measuring Tapes and Rulers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 29
K Calibration Stickers on Measurement Equipment - Compulsory or not General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
M Done date & due date on calibration stickers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
V Gage Calibration Stickers in harsh environments - Are Calibration Stickers Required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Source for calibration stickers - Narrow "For Reference Use Only" wrap-a-round General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Interesting Discussion Using "Not A Calibrated Device" or "No Calibration Required" stickers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 63
D Illegible Calibration Stickers - Gages used in oily, dirty environment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P Calibration Stickers or Other Methods of Identifying when Gages are Due? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
Jerry Eldred Calibration Stickers - Do we have to put stickers on every gage and all equipment? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 46
M Bourdon gauge calibration procedure failure ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek Calibration question Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Calibration/Worn gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Settings rings calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R 7.1.5.2 -- Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Calibration Label issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JDJohnson Micrometer & Caliper Calibration (ISO-9001) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
B Precision Current Loop for Current Probe Calibration Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Strange Juan Freezers fridges Incubators Calibration Labels General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Calibration of Angle microscope stage micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K END CALIBRATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
JoeRandom11 Question of Calibration Cycles AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
placebo_master What is the difference between "Fitness for Purpose" and "Calibration/Verification"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G AMS 2750 F Instrument Calibration Results and Recording AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Internal calibration (stopwatch) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Is calibration really required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Misc Calibration Standard Inquiry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
G IATF 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records :Program/software verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J What risk to cover when NOT using ISO 17025 accredited/certified labs for calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Moncia ISO 9001 calibration question please ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
CaliperJim Double Ended Thread Plug Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
R Calibration due dates. Using GAGEpack Software 3
B Calibration Tolerances - Pipettes ISO 8655 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A Calibration of spring loaded test fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Adjustments after calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
A ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements- Assess and Record validity Previous measuring results ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
C Pressure Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Validating calibration certificate as per API Q1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9