Calibration Stickers on instruments are NOT required!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
I'm doing some work for Ford in Sharonville. Not 1 gage has a cal sticker - they are registered to ISO9001:1994/QS-9000. Any comments?

T

Tom Goetzinger

What do their procedures say? I don't believe that the standard ever required calibration stickers on all calibrated gages. It just requires a method of identifying which gages are calibrated, so that only those are used when product quality is affected. Calibration stickers are a commonly accepted method of doing that, and maybe the easiest, but certainly not the only.

------------------
Tom Goetzinger

Originally posted by Tom Goetzinger:
What do their procedures say? I don't believe that the standard ever required calibration stickers on all calibrated gages. It just requires a method of identifying which gages are calibrated, so that only those are used when product quality is affected.
Though I have fought with auditors in the past over this... this year we finally relented and actually labeled our gages, etc... that are NOT used for inspection/test results as "not for calibration. We have always "identified" our inspection and testing gauges with a sticker... and specified that "only those with the appropriate calibration stickers and that are on the calibration list... may be used to make quality decisions... blah, blah, blah..."

We were CONSTANTLY busted for not labeling everything else "not for calibration." (This, from a reputable auditor at a well-know registrar... BSI)

Just my $.05

ALM

[This message has been edited by ALM (edited 13 June 2000).]

T

Tom Goetzinger

Have you tried including in your procedures the statement that unless identified as calibrated, all gages are assumed to be for reference use only?
I believe that is the key to not labeling all gages.
"Identified" could mean bearing calibration stickers, or marked in some other way, but identifiable to a specific instrument on the calibrated instrument list.

[This message has been edited by Tom Goetzinger (edited 13 June 2000).]

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Have you tried including in your procedures the statement that unless identified as calibrated, all gages are assumed to be for reference use only?
As I stated above, I have run into the 'sticker everything' mentality. For some years I have used the procedure vehicle to avoid labeling everything. It does work, but there are some idiot auditors who don't like to buy it. You gotta ram it down their throats.

T

Tom Goetzinger

I was able to convince our auditor that it did not make good business sense to label all gages. Because this is true in our environment, and our auditor is a reasonable, experienced individual, I did not have to ram it down his throat.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Because this is true in our environment, and our auditor is a reasonable, experienced individual, I did not have to ram it down his throat.
Consider yourself lucky.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Calibration stickers on gages or on boxes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
R Validity of Calibration Stickers on Measuring Tapes and Rulers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
K Calibration Stickers on Measurement Equipment - Compulsory or not General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
M Done date & due date on calibration stickers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
V Gage Calibration Stickers in harsh environments - Are Calibration Stickers Required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Source for calibration stickers - Narrow "For Reference Use Only" wrap-a-round General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Interesting Discussion Using "Not A Calibrated Device" or "No Calibration Required" stickers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 63
D Illegible Calibration Stickers - Gages used in oily, dirty environment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P Calibration Stickers or Other Methods of Identifying when Gages are Due? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
Jerry Eldred Calibration Stickers - Do we have to put stickers on every gage and all equipment? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 38
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3