Calibration System - Finding Product Made with Out of Tolerance Torque Drivers

M

Mr Chip

Calibration System

We manufacture RF filters for cell phone base stations and use calibrated torque drivers for the mechanical assembly phase of our process. We calibrate our own electric torque tools. Occasionally, we will find a tool out of tolerance when we do a routine calibration check (usually every 3 months). Of course, that means product built with this tool from the last cal may be suspect. I would like to hear what practical methods or procedures others are using to control such a situation. Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

We had a torque transducer in the manufacturing area, and torque wrenches were required to be set against this daily, or at start of new job.

T

Torque Guy

OK here goes my first post!

I am new here and relatively new to metrology but here goes.

The first thing I would do is figure out if this is a calibration issue or an equipment issue.

What type of gages are you using? If they are those 36 in/lbs click screwdrivers then good luck. Some equipment is manufactured to an accuracy spec of +/- 6% as per ISO 6789. I have found that some manufacturers are not accredited to ISO 17025 and that they do not have any measurement system analysis programs in place to determine what their uncertainty is. That could mean with uncertainty your gages aren't capable of the process you are trying to measure.

Considering the cost of recall I would investigate getting better equipment if the equipment is suspect.

If it is a calibration issue how do you set the calibration intervals? If this gage is drifting out of spec how long does it take? What is the manufacturers specs for drift over time? You may just have to reduce the calibration intervals. Also look at your process on line. Is the operator using the tool as a hammer? (don't laugh I had this happen before)

Hope this helps. Please post back with your results.

D

D_Wood

Out of Tolerance - Trace Back

Well, this is my first post too.

I am wondering if Mr. Chip is looking for methods used to trace back and determine which tests may, or may not be required to be repeated? This is my question too, and what has brought me to this site.

Regardless of the calibration interval, there will be a time when an instrument is found to be out of tolerance. It can be very difficult to go back and figure out where it was used, and what was tested. A lot depends on the piece of equipment, the type of testing, and how well information is recorded and/or entered into a database, which is the delimma I am faced with now.

I may have to start a separate thread on this discussion alone, unless this is indeed what Mr. Chip is looking for. Then I will just follow this thread.

Thank you,
D_Wood

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
How about using something like a Stability Test (AIAG - MSA) to monitor the condition of the equipment on a regular basis and using a Control Chart to detect trends/ deterioration?

Bubba

Involved In Discussions
Regardless of the calibration interval, there will be a time when an instrument is found to be out of tolerance. It can be very difficult to go back and figure out where it was used, and what was tested. A lot depends on the piece of equipment, the type of testing, and how well information is recorded and/or entered into a database, which is the delimma I am faced with now.
At our facility we maintain strict documentation regarding the history of each lot of product. The calibrated equipment used in the manufacture and inspection of the lot is included in the documentation. When a calibration fails, we can go back to the documetation and identify which lots would be suspect.

This documentation also helps the users to be aware of the calibration status of the instruments they use since they are writing the information down on a regular basis.

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I apologize that I have been on vacation doing volunteer work in Haiti for 17 days and just got back to the office. I usually tell Marc when I'll be gone, but I believe I forgot this time...

In our company we have a process called "Material Review Board". Any process "glitch that could have compromised product integrity (quality, meet specs, etc..) is reviewed by engineers and they make a call (and document it) as to any non-conforming situation did or did not affect product integrity.

In your case of out of tolerance torque wrenches, we would send a report of the out of tolerance conditions to the material review board and let them decide if this OOT did or did not have impact.

I would not recommend a blanket interval change. I would recommend (if you are not already doing so) making sure you have a target %IN-TOLERANCE (% confidence any given reading is in tolerance), and adjust calibration intervals in accordance with that.

If you are recording data readings on your torque wrenches, you could do some analysis on the data and apply some statistics to them to determine what kind of confidence you have in readings, and perhaps even be able to give a probability of at what point during the previous calibration interval (to some level of confidence) that a given torque wrench went OOT (rather than having to trace back to the beginning of the calibration interval.

Just a few very belated thoughts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 - Measuring tools not in calibration system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Equipment for Oven Calibration, Uniformity and System Accuracy Tests AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Gman2 The current state of our Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
AshleyE Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
H Measurement System in Control if the Equipment requires Daily Calibration? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Incorporating New Electronic Test Equipment into our Calibration System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J AS9100C Calibration System Compliance Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S QMS (Quality Management System) and Calibration Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
W Calibration Register - Traceability - Data Transfer to a New System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
3 Vision System Optical Calibration Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Calibration Issue - Continuous Temperature Monitoring System was not Acceptable General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Druck DPI 620 Advanced Modular Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
AnaMariaVR2 Laboratory Equipment Quality System - Calibration, Maintenance and Inspection Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 10
S Do you include Penetremeters used in Radiography in your Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T System Calibration vs. Component Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R 3 Wire Thread Measuring System - Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Looking for a "User Friendly" calibration system software package Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M Constant for thread gage calibration with the three wire system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A TS16949 Calibration system - Concerned with Qualification of Administrator. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
S Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Advice on Handling a Camera Vision System Calibration Master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M How to implement a proper Calibration System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Vision System which verifies the correct part is present - Calibration / Verification Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
H Employee owned gages not entered in calibration system - AS9100 Clause 7.6 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
F Digital Multimeter - Verification vs. Calibration MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
V Poke Yoke Gage Calibration - Do you have them in your calibration system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Calibration - Out of Tolerance - Trace Back System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J UPS owned shipping carton weight scales - Include this in my Calibration system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Should weigh count scales be in the Calibration System? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
J Do Process gauges need to be in Calibration control system? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
I Calibration Items - Necessary to include the hand crimp tools into the system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3