Calibration System was In-House now Outside (External Service Provider)

S

StanH - 2009

Our company used to have an in-house calibration lab and tech. The lab and tech have since left the company and basically started their own company. They have been continuing doing our calibrations but our procedure has been structured around an in-house tech that goes around and gets equipment and updates our databases as he goes. I am wondering how to redo our procedure to say most, it not all calibrations will now be done by an independant lab. They do not have access to work instructions they used to use since they are no longer with the company but have "unoffical" docs they work from.

The other small thing I am concerned about is they have yet to receive the 17025 cert and "hope to have it by summer". I dont want to be caught with my pants down since I am in process of being moved into ISO Administrator. Just trying to find short and sweet "the tech does calibrations next door now instead of upstairs."

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

Phil Fields

Re: Calibration system was In-house now outside

How have you qualified and added this company/person to the Approved Supplier Llist?

S

StanH - 2009

Re: Calibration system was In-house now outside

I doubt it. They basically left company and were just told "keep doing what you were doing just not here." I was not involved with any talks being I am not that high on totem pole but if I am going to be responsible for the ISO docs I want to know things like this from now on.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Well, I would say it depends. Are you in an industry/ regulatory situation that requires 17025? If yes, you cannot use them until they get it.

I think Phil brought up my thought process. This new organization needs to be qualified to perform your calibration work. Now, in one instance, I don't think you'll have an issue in verifying their competence in doing your work. However, they are on their own, and there are several business decisions that go along with it. For example, what shape are their standards, do they have an adequate recall schedule, document control, etc.

I realize you probably know these folks, and they are 'great people'. However, they own their own business now, and don't have the allegiance to your organization they did before. You need to assure they will take care of business, and provide competent calibration for you. In addition, make sure it is documented very clearly they are contractors. I might even require them to provide liability insurance.

Also, whatever requirements you have of them (17025, etc.) you better put in writing, and have a deadline. If you are going to do that, you should have another vendor lined up in case they don't pan out.

As far as your procedures, if you put a specific reference to who was going to do the work in each one of them, eventually you will need to revise them. If it was me, I would put something a little more flexible in there for future business needs!;)

S

StanH - 2009

I think the catch 22 I see coming is that I can't change the procedure to say we aren't doing calibrations in house because these people don't want to be held liable because they aren't certified yet, which they want so they can expand their new buisness. My company has alot of FCC regs to follow and I am thinking I need to rewrite the procedure to be more flexible as to who does our calibrations. I do agree that this company needs to be added to an approved vendor list because if we fall into non-compliance they will say they have nothing to do with it since they don't work for our company. If we are hacing pizza day they always seem to still think they work here though. :cool:

BradM

Leader
Admin
I think the catch 22 I see coming is that I can't change the procedure to say we aren't doing calibrations in house because these people don't want to be held liable because they aren't certified yet, which they want so they can expand their new buisness. My company has alot of FCC regs to follow and I am thinking I need to rewrite the procedure to be more flexible as to who does our calibrations. I do agree that this company needs to be added to an approved vendor list because if we fall into non-compliance they will say they have nothing to do with it since they don't work for our company.
OK... be careful, Stan. I'm a little concerned for your situation. Now, I'm not talking about quality here (that's another situation). It needs to be very, very clear they are not employees. Not only liability issues, but if it is not clear enough (1099 is a must) and they don't pay their self-employment taxes, you could end up in a situation on that. Just make sure it's very clear. Make sure these contractors understand their responsibility in their new endeavor.

Why not revise your procedures to state that something like:
calibrations shall be performed against internal procedure XXXX by competent calibration personnel. Alternatively, calibrations can be performed by a qualified calibration source...
or something to that effect. Whose procedures are they performing work against?

If we are having pizza day they always seem to still think they work here though. :cool:
Hey... they need to be bringing you pizza, not the other way around!:tg:

S

StanH - 2009

Thanks for the advice. I don't know all the details but the people are not employees of my company anymore but are being handled as an outside vendor. The work instructions they are using are ours but they wrote them so I think someone said it was ok for them to use "un-offical docs" for testing purposes. It can be a whole can of worms the more I delve into it thats why I am trying to get a plan of attack if it blows up. Your suggestion for wording is what I was thinking to remove "in-house tech" to "an approved outside lab" and such. Thanks for the help. This is the biggest step I have had in my career and if I end up as THE man for ISO for the company I want to show them I am worthy.

K

Ken K

I'm curious if your cal lab was accredited when it was in-house?

The other small thing I am concerned about is they have yet to receive the 17025 cert and "hope to have it by summer". I dont want to be caught with my pants down since I am in process of being moved into ISO Administrator. Just trying to find short and sweet "the tech does calibrations next door now instead of upstairs."
Personally, I like your shorts:cool: I think after reading your posts your way past the point of being caught with your pants down. Seems like some deep doo-doo to me.

S

StanH - 2009

No we were not "an accredited 17025" lab. The in-house calibration was moved in-house by new owner to cut costs from outside labs. The 1st ISO audit we had after it was transitioned we had a major non-conformance due to un-traceability of test equipment and no gold standards. Our tech was basically using a meter to test a scope then the scope to test the meter so we had no standards. That was corrected and policies and procdures put in place and 9 months later we passed ISO with flying colors now 2 years after getting everything in line and under control everything is headding back out the door for calibration. Long long story on they who's and why's but I don't want to get into company business here but I have been slowing over time been put in charge of the calibration system for the company, kind of like putting a frog in a pot of water and slowly heating up the water till it is boiling and before he knows it you got frog soup.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Calibration Issue - Continuous Temperature Monitoring System was not Acceptable General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 - Measuring tools not in calibration system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Equipment for Oven Calibration, Uniformity and System Accuracy Tests AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Gman2 The current state of our Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
A Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
H Measurement System in Control if the Equipment requires Daily Calibration? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Incorporating New Electronic Test Equipment into our Calibration System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J AS9100C Calibration System Compliance Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S QMS (Quality Management System) and Calibration Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
W Calibration Register - Traceability - Data Transfer to a New System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
3 Vision System Optical Calibration Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Druck DPI 620 Advanced Modular Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
AnaMariaVR2 Laboratory Equipment Quality System - Calibration, Maintenance and Inspection Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 10
S Do you include Penetremeters used in Radiography in your Calibration System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T System Calibration vs. Component Calibration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R 3 Wire Thread Measuring System - Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Looking for a "User Friendly" calibration system software package Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M Constant for thread gage calibration with the three wire system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A TS16949 Calibration system - Concerned with Qualification of Administrator. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K TS 16949 Calibration System Audit - What questions will they ask me? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J Advice on Handling a Camera Vision System Calibration Master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M How to implement a proper Calibration System? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Vision System which verifies the correct part is present - Calibration / Verification Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
H Employee owned gages not entered in calibration system - AS9100 Clause 7.6 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
F Digital Multimeter - Verification vs. Calibration MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
V Poke Yoke Gage Calibration - Do you have them in your calibration system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D Calibration - Out of Tolerance - Trace Back System General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Calibration System - Finding Product Made with Out of Tolerance Torque Drivers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J UPS owned shipping carton weight scales - Include this in my Calibration system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Should weigh count scales be in the Calibration System? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
J Do Process gauges need to be in Calibration control system? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
I Calibration Items - Necessary to include the hand crimp tools into the system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Gravimetric blender for resin in automotive industry - periodical calibration via external lab with certification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
N Calibration Method for Scales and Flowmeters Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
T Calibration Tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Considering addition of mass calibration to ISO17025 scope ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Z Resolution in calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Run Down Adapters Calibration Processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Looking for accredited calibration lab - Onsite up to 650A and 1 kV. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
CaliperJim Screw Thread Micrometer Anvil Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Strange Juan HP 85054B Standard Mechanical Calibration Kit Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
H Air Pressure Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Calibration on AVL AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Determining an as received OOT condition during calibration does not affect measurements taken prior to calibration. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Sam.F Do heat treatment ovens need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
J Selecting reference standards for calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15