Calibration & Testing Lab here in the States - RA Audit - Wow!

K

Ken11

We're a calibration & testing lab here in the States. We just recently had our audit, in light of the recent ILAC actions with uncertainties, the accreditation bodies, etc., all I can say to start a discussion is .... Wow!

Anybody care to comment? Please.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
We're a calibration & testing lab here in the States. We just recently had our audit, in light of the recent ILAC actions with uncertainties, the accreditation bodies, etc., all I can say to start a discussion is .... Wow!

Thanks Ken11. Could you share more of your audit experiences ?

J

JAltmann

IMO any good lab shouldn't have an issue with these changes. The ones who have someone else create their uncertianty budget for them and don't really understand uncertianty are the one that will have trouble.

P

projectgregory

IMO any good lab shouldn't have an issue with these changes. The ones who have someone else create their uncertianty budget for them and don't really understand uncertianty are the one that will have trouble.
Well I would say that all staff in a lab should know how to write an uncertainty budget, or they are not a very good lab.

P

Pat McGhie

A little more detail would help... I am not sure if you are WOW'ed by how well you did or all of the items the auditor wrote up...

Pat in NH

K

Ken11

I guess a little more detail would indeed help. I am really hoping to hear from people who have recently went through their own audit.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I guess a little more detail would indeed help. I am really hoping to hear from people who have recently went through their own audit.

Thanks.
That's understandable, but without something specific to relate to I think many Covers would not know what to offer that would have meaning for you.

Are you referring to the 2010 ILAC Policy for Uncertainty in Calibration? If so, did something in it catch you by surprise? If so, what was it?

Put another way is it:-

Wow - that was easy!

Wow - that was awful!

Wow - we didn't see THAT one coming!

Wow - we made it, the auditor didn't look/ask about 'X'

Wow - why are we doing this!

Wow - we need to get another auditor/accreditation body...

??????

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Put another way is it:-

Wow - that was easy!

Wow - that was awful!

Wow - we didn't see THAT one coming!

Wow - we made it, the auditor didn't look/ask about 'X'

Wow - why are we doing this!

Wow - we need to get another auditor/accreditation body...

??????
I can only echo the others, having a wee bit more information regarding your assessment may help response.

As for the last statement, remember there are 6 ILAC Signatory ABs based in the US that do both test and cal labs. If you feel that strongly, then talk to the other five besides the one you signed with.

Uncertainty is a challenging subject, and not everyone can - or should - do the uncertainty budget in the lab, in my opinion, depending on lab size and personnel duties. But everyone does need to know enough to spot the contributions and understand the effect that the contributions have.

Just my thoughts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Calibration and Testing Laboratory Startup Consultation Services General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M ISO17025 Testing Laboratory Equipment Calibration Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
M Environmental Conditions for Calibration, Inspection, Measurement and Testing (7.6) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
6 Fuel Testing Laboratory Test Equipment - Methods and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Universal Testing Machine - Calibration and Measurement Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Regulations concerning Calibration of Stop Watches used for Testing Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Where do you draw the line on what fixtures/testing equipment require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 36
R ISO 17025 section 4.9 - Control of Nonconforming Testing and Calibration Work ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration of equipment in an A2LA accredited testing laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D Difference between Calibration, Testing and Inspection Laboratories? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R Calibration Companies - IASonline.org under Testing Laboratories General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
C Acceptable Testing Range for Calibration Studies on a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Sidney Vianna ANAB Expands to Offer Testing and Calibration Laboratory Accreditation ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
D Proficiency Testing - Interpersonnel comparison among the calibration technicians General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Does waste water equipment need calibration if we also outsource testing? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
K Internal Calibration - Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Calibration of Type A Glassware in Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Internal Testing and Calibration Laboratories - MSA, Gage R&R and Control Plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Procedure for Calibration of my Load Cell Testing Equipment - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Testing vs. Calibration - Do I have to comply with ASTM E4-03? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Product Testing/Calibration with reference to TS16949 requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A Calibration Software Validation - Are there any Testing Tools available? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
G Seeking Questions for Testing Prospective Electronic Calibration Technicians General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
D Looking for information on calibration proficiency testing (dimensional) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
E ISO 9001 Registered Calibration Facility for tooling & electronic testing equiptment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Marc Calibration of Software used for Testing Purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Calibration of Software used for testing purposes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
E Calibration Records during AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
John Predmore Calibration Determination decision Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
J ISO 17025 Calibration Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Electronic Weighing scale calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
M Bourdon gauge calibration procedure failure ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek Calibration question Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Calibration/Worn gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Settings rings calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R 7.1.5.2 -- Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Calibration Label issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JDJohnson Micrometer & Caliper Calibration (ISO-9001) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
B Precision Current Loop for Current Probe Calibration Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Strange Juan Freezers fridges Incubators Calibration Labels General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Calibration of Angle microscope stage micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K END CALIBRATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15