Calibration uncertainty with torque transducer

H

hugom

Hi,

My lab has a torque transducer+Reading unit used to calibrate torque wrenches.
The last certificate of calibration showed that it is no longer inside its specification (+/-0,3% FS). So I was thinking of correcting the errors through an interpolated polynomial correction (using Excel).
But now I don´t know what should be the uncertainties of my equipament, when I calibrate torque wrenches, in the total uncertainties budget (besides uncertainties associated to resolutions).
Should it be:
Uncertainty associated to the correction of values read by of my transducer+Reading unit
+Uncertainty associated of calibration of my transducer+Reading unit
+Uncertainty associated of drift between calibrations of my transducer+Reading unit

Is it complete ?

Despite the correction, shouldn´t I consider in some way the specified accuracy ot the torque transducer (I´m not even thinking of the specified accuracy ot the reading unit itself) ??

Does anyone have a idea ?

Thank you,
Hugo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
The actual readings themselves come in under Type A, or Random, uncertainty. The standard deviation is used to arrive at the standard uncertainty for the actual measurement indications.

Your type B, or Systemic, uncertainty, will include the influences you mentioned in your post, plus likely others. You will need to account for environmental influences, hysterisis of both the wrench and your system, coupling effects (if the connection of the wrench to the system is loose), and other effects as appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

G

Graeme

this is why history data is valuable

hugom said:
My lab has a torque transducer+Reading unit used to calibrate torque wrenches.
The last certificate of calibration showed that it is no longer inside its specification (+/-0,3% FS). So I was thinking of correcting the errors through an interpolated polynomial correction (using Excel).
But now I don´t know what should be the uncertainties of my equipament, when I calibrate torque wrenches, in the total uncertainties budget (besides uncertainties associated to resolutions).
Should it be:
Uncertainty associated to the correction of values read by of my transducer+Reading unit
+Uncertainty associated of calibration of my transducer+Reading unit
+Uncertainty associated of drift between calibrations of my transducer+Reading unit

Is it complete ?

Despite the correction, shouldn´t I consider in some way the specified accuracy ot the torque transducer (I´m not even thinking of the specified accuracy ot the reading unit itself) ??

Does anyone have a idea ?

Thank you,
Hugo
Hugo,

First, a disclaimer: I am not an expert in torque calibration, or any other type of force calibration. But I have been doing other types of calibrations for a long time ...

Your question -- the part about an interpolated polynomial correction -- implies that you do have historical calibration data for your torque transducer and possibly the display unit. Have you plotted the data on a run chart to see what the trend is? I use the reported value as the data point, and the uncertainty from the calibration certificate as both + and - error bars. After I have five data points, I add a moving average with n=5, and upper and lower limit lines calculated from 2 times the standard deviation of those five points.

This does several important things. You can see a trend and estimate at least one future point from that. The most recent moving average can be used as the "assigned value" of the standard. Also, the standard deviation is a measure of the actual performance of the standard, and you can use that value instead of the published performance specification. (Note that for uncertainty analysis, these are Type A values.) Finally, when the next point is plotted you can see immediately if it is reasonable of if there may be a problem. An outlier value that looks reasonable in a data table will jump out at you on a graph.

If you have plotted values and calculated the standard deviation for your transducer and display they can take the place of the published specifications. The only other things I can think of to consider would be environmental effects on the transducer and display as a system. You might be able to do a sensitivity analysis based on your historical temperature and humidity data in the lab and the published specifications of the standards. If it appears to be negligible you could leave it at that; otherwise add it in. Or you may want to set up some sort of experiment to gather data and analyze that.

One thing that is important to do -- since you have at least one data point that shows the transducer as out of specification, you need to have it recalibrated more often than before. You need data to keep track of its behavior. If it is stable at some new level then you can use that information as a correction. If it is no longer stable you probably need to replace it.

Additional Information --
You may also want to look at this document: EA Guidelines on the Calibration of Static Torque Measuring Devices. This is a guide to what needs to be considered in developing a calibration procedure for transducers, including a detailed treatment of uncertainty, but it is not a calibration procedure by itself.

Note that the series of Calibration Guides formerly available from the European cooperation for Accreditation (EA) have recently been transferred to the European Collaboration in Measurement Standards (EUROMET).

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hugom

Interpolation uncertainty

:thanks: Thank you Graeme and Hershal for your advices.

Since I don´t have much calibration history-I only have 2 calibrations for my transducer+reading unit- I´m considering the maximum relative drift between these 2 calibrations+50% as an uncertainty. It gives me a uncertainty of 1,5% of reading value, which is a lot. Do you think there is a better way ?

Graeme, you referred an estimate of the future drift for the calibrated points. But what about the points between them. How do you consider the uncertainty associated to the interpolation ? I have a problem: the interpolation (3rd degree) polynomial correction has a R<0,999. How could I improve it ?

Thank you once again for you help,
Hugo

G

Graeme

hugom said:
Since I don´t have much calibration history-I only have 2 calibrations for my transducer+reading unit- I´m considering the maximum relative drift between these 2 calibrations+50% as an uncertainty. It gives me a uncertainty of 1,5% of reading value, which is a lot. Do you think there is a better way ?

Graeme, you referred an estimate of the future drift for the calibrated points. But what about the points between them. How do you consider the uncertainty associated to the interpolation ? I have a problem: the interpolation (3rd degree) polynomial correction has a R<0,999. How could I improve it ?
Hugo,

With only two points, you really don't have enough data yet to be doing any interpolation. Three points would be a minimum and five points would be better. Some people have their standards calibrated more frequently than usual for the first year or two specifically so they can determine the behavior trends more quickly. (That's why patience is such a virtue in this business - it takes so long to get the necessary data.)

With only two data points (calibrations), I would question the value of anything other than a linear interpolation at this time.

The correlation coefficient (R), simply put, is a number that explains how much of the change is explained by the variables in the equation. If R = 0.999, then the equation of the regression line explains 99.9% of the data. Any value of R other than +1 or -1 indicates that there is, at some level, an influence that is not explained in the data you have right now. Since each situation is different, you would have to evaluate what those influences might be. The first thing I would do is calculate the standard deviation of the mean (SDOM) and convert it to a percent of the mean. If the difference between R and 1 is small compared to the SDOM then the effects may be small enough that you may choose to ignore them. If the difference is large compared to the SDOM then you probably should find out what other effects are at work. Note that you have to define "small" and "large" because it varies with your requirements, process and comfort level.

Before doing this, though, you need more data.

Graeme

D

Datumelectronics

Hugo[/QUOTE]
The actual readings themselves come in under Type A, or Random, uncertainty. The standard deviation is used to arrive at the standard uncertainty for the actual measurement indications.

Your type B, or Systemic, uncertainty, will include the influences you mentioned in your post, plus likely others. You will need to account for environmental influences, hysterisis of both the wrench and your system, coupling effects (if the connection of the wrench to the system is loose), and other effects as appropriate.

Hope this helps.

Hershal
Yes, I agree with you. I am also doing business related this and is information is also very helpful for business. Thank you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Calibration certificates avowing accuracy beyond the uncertainty limits? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
C MU (Measurement Uncertainty) in an Internal Calibration Laboratory Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
P Purpose of calculating Uncertainty value in calibration study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Help with uncertainty calculation in the calibration of a Pyrogen Test Processor Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
S MU (Measurement Uncertainty) for Oscilloscope Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
V How to use a Calibration Certificate in Uncertainty Calculation for a Test Measure Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 13
R Effects of Calibration Laboratory Temperature on Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
T Uncertainty in Hygrometer Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K New Gauges calibration certificate shows deviations from the measurement uncertainty IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
A Calibration Method and Measurement Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Z Force & Strain Calibration Uncertainty for ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
P Rounding Uncertainty to Zero on a Calibration Certificate Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
N Uncertainty of Calibration Master Reference Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
C Simple explanation of Uncertainty in Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
C Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) for Ring Gage Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
A Do you include UUT Specification in Uncertainty of Calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
B Length Measure - Interpreting Calibration Results and Measurement Uncertainty (MU) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
R Signal Conditioning Card - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M ILAC p14:12/2010 - Accredited Calibration Certificate Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A No Uncertainty Listed on Calibration Certificate: Is it traceable calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Uncertainty of Measurement for Calibration Laboratory? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
S Type B Uncertainty Estimation - Accuracy and Calibration Error Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
howste Determining Calibration Uncertainty with Unknown Reference Standard Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
J Simplified Uncertainty Equation for Pipette Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
T Universal Testing Machine - Calibration and Measurement Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Measurement Uncertainty in Extensometer Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
B Calculating Measurement Uncertainty in Oven Calibration (using thermocouples) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
howste Calibration Certificate Contents: How to report Measurement Uncertainty? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 18
N Calibration Report Uncertainty question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
L Calibration of ring thread gauge with master gauge: How to calculate Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Interpreting Hygrometer Calibration Uncertainty - Temperature Coefficient Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
T Volumetric Glassware (pipettes) Calibration Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
M Measurement Uncertainty for Electrical Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
Hershal Training by IAS in Uncertainty and CCT (Certified Calibration Technican) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Gage Block Calibration Results and Taking Uncertainty into Account General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J 17025 Para. 5.6.2 - Calibration certificates - Measurement results - Uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C Calibration/GR&R Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
C External calibration provider does not issue uncertainty of measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Hershal Measurement Uncertainty.....stirring up dust - MU variance for any given calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 21
S Uncertainty: When (& when not) to put in Calibration certificate Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
N How to determine Type-B uncertainty?What distribution?With Calibration beginner guide Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
K Calibration Report Uncertainty Budget - Discussion and Spreadsheets Attached Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
S Uncertainity & Student's T distribution - Calculus of uncertainty in calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Weight Calibration Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
D Calibration work instuctions - Micrometers, indicators, etc. showing the uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Marc Calibration Uncertainty Philosophy - Reality vs. Basic Theory (& Guardbanding) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7