Calibration - What do we need to calibrate and what don't we need to calibrate?

D

Dan De Yarman

Calibration

The company I work for is going for registration by the end of March 2000. I was wondering if anybody can help me with some questions about calibration. What do we need to calibrate and what don't we need to calibrate? I talked to our consultant today and we came to the conclusion that we didn't need to calibrate our machine shop. This was because our product is the machine not the details that are being machined. I brought up to him that no matter whether the detail is machined correctly or not, it still may or may not work in the machine, thus rework. I told him this is why the TE Supplement doesn't require us to track rework. Then I talked with someone else I work with. He said "How can you build quality machinery without quality parts?" Our machinists inspect their own parts, it is just their inspection equipment wouldn't be calibrated. He has a point that I agree with, I just don't know how to address this issue. Someone please help. By the way is there a way to get around calibrating tape measures?

Dan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

Tom Goetzinger

You only need calibrate those IMTE devices which are used by you "to demonstrate the conformance of your product to the specified requirements". In our environment, the fabricated parts (mostly brackets and such) do not affect final product quality. The electronic testing devices we use to perform final product checks do. Because of that, the electronic testing devices are calibrated and the gauges used in the machine shop are not. Unless tape measures are used to determine final product quality, you should not need to calibrate them. Just be prepared to justify your decisions to your registrar and to show evidence that you have thought about it and decided what to calibrate and what not to calibrate.
If you like, I think I have a bunch of information from another forum that I could email you.
Good luck with your project.

------------------
Tom Goetzinger

D

Dan De Yarman

Tom, that would be fine with me. Thank you for your advice. My e-mail address is [email protected]

Has anyone else heard of a solution similar to the one I mentioned previously? Anything would be useful.

Thanks,

Dan

D

Dan De Yarman

I would like to know what my options are for IMTE which probably won't pass calibration, but want to be retained for reference purposes. Do we put them in a quarantine area separate from our inspection department, just lock them up, label them, or all of the above?

Dan

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You don't have to segregate it - you have to mark it appropriately such as "For Reference Only". It still has to be in your system, however.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Scale with Internal Calibration - Do I need to calibrate? How to document this? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
V Calibration of a Digital Vernier - Need to check/calibrate/validate all 3 functions? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Glassware calibration - Do we need to calibrate or recalibrate laboratory glassware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Calibration of steel rulers - Why do I need to calibrate it again? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
M Need help in Calibration of Directional Coupler General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Need to convert Reference Only M&TE to a calibration schedule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Can some measurements be considered information only and not need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Qualifications I need to adhere to for Thread Gage Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
T New Equipments calibrated by Manufacturer need Calibration from Independent Labs? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Need thoughts on calibration of Class A volumetric glassware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Need Calibration Provider for Capillary Rheometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
N Need Calibration Service for Mechanical Tester - Zwick Roell General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Need to Audit an External Calibration Laboratory? - Customer Audit Finding Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Does Welding Equipment need or require Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 30
L Calibration of Dial Thickness Gauge - What reference standard need I follow? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Do all gages need calibration or only those used for final inspection? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 49
F Do Calibration Suppliers need to be included in the list of Approved Suppliers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
U I need All ISO 17025 Documents for a calibration laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
M Surface plates - Questioning the need for periodic calibration of surface plates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
C Calibration Certificates - Do Calibration Certificates Need to be Reviewed? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 42
D ISO/TS16949 Internal Calibration Lab need to include Production Equipments IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
D Does waste water equipment need calibration if we also outsource testing? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
J Demagnetizers - Need for calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Calibration Tags - External company applied their tags - Do I need to apply our tags Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Jerry Eldred Need to spec a L.F. Differential Amp for a Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Need to send out for Calibration or Self-calibration? HP model# 35670A analyzer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Agilent Power Sensor Calibration - Need a Calibration Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
R Certifications (Certificate) of calibration - Where do I need to have them? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
C Opening a new Calibration Laboratory - Need help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A ISO 14001 Calibration Requirements: Do ALL measuring devices need to be calibrated? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
V Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
K Need of calibration procedures for sine plates, v-blocks, and parallel bars General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Raffy What kind of Training do we need for Calibration? What topics? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Do Process gauges need to be in Calibration control system? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10