California Board of Pharmacy License for Medical Devices??

Hello,

We have a customer that is insisting the DC needs a California Board of Pharmacy License before they can ship a Convenience Kit to them that contains a scalpel. There are no drugs in the kit so i disagree with needing a drug license.
Can anyone help shed some light as to what they might be referring to. I am at a loss :confused:
Thanks!
Vicki

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Why not ask the customer what they're referring to and where they got the information?
Thanks Jim,
We currently sell to ...many... DC's and we do not require a drug license unless the kit has a drug in it. The part in question is a scalpel in the kit. When I read the 2021 California Lawbook for Pharmacy it mentions dangerous device but i still do not understand the need for a drug license when a scalpel is clearly not a drug.

Posing the question to them might open a can of worms so i wanted to check with the forum before i reached out to them.
Thanks again for your help!

Thanks Jim,
We currently sell to ...many... DC's and we do not require a drug license unless the kit has a drug in it. The part in question is a scalpel in the kit. When I read the 2021 California Lawbook for Pharmacy it mentions dangerous device but i still do not understand the need for a drug license when a scalpel is clearly not a drug.

Posing the question to them might open a can of worms so i wanted to check with the forum before i reached out to them.
Thanks again for your help!
I saw that sutures and syringes are mentioned in the dangerous devices list in the California Lawbook for Pharmacy. I worked for a 503B Pharmacy in Quality and Manufacturing a few years ago and remember that the California regulations seem to be much more comprehensive than other states. I'd agree that making an inquiry to learn where the request is coming from is a great idea.

I saw that sutures and syringes are mentioned in the dangerous devices list in the California Lawbook for Pharmacy. I worked for a 503B Pharmacy in Quality and Manufacturing a few years ago and remember that the California regulations seem to be much more comprehensive than other states. I'd agree that making an inquiry to learn where the request is coming from is a great idea.
Thank you Vagabondbettie.
It just seems strange that we sell to one of the largest medical device distributors in the country and they are saying they can't ship from their Texas facility to their California facility because of a scalpel. We ship this kit to 3 of their other facilities with no issues. Is this just a California thing?
Thanks again!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hershal California Air Resources Board (CARB) requirements become Fed law Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H California Instrument AC Load - 222 Error Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
K California's Proposition 65 - Solvent and Stainless Steel Alloy questions RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
Hershal Fire disaster in Southern California (Blue Cut fire) - August 2016 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
Hershal Quake north of SF California - 10 March 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
I California Food & Drug Branch require components manufacturer to obtain license? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
S Labeling & Packaging Procedure required by the state of California ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M California Proposition 65 Compliant (no more than 600 ppm touch area) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Hershal Another California fire Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
P California Device Manufacturing License 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P APQP Training Classes in the Los Angeles, California area Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
T Rental Car References wanted - July in California Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 10
A Top Brand Flat Screen LCD & Plasma TVs - California Ban After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
C Bachelors Degree in Quality Assurance Science from California National University Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Coury Ferguson Danger: Fire in San Fernando Valley, California-Firestorm is here Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
V California FDB (Food & Drug Branch) inspection experiences? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Sidney Vianna Accredited QMS Lead Auditor Course in California Feb.25-29 General Auditing Discussions 0
Q Offsite ISO TS 16949 Internal Audit Training - Pacific Northwest including California Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
Jim Wynne Have Any Coverinos Been Affected by the California Fires? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Marc California Sues Carmakers over Global Warming World News 14
B MSQA from CSU(DH) Online Courses - California State University Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
S Visiting southern California Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
M MSQA Program at California State University Career and Occupation Discussions 3
S ISO Certification - Consultant organization - California Manufacturing Technology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Origin of Material Review Board AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
gohyl Printed Circuit Board - Unusual sighting between pads, is it normal. Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
S Searching for TOYOTA Floor Management Development System (FMDS) board Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
F Circuit board FAI reports- How do you folks deal with these? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Example of a defined procedure for carrying out Material Review Board (MRB) Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
T Quality auditor legal right to see Board meeting minutes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
rerusk1 MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
W Printed Circuit Board - IMDS declaration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
S PPAP Progress - Visual Status Board APQP and PPAP 0
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
C Is CE Mark needed for a small DAC audio board on top of a Rasberry PI? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Board Games - 2018 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
S MRB (Material Review Board) Investigations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Layered Process Audits using Kamishibai Board Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
M Quality Board Membership and Responsibilities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
K Fast Response Tracking Board (QSB+) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
D Validation Review Board - Industry Standards for Validation Teams ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V Printed Circuit Board Assembly and Components FAI Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
I International Accreditation Board of Bristol, UK ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
alonFAI Definition Failure Review Board and FRACAS - Relationship and differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
J I am looking for a Material Review Board (MRB) meeting agenda ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Proposed FDA Board of Directors - 2013 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1