Caliper Calibration on a Shoestring

E

El Capten

I just started a position at a new company and need to set up a gage calibration program - nothing exists right now, and there is no real budget for it this year. I have purchased a set of Gage blocks and am able to calibrated the caliper jaws to check outside dimensions from zero to 6 inches.

I am looking for ideas on how to calibrate the calipers' inside reading blades myself. I dont have the option of buying an expensive check device at this time, and would rather not have to send the calipers out for outside calibration work.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

smkeilman

If you're doing a full scale calibration on the outside jaws (0, 2, 4, and 6 in. for example) and your caliper has only one scale (such as a digital or dial caliper), then only a single point check is needed to calibrate the inside jaws and depth rod (if applicable). You can use a master ring gage to do this, or, if you have square gage blocks, you can also purchase end blocks.

A .500" XX Ring gage has a tolerance of +/- 15 millionths and will run you about $100. You'll need to send this out for calibration periodically.

You should check the ring at the edge of the jaws and near the base to check the parallelism of the jaws.

If the caliper has separate scales for inside and outside measurement, then you will need to do a full scale check.

B

bkelchner1957

I use 3 ring gages, which are then calibrated with the gage blocks by an outside calibration lab annually. ID measurement frequently goes out when calipers are dropped. Also tip wear with use. I have seen depth rod wear also. Can check OD, Step and Depth rod with Gage blocks, ID needs Ring gages.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
If you're doing a full scale calibration on the outside jaws (0, 2, 4, and 6 in. for example) and your caliper has only one scale (such as a digital or dial caliper), then only a single point check is needed to calibrate the inside jaws and depth rod (if applicable). You can use a master ring gage to do this, or, if you have square gage blocks, you can also purchase end blocks.

A .500" XX Ring gage has a tolerance of +/- 15 millionths and will run you about $100. You'll need to send this out for calibration periodically.

You should check the ring at the edge of the jaws and near the base to check the parallelism of the jaws.

If the caliper has separate scales for inside and outside measurement, then you will need to do a full scale check.
I agree that a ring gage is what you need. I would be worried if your company balks at $100. That said, if you don't have square block set with end blocks you can mimic it with 3 gage blocks in a row rung together. The two end blocks slightly off the edge of the center block and use those exposed faces. Now I would only do that for calipers and only until you are allowed to buy a ring gage.

P

PaulJSmith

... if you don't have square block set with end blocks you can mimic it with 3 gage blocks in a row rung together. The two end blocks slightly off the edge of the center block and use those exposed faces. Now I would only do that for calipers and only until you are allowed to buy a ring gage.
Perhaps as a casual check, but not sure I'd want to try to justify that for an actual calibration.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Y porque no ? Unless you're using calipers beyond their intended accuracy, precision and reliability it should do the job. They're the pair of pliers of precision measurement - good for everything and not particularly great for anything.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
I agree. It is quick and dirty and more of a sanity check than a calibration. That is why I tried to surround it with caveats. I did forget to mention you still need to hold the blocks together mechanically. It is merely better than not checking the inside jaws at all. But I wouldn't use calipers for anything tight. I can't think when we use them for less than +/-.015.

R. Webb

Involved In Discussions
To calibrate the inside reading blades I use a micrometer that I have calibrated with blocks. Many of the calipers I calibrate are 12 inch variety and the inside blades have visible and distinguishable flat spot. This makes using a ring gauge a little problematic. The flats on the micrometer anvils work just fine. I set the micrometer to whatever is convenient at the time and measure the distance with the caliper.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Q Using Caliper A to verify Caliper B - Verification of Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L Caliper Calibration Standards - One for CNC and one for Sheet Metal? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Q Engineering purchased a new Caliper - 7.6 - Initial Calibration Required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
B How do I calculate Correction to Caliper Calibration Data General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Calibration of Pin Gages using a Calibrated Caliper that measures to 4 decimal places General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
H Can you tell me a suitable "tooling" for Caliper Calibration - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
E Possible escapes due to caliper out of calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
J Caliper Calibration Instruction - Example Caliper Calibration Procedure Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
J Digital Caliper Calibration vs. Verification - Full Scale vs. Used Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
B Electric 0-8" Caliper Calibration Tolerance Question. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
DietCokeofEvil What is the general consensus on Caliper tolerances? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Procedure Creation specifically for dimensional (caliper, micrometer, dti) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Caliper or Micrometer's Dimensional Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Manual Procedure with Uncertainty Budgeting for either a Caliper or Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T GR&R Data from Caliper Measurements APQP and PPAP 3
N Digital vs Dial Caliper Comparison Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
C Uncertainty measurements for a 6 inch caliper Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
P Strange Gage R&R results for a Caliper (Tolerance Method) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B Please review my Vernier Caliper Gauge R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
F What are the Advantages of a Digital Caliper Compared with a Dial Caliper? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
4 Federal Specification GGG-C-105C - Caliper, Micrometer, Gage, Depth Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Do we need a Gage R&R on Caliper used for Product Audits? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Uncertainty in Length Measurement using a Caliper Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
T Vernier Caliper Accuracy Issue - Inside measurements were slightly off General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Advice for a Length Gage other than Caliper for 52"+ Aluminum Tube Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
J Easy Method to Test a Caliper - Good or bad? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Jim Wynne Great Moments In Metrology History--Underwear Caliper Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
A Usage of Calibrated Equipment - Vernier Caliper Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
B Must a vernier caliper and a rule be calibrated according to ISO 9001? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 50
apestate Etalon Dial Caliper Gage Information Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P How to Interpret Caliper GR&R (Gage R&R) Graphical Result Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Best Caliper for Shop Use? Digital vs. Dial Caliper vs. Vernier-type General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 53
J Dial Caliper or Digital Caliper - Which is the best? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 27
M Slide caliper gage R&R - What range and kind of samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J Caliper repair procedure - I need a caliper repair procedure for dial calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A How to Calibrate a Vernier Caliper - Detailed Procedure General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
D Help - FDA Audit - Caliper Calibrated .750 Use - Calibrated @ 0 & 1" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
H Five Foot Caliper vs. Tape Measure - Tolerance issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D No In-house laboratory - Does this mean I have to send out simple things like caliper General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G Calibration of Rotronic probe but not digital readout? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2