SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Calling a medical device a medical device (when it might not be one..)

James

Involved In Discussions
Hi

I'm just wondering about the implications and/or costs or benefits of calling a product a MD if it is perhaps more accurately not a medical device but a general consumer product?

I am thinking in particular of a software application that we have developed and we have placed on the market (albeit we do not charge for its use). It is software, which helps parents to make decisions about whether their baby is unwell. It isn't diagnostic (in my opinion) but it is 'informative'.

It would be useful to get some thoughts from the forum

Thanks

James

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

James

Involved In Discussions
Well, if it is a medical device, then you are subject to regulation regardless of whether or not YOU call it an MD, or whether or not you charge for it.
Thanks for your contribution. However, I'm fairly sure that you are wrong. The claims made by the manufacturer are paramount in determining a devices status, and it would ultimately be for the courts to rule otherwise.

If it is not an MD but you call it an MD, then you are improperly (falsely?) advertising it.
No, not if the claims we are making are upheld by the courts. If an item is blatantly a MD and the opposite is being claimed, then this of course would initiate swift regulatory action; for example if i was trying to sell the shoddy heart pacemaker I made in my shed as a wellness and lifestyle product :)

Thanks, that's useful information. It seems fairly vague, but I've not delved right into it yet. Also, just because a medical device is a medical device in one jurisdiction doesn't mean it will be in another. We have similar UK guidance, albeit the framework is under revision. The big question for me with the device I'm questioning is "what does 'diagnostic' actually mean in a MD regulatory context?"

3 examples to illustrate this:
1. Some software, based on its input data and functionality, is able to DIAGNOSE a condition. This is medical device
2. Some software asks users some questions, and predicts on the basis of the answers that the user 'MAY' have a condition, but clarifies that a Physician and further formal diagnostic tests need to take place in order to confirm this. I would categorise this as a medical device (as I suspect would UK regulators), but the courts may rule differently should they become involved.
3. Some software asks users some questions, and predicts on the basis of the answers that the user should get further input from a Physician to form a diagnosis. Is this software as a diagnostic medical device?? I think not, and I think the manufacturer could justifiably state this in their claims. The regulator isn't sure. Claims could be challenged in either direction. The courts would ultimately decide (if they got involved).

James

Involved In Discussions
It has nothing to do with calling it anything. It comes down to what you say (Claim) the device does or doesn't do.
I think the wording in my original post was sloppy (I was rushing). instead of 'calling' it, I would say 'classifying' it, which is of course associated with its claims. The 'claims' introduce a new set of issues, as per my 3 theoretical examples. Have you seen a clear definition of 'diagnostic' in a regulatory context Ed?

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
I understand you want to keep the product anonymous. I'll ask a more basic question: Could the use of your "Device" impact the actions a user would take in regards to their or another's health?

the FDA in warning letters often uses the phrase:

"intended for use in the mitigation, prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or cure of xxx disease"

If you are unsure review what FDA states in warning letters here:

Warning Letters | FDA

From CDRH and see if you have strong answers to these types of accusations.

Also, is this device related to COVID-19? FDA is really slamming devices with any mention of COVID-19 to prevent taking advantage of the crisis.

If you are still unsure search the 510(k) database for devices similar to what yours claims...

510(k) Premarket Notification (fda.gov)

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
This appears to be a diagnostic device and could be class IIa as it appears to allow direct diagnosis (baby is unwell/not unwell).

MHRA has recently changed it's view on intended use. They will look at what the consumer believes the product is intended to be used for:

"Based on the surrounding circumstances e.g. the labelling, instructions for use, promotional material, its mode of action and manner of use as perceived by the consumer, it is possible for an objective observer such as the MHRA or an averagely informed consumer to view the product as a medical device."

It's from a compliance case looking at baby monitors:
Medical devices: information for users and patients

Nisha

Starting to get Involved
The classification of the device is based on Intended Purpose or use of the device or claims you are targeting on the product.
Here is a link guidance on SaMD (Software as medical device including apps) from MHRA:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Specifically calling out the use of lower level documents in higher ones. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
Marc The "I am calling you from Windows" telephone scam After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
BradM Calling all Regression Analysis Pros! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B 'Doing Quality' - But calling it something else Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
E Submitting a letter of resignation and calling it quits Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M Egypt is calling - Some Information about Egypt Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
F Definition Retention Zone - What exactly are you calling zones of retention? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
A Calling / Referencing National Standards in Quality Manuals Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0
L EOL milestone in Medical Devices Regulations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
U EN 455-4 Accelerated Shelf Life tests for Medical Gloves Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Does the scope of ISO 9001:2015 applies to tenders, pricing and sales department of a medical devices distributor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Statistics and / or Forecasts on medical products exports from China Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
K Unused Service Parts in Newly Manufactured Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B A.I diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Medical device repairs (to upholstery) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
F Medical cart self certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Clinical Trial for Medical devices in Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Apple Provides New Medical Device Cautions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
DanBOS Cloud Connected Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
dgrainger Informational DRAFT: The Medical Devices (Coronavirus Test Device Approvals) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
dgrainger Informational DRAFT: The Medical Devices (Northern Ireland Protocol) Regulations 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
M California Board of Pharmacy License for Medical Devices?? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
P Retention Samples for medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Obsolescence of the Medical Device in Various Countries Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A IT-NETWORK in PEMS Sub-Clause 14.13 for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G Medical Device - Borderline/Definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P European Medical Device Nomenclature (EMDN) and CND EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Reseller Request to Change UPC on Medical Device via Re-labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Hand Held medical device - power supply requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E Medical device applicability to WEEE Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Medical First Article - Can it be a Delta? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical Device Label Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Book - Fundamentals of Medical Device Regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R "Medical devices" required in scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R X-RAY Based Diagnostic Veterinary medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Z Over The Air (OTA) updates for medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Tukery Medical Device Regulstion Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7