Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management review?

Hi!
I currently oversee the QS in 2 sites in 2 different countries. Neither site manufactures and both sites use many of the same procedures (design control, CAPA, management review, internal audit, change control, supplier management...). Each site has their own ISO13485 cert (therefore their own quality manual) with 2 different NBs. Where it is challenging is how to distinguish the scope - recently the roles/responsibilities with the different functions have overlapped. For example, R&D has the same VP who assigns projects to engineers across both sites, regardless of product, and the top leadership is at both sites (some functions are at one site and other functions are at the other site). We can handle this resource sharing with a quality agreement as out-sourced processes so I’ll live with that.

Currently each site has their own management review. However the content of each site’s review is redundant or conflicting or incomplete. So my question is - is it possible to have 1 management review across 2 sites as long as the proper site metrics/attendees are included? That way the management with exec responsibility only attends one review that is comprehensive. Does the management rep have to be physically located at each site (so we would need 2 if combined) or can we just have one (for example, it could be me since I’m over the QS for both sites, even though I’m located at one site)?

I understand the risk of 1 review is exposing more metrics than needed to the other NB, but we can clearly indicate which slides belong to which site. On a side note, we will not be merging the certs under one NB.

Thanks for any input you may have!
Wicker

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management rev

Seems like a good idea to me. What's more interesting to me is the frequency and who does most of the talking, the role of the audit findings etc.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Re: Can 2 different sites under different Quality System have a common management rev

Wicker,

In your organization, do these individual plants reporting into a Corporate structure (i.e. you)? There is nothing wrong in your approach but would also suggest another approach from my past role.

We had plants across different geographies owning their individual ISO certificate; so these plants used to have their internal management review meetings twice a year; but in addition, we had a Senior Management Review Meeting hosted by Corporate group that additionally, included all plants.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Hi!
I currently oversee the QS in 2 sites in 2 different countries. Neither site manufactures and both sites use many of the same procedures (design control, CAPA, management review, internal audit, change control, supplier management...). Each site has their own ISO13485 cert (therefore their own quality manual) with 2 different NBs. Where it is challenging is how to distinguish the scope - recently the roles/responsibilities with the different functions have overlapped. For example, R&D has the same VP who assigns projects to engineers across both sites, regardless of product, and the top leadership is at both sites (some functions are at one site and other functions are at the other site). We can handle this resource sharing with a quality agreement as out-sourced processes so I’ll live with that.

Currently each site has their own management review. However the content of each site’s review is redundant or conflicting or incomplete. So my question is - is it possible to have 1 management review across 2 sites as long as the proper site metrics/attendees are included? That way the management with exec responsibility only attends one review that is comprehensive. Does the management rep have to be physically located at each site (so we would need 2 if combined) or can we just have one (for example, it could be me since I’m over the QS for both sites, even though I’m located at one site)?

I understand the risk of 1 review is exposing more metrics than needed to the other NB, but we can clearly indicate which slides belong to which site. On a side note, we will not be merging the certs under one NB.

Thanks for any input you may have!
Wicker
You can have. After all its your management reviewing.
The catch is to understand "Review" and "Record" in its right perspective.
You don't need to have meetings and people attending at a common place and time.
It will do you a lot good if you have records suitably maintained for each of your 2 different site reviews.
Its finally all about Review Inputs... Decisions... and Review Outputs

Thanks for the responses. I didn’t think it was an issue but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a detail from ISO13485 or CFR or maybe even another reg/standard.

To answer the questions...
We conduct quarterly management reviews.
Yes, each site will have the proper information filed as evidence (presentation, attenddees and minutes). The tricky part is making sure any distinction is made in action items if the action item only pertains to one site.

The 2 sites I mentioned do not have manufacturing - but they have the sub-systems I mentioned. There are manufacturing sites but they have their own management reviews that feed up to corporate.

Thanks again,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 - Different Registrars for remote and manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Anvisa Manufacturer Audit - Product produced at two different Sites Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
W Quality Policy in Company - Different Policies at different Sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Separate Quality Manuals for Different Sites Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
V Customer Representative - Can 1 Customer Representative cover 2 different sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
automoto Corporate Audit Scheme - 4 companies at different sites IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
N Contract Review Consolidation - Two different manufacturing sites Contract Review Process 2
S ISO9 "Support Sites" question? Different Buildings but one company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Different Authorized Representative and distributors in Saudi Arabia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
R IEC 60601-1 - Different methods of achievement of the isolation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
M Different procedure templates for different standards - We have two different management systems ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Identical Sales Package in Different Countries Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
E Different requirements for Class II and Class III Medical Devices Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
C Subsidiaries; same/different Quality Policies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q Controlling documents in two different Applications ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
H IFU in different language other than English EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Ethicon Suture - Why Ethicon specs are different internationally Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Different websites for different markets - FDA, Health Canada or other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
E Different types of Actions? CARs, OFIs or N/A ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
smryan ISO 9001:2015 8.6 & 8.5.1.h) - Redundant or different? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Additional Controls for processing the raw data on different computers (processing system) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
MrTetris Informational Risk Register - Same hazardous situation, different severity of harms ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A PFMEA severity score different applications FMEA and Control Plans 11
xfngrs How similar or different are IATF 16949 Vs. ISO 13485 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
I Requirements for different Labeling Levels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S CE Marking requirements - A Medical device with different config sold under same name EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W Transport validation to different climate zones ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
W Design and Process Validation - Different? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Is it ok to provide a different language upon request? EU Medical Device Regulations 25
O New stability - Yes or No - Similar product but for different intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Design Transfer between two companies with different QMS CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
R Medical devices certified by different notified bodies EU Medical Device Regulations 6
V Software as control or protection will lead to different Software Safety Class? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
M I have 3 different factors - DOE help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Q Is it acceptable to mix components from two different lots into an assembly? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
H Numbering for documents with same content but different language ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4