Can a CEO be the management representative

Hi!
Dear colleagues, I really need your advice.
There is a small engineering holding, just three companies in different countries. Two of them have less than 5 persons of staff, including the Head Quarter. I'm the management representative for all the sites.
Now we're going to be certified AS9100 D as a multiple sites organization.
Shall each of the companies formally have its own management representative?
If not, can the management representative participate the external certification audit remotely?
If not, can the head of a company be formally assigned as a management representative?

Thank you for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I've been letting the OP (title) question stew for a while; the above reply from @Randy helps clarify my thoughts. The CEO certainly could serve in the role of management representative (for any quality system that formally requires such a role), but for the small number of different types of Quality Systems I'm aware of, I wouldn't want the CEO in that role... because ultimately the CEO and MR roles ought to have both different skill sets and different problems to address. I'm not trying to argue that the MR is going to have priorities that are in conflict with the CEO, just that the MR needs to be focused on that job as opposed to worrying about what the CEO might be thinking... because the CEO has a different perspective and needs those that report to her to do assigned jobs.

A CEO who is interested in how well the quality system is operating is great! Yet... I'm sure we've all had experiences in which a supervisor spent too much time and attention in one area to the detriment of other areas.

Randy

Super Moderator
I've been letting the OP (title) question stew for a while; the above reply from @Randy helps clarify my thoughts. The CEO certainly could serve in the role of management representative (for any quality system that formally requires such a role), but for the small number of different types of Quality Systems I'm aware of, I wouldn't want the CEO in that role... because ultimately the CEO and MR roles ought to have both different skill sets and different problems to address. I'm not trying to argue that the MR is going to have priorities that are in conflict with the CEO, just that the MR needs to be focused on that job as opposed to worrying about what the CEO might be thinking... because the CEO has a different perspective and needs those that report to her to do assigned jobs.

A CEO who is interested in how well the quality system is operating is great! Yet... I'm sure we've all had experiences in which a supervisor spent too much time and attention in one area to the detriment of other areas.
Excellent response.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
As a small company, I would welcome the CEO as the management representative.
This highlights the importance of the quality system to the organization.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Is it Possible to Exclude Top Management (CEO, Chairman) in the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
H Top Management and CEO - What questions will be asked during audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
P Can CEO perform internal audit Internal Auditing 11
G QMS - Selling the idea to the CEO! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
R Should the CEO Need a Job Description? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Wes Bucey Are you nice? Interview with a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Ajit Basrur The CEO Story Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
S How would you live with a suspicious CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 5
R Looking into the eyes of your company's president, CEO, or boss Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
P Preparations for an interview with a company CEO Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
T Absent CEO - My CEO and Engineering Manager have been laid off ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc Ford CEO gets $28M for 4 months work World News 15
Marc Oil Company CEO Pay Averaged $32.7 Million in 2005, Study Says World News 2
C Letter to your CEO on Quality The Reading Room 32
Marc Keep Your Resume Accurate - Lying on Resume cost CEO his job and $25.1 million Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
Marc Want to get raises? Become a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Jim Wynne How to become a CEO Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Nice job if you can get it: CEO compensation jumps 30% in 2004 Career and Occupation Discussions 0
sonflowerinwales To implement IS14001 or not - Just been asked by my CEO Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 34
C Jobs Outsourcing and CEO Pay Raises World News 5
I Auditing the CEO - How? What should our Internal Auditor ask? Internal Auditing 6
E CEO Involvement - How far do I go with insisting that they attend meetings, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Discussing Quality Objectives with a new CEO - What would YOU ASK? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Marc COO - CEO -- Who's Responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Internal Audit of CEO or MD, not MR Internal Auditing 1
E Electronic Data Management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
G Help:Risk Management - Accessories US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
N Writing Risk Management procedure for small manufacturing and we don't know where to start. Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
J Periodic review of Documents during management review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
J Document Control of Online Management Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Clinical evaluation interface with the risk management process EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Integrated Management System (IMS) - Process Vs Clause Based Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Critical spare management guideline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q The Management system is too much ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J ISO 10993-1:2018 Format to Perform Risk Management Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E Visual Management Boards & QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Scope of management review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Risk Management Procedure updates needed for 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
D Electronic Document Management System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
Sidney Vianna ISO 37301 - Compliance management systems – Requirements with guidance for use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
G Auditing Top management: 6.3 ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
qualprod Minimize tomention other positions to ease the QMS management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/NP TS 17012 - Guidelines for use of remote methods in conducting audits of management systems Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20