Can a Consultant be the main contact for a Medical Device Company?

M

MiaQMS

Can I ask a generic question here regarding the use of consultants...sorry in advance if this has already been addressed.

Can a Consultant, specifically those who help out Medical Device Companies, be the main contact for a the certification body, or does there need to be a Quality representative based in the company too? I ask, because my company wants to employ a consultant rather than an onsite Quality/RA Manager and I wanted to know if this was ok to do so.

Background information: The company is based in the UK, currently hold ISO13485 and MDD certification for Class IIa and IIb devices on the market. TIA

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

fialor

Involved In Discussions
MiaQMS, It is possible to do but not ideal.
The requirement is to be able to demonstrate that there sufficient resources to support the implementation and effective management of the QMS. If the consultant can do this then it is ok.
The best approach I think would be to speak with your NB as they can be advise. Though in my experience unless your business is extremely small, NBs prefer that the contact with them is an effective employee.

Last edited:

robertjbeck

Involved In Discussions
As a consultant, I have done this for several of my client companies. I find that NB's appreciate professional handling of their inquiries. It can be a problem sometimes if too much responsibility is turned over to a consultant, but in today's business environment this is not unusual.

if the company does have a permanent employee who will responsibly deal with these types of communications and forward them appropriately, then that is better. But it does no good and can cause harm if the employee ignores them because regulatory/quality issues are not in his/her job description or tries to answer questions without having the knowledge to do so.

M

MiaQMS

Thank you FIALOR and ROBERTJBECk for your responses. These have been really useful, I wondered was there something in the Directive or standard that didn't allow this but it makes more sense now and I'm glad to hear that it is 'allowed' per se.:thanx:

J

Julie O

As a regulatory consultant, I wouldn't recommend it. I would also say that it's not a good sign if the company has no permanent employee responsible for their QMS that can handle the NB's inquiries professionally. Regardless, I would not use the same contact for ISO 13485, which is a quality standard, and MDD certification, which is a regulatory requirement. Quality and regulatory are two separate areas of expertise.

robertjbeck

Involved In Discussions
theoretically your answer is correct. in the real world, with small to mid-size companies, management may not be aware of such subtle distinctions between regulatory and quality standards. there is often a lack of understand about which standards apply. as for quality and regulatory being two separate areas of expertise, yes that's correct especially when applied to software but it's also irrelevant. these two areas are tightly linked, for instance in Canada, the Canadian Medical Device Regulations are very applicable to ISO 13485 audits. Try getting through a medical device quality systems audit ignoring those regulations ...

J

Julie O

Companies that do not market medical devices in Canada get through ISO 13485 audits all the time without anyone in the company knowing a thing about the Canadian regulations. Similarly, companies that are not legal manufacturers of CE Marked medical devices get through ISO 13485 audits all the time without knowing a thing about the MDD.

It is also possible to get through an MDD audit without knowing ISO 13485, since an MDD audit is a device-specific audit, not a systems audit, and focuses on conformance to the Essential Requirements, not on quality management.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Consultant with Office 365 experience Consultants and Consulting 2
D Automotive Hospitality Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 11
L AS 9100 D consultant in Delhi, India AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
S MDR consultants - in search of recommendations for a consultant for MDR transition. Paid Consulting, Training and Services 7
A ISMS - Seeking VAPT Consultant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
L ISO 13485 5.5.2 - Can a consultant be our Management Representative ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Clinical Evaluation Report - Consultant Recommendations Consultants and Consulting 9
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
N Is consultant prohibited in ISO9001 audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 66
N Is ISO14001 consultant allowed to attend ISO14001 audit? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 17
S ISO 13485 Consultant Question - The company has 5 part time employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Specification Developer or Consultant? Definitions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Who here is Using a Consultant for ISO 9001 Transition? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Setting up an LLC as a Consultant Paid Consulting, Training and Services 27
K Sister Company Moving to AS - First time "consultant" - Help? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
S Can anyone share a Consultant Proposal for QMS Remediation? Consultants and Consulting 5
T IATF Certified Auditor/Consultant Wanted in the Evansville, Indiana Area Consultants and Consulting 0
F Cost of hiring ISO 17025 Consultant to Build Laboratory From Scratch ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
J Is getting a UDI Consultant a good idea? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
E Consultant Person who implemented ALSO the Registrar Auditor? Consultants and Consulting 17
H How to find a good ISO 9001 Implementation Consultant in Calgary, Canada? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P How to deal with a Recruitment Consultant Career and Occupation Discussions 3
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Design and Development Document evidence for Engineering Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P FDA QSR Inspection Consultant Recommendations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
L Mock Audit by External Consultant (ISO 13485) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S GDPMD MALAYSIA Consultant and what they teach Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 14
Jen Kirley This international consultant thing sure is a ride! Career and Occupation Discussions 13
R Ethical Aspects while being Consultant and Certifier within same Organization. Consultants and Consulting 6
M Can an Auditor introduce a Consultant to help fix NCs after the audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
G Has anyone used shlomo Aviv-lean consultant? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
E What are the major difficulties when working as a consultant in your industry? Consultants and Consulting 20
S Advice on becoming an ISO Management Systems Consultant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
C Medical Device Regulatory Consultant in Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P Can an outside consultant audit all the AS9100 requirements including Internal Audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
R ISO 17025 Accreditation - Need for consultant? ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
JoCam Reputable, UK based Consultant for the Health & Safety standard OHSAS 18001 Consultants and Consulting 14
I How to measure the performance of ISO 9001 Consultant? Consultants and Consulting 9
R Charge (Fair Prices) by a Consultant for a traditional 510k Review Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Medical Device Consultant Professional Liability Insurance (O & E) Career and Occupation Discussions 5
N Consultant Obligations, CFR 803 and Sterility Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S FDA Consultant Needed for Class I Medical Device Development 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q Best consultant for Predicted MTBF consulting service using Telcordia standard Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
Stijloor Consultant/Auditor needed in New York State Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
L Consultant not following Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
Stijloor Looking for a competent MSA Instructor/Consultant Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1