Can a Fabless Semiconductor Company achieve TS16949 Certification (Registration)?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Can a Fabless Semiconductor Company acheive TS16949 Certification (Registration)?

I know of one fabless semiconductor company that is ISO/TS 16949 certified but I don't think I'm allowed to post their name in this forum.
I don't see why it would be a problem for you to identify a fabless TS certified organization. The information is supposed to be public.

Actually I don't understand why the IATF does not make publicly available a database of TS certified organizations, such as the IAQG did through the OASIS database for the Aerospace suppliers certified to 9100/9110/9120.

D

dlsquality

Re: Can a Fabless Semiconductor Company acheive TS16949 Certification (Registration)?

Okay, Hittite Microwave Corporation (https://www.hittite.com/) is a fabless semiconductor company that is ISO/TS 16949 certified. I happen to know that they have limited test, tape and reel capability in house that they used to substantiate their "manufacturing" (i.e. value added) capability.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

Thanks. If a fabless semiconductor organization does IC assembly and packaging, I believe that these would be considered value added manufacturing processes, thus making them eligible for TS certification. IMO.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
I guess my question is, maybe a stupid one at that:

Why couldn't some company receive certification, if they so desire, no matter what QMS they choose?

I think, I understand if a company is seeking registration to TS they would be required to produce a completed PPAP package for validation, but why should that stop them from deciding to develop and register to TS? I am no expert in TS, so I guess I am just curious.

D

dlsquality

From the point of view of the standard, section 1.0 Scope has the following:

This Technical Specification is applicable to sites of the organization where customer-specified parts, for production and/or service, are manufactured.

Supporting functions, whether on-site or remote (such as design centres, corporate headquarters and distribution centres), form part of the site audit as they support the site, but cannot obtain stand-alone certification to this Technical Specification.

The above text should answer your question. There is additional guidance in the IATF guidelines.

From a philosophical point of view however, I can’t disagree with you but that won't matter to the IATF!

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

Thanks. If a fabless semiconductor organization does IC assembly and packaging, I believe that these would be considered value added manufacturing processes, thus making them eligible for TS certification. IMO.

When I do TS audits for semiconductor companies, the registrar I work for has to be very careful with the way some activities are worded. For example, what is typically called "packaging" by the semiconductor industry (die is placed inside a protective packaging that provides connectors or pins for connecting to other devices) is very different than in most industries (putting a part in a box, for example). For the IATF to approve this as value-added manufacturing we call it "production finishing" instead.

In many cases, "testing" also modifies the configuration of the product. I've worked with several organizations in the semiconductor industry that do "testing" and/or "packaging." In these cases, with the right wording, the IATF will approve them for TS.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I heard rumours that the IAOB was about to release a new sanctioned interpretation that would allow fabless semiconductor organizations to be certified to TS-16949.

M

Murphys Law

I work for a major SC manufacturer in one of our automotive SC products business groups with mostly in house manufacturing. Yes, independent Semiconductor fabs should be, and I believe are, TS certified. I presume you are talking about the Taiwanese fab companies here.

One of our major SC competitors is a fabless company so precident has been set. (Ask your vendor if they supply automotive products). On the back end, I use one subcontract package assembly for a package family and they have their own TS certification.

However, the scope of the fab TS should be confined to processes that only make automotive processes. Don't impose TS BS on their commercial lines as it will increase their costs.

Off the top of my head, TS16949 things fab will be resonsible for having on each automotive process line:-
- Family control plan that covers what process release it is in.(exp/proto/production).
- PFMEAs for each process (Can be modular if it spans technology processes)
- MSAs.
-Procedures for handling customer failures caused by the fab (Your customer will be responsible for front interface and intial investigation). CRCT metrics/8D reports.
- Customer scorecards /feedback (in your case, you are responsible for providing this to them performance metrics).
- Market demand (In conjunction with you).
- Any quals are conducted to AEC-Q100.

Areas that your company will keep control on:-
- CSRs (You will be responsible for informing them of CSRS that apply to them). They should not be looking at say, customer xxx TS16494 CSRs as most of the times, it will not apply to them.
- PPAP production. However, fab will supply you with certain manf. elements (Control plans, PFMEAs, MSAs, process capability studies if your NDA allows that).
- Change management. Linked to this, procedure/agreement of Definitions what changes you require notification on (PPAP rev 4 requires notification on all changes which is impossible for semiconductor manufacturing).
- Customer audits
- Supplier management. (Regular reviews, etc). etc.

There is probably other things that come into play but this is main gist of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tapster

Registered
Hi,

Any update on the rumour about a new SI to include the fabless model? I can't find anything on the web...

Thanks,

Nathan

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Any update on the rumour about a new SI to include the fabless model? I can't find anything on the web...
A few minutes ago I received communication that the IATF decided against the idea of fabless semiconductor organizations being certifiable to TS. I am not sure if they will make the announcement in the IAOB website or not. Probably they will update the FAQ questions, at a later date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom