Can a sticker be a controlled document?

L

little__cee

Sticker?

More specific information: this is a sticker that our company designed and is printed by a different company. It is a sticker that is placed on a box when it is "ok to ship".

I am updating the Controlled Documents Log that I inherited and am trying to figure out what should be on it, what should not, and am adding a column to designate what level the document is (1, 2, or 3).

If a sticker CAN be a controlled document, I'd have to go with level 3 since it would essentially be considered a form. If not, I'm removing all stickers from the Log, which would make me a very happy camper :D today.

Thanks for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
little__cee said:

More specific information: this is a sticker that our company designed and is printed by a different company. It is a sticker that is placed on a box when it is "ok to ship".

I am updating the Controlled Documents Log that I inherited and am trying to figure out what should be on it, what should not, and am adding a column to designate what level the document is (1, 2, or 3).

If a sticker CAN be a controlled document, I'd have to go with level 3 since it would essentially be considered a form. If not, I'm removing all stickers from the Log, which would make me a very happy camper :D today.

Thanks for your help.
little_cee:

IMO it is a form that should be controlled like any other form. I'm assuming you reference it in the procedure that addresses the release of product. It or lack of it indicates the product status.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What I'm thinking is that it doesn't matter whether it is a sticker, tag, sign, etc. - what I would consider is "Is it revisable?"

If this is a simple sticker that just says "OK to Ship", I'd say no. But - if it is a sticker that contains customer info or serializing - blank fields to fill in let's say - and at some point you might need to add another field, in which case you would change your design with your supplier, pull all the old ones and begin using the new, you may want to control it as a form.

L

little__cee

Thank you

Yes we do use it as a form. We have blanks on the sticker for Customer, Employee Number, etc and that gets placed on the box as an identifier.

Thank you for your help.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Cari Spears said:
What I'm thinking is that it doesn't matter whether it is a sticker, tag, sign, etc. - what I would consider is "Is it revisable?"

If this is a simple sticker that just says "OK to Ship", I'd say no. But - if it is a sticker that contains customer info or serializing - blank fields to fill in let's say - and at some point you might need to add another field, in which case you would change your design with your supplier, pull all the old ones and begin using the new, you may want to control it as a form.
I'm with Cari on this one! I've had stickers and stamps used within the process before that said stuff like "Controlled Document". I do not control what that stamps says...however, my Document Control procedure does state "The usage of the 'Controlled Document' stamp in a non-black ink overrides the electronic header of Uncontrolled Document."...or something to that effect.

And if the stamp/sticker is a "template" showing fields where information must be entered after the stamp/sticker is applied, then I would treat it as a form.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
There is another aspect to this particular sticker. Who is authorized to apply the sticker? Correct me if I am wrong but it appears to be used as a means to identify the status of the product like an inspection stamp.

Mike S.

Moved On
Trusted Information Resource
Even if it is used as a form, who/what requires that it be controlled? IMO forms do not need to be controlled unless they also serve as a WI. If your procedure/WI says "a red APPROVED tag that includes the customer name and employee number shall be placed on the container" I would say the tag does not need to be controlled. If the WI says "fill out the required blanks on the tag" then the tag is acting as part of the WI, telling youwhat must be added, so I would control it. Some folks like to control every form no matter what, and this is okay if it works for them, but IMO it is not an ISO 9001 requirement (shall).

G

Groo3

First off... as I see you only have a few posts and are recently registered, Welcome.

The answer to your question can be either yes or no depending on what information goes on the sticker, or how it is used. As it appears that you only use the sticker when material is "OK to ship", then - with that assumption, I would be inclined to say 'yes' it is a quality document. The closest I could come to a requirement would be section 7.5.3 of 9001-2000. However, you may also wish to consult with your registrar to get their interpretation.

As for where I work, we use stickers throughout our facility and the way we control them is via procedures and training. We do not put all of these stickers on our various departmental quality records logs, just the ones which indicate a primary status change = OK to Package, NCM (Non-conforming Material), Hold for Testing, Final Product Labels and the like. When material is packaged, our understanding is that it is (by definition) OK to ship - unless another sticker (such as NCM) is placed on the package.

Hope that helps?

PS: Not sure what you mean by the level of the document 1, 2, 3 ? are those designations for your document pyramid? Not all companies use the 3 tier system... some have 4, 5,etc. As for my company, we have 6 levels to our pyramid = (1) Policies, (2) Objectives, (3) Quality Manual, (4) System Procedures, (5) Departmental Procedures and work instructions, (6) Forms, records, flowcharts, exhibits, etc... all of which are controlled at some level or another.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Ok, here's my take...

I am assuming, the sticker is used as a means to identify status and identification of the material.

It is not a record.

And let me ask...do YOU need to control the sticker.

I use calibration stickers to identify the calibration status of my gages. Do I control the sticker...no. Do I control the record with the calibration results...yes.

IMHO...you don't need to add it to your doc control system.

CarolX

L

little__cee

More information

Thank you for all of your input.

I am new to the forum, new to my company, new to being a Management Rep...all the way around I am a newbie so thanks for your patience.

Okay, the sticker. We do have a work instruction that references the sticker (commonly called the OK to Ship sticker). The work instruction was written in a "when, who, where" format that tells me anyone authorized by their supervisor can fill it out, stick it on the box, and do so for completed fabrication jobs that are ready to be shipped to the customer.

Background: I guess the consultants :mad: were concerned that our employees would just see a box laying around and not know what to do with it? Anyways, this sticker was created SO that when the sticker was applied that was the sign to all who saw it that this box is OK to Ship!

Sorry for any excess sarcasm. I'm just trying to figure this all out!

As for the document levels, our document control procedure states:
DEFINITIONS:
Level I Documents include the Quality Manual and Procedures.
Level II documents shall include, work instructions and prints and product drawings). Whenever the words “excluding prints and product drawings” appears in the text of this procedure, the reader should refer to procedure (Print Control) for clarification.
Level III documents will include forms, flow charts and records.

So that's what I'm trying to work with. I think I may create a separate post inviting suggestions for what brand of beer I should drink this evening, since this has given me a royal headache today. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Controlled sticker for product identification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Marketing sticker for Medical Device outer box? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
B Sticker with Distributors Logo according CE requirements (Medical Devices) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
S Unused Tools and Calibration Sticker Requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Require, Sticker Sketch or Photo for using as Identification of In-Process Materials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Seen in Bangkok - Thule Lappland Sticker Immigration and Expatriate Topics 6
Gman2 Inspection and Test Status for ISO 9001 - 'OK To Use' sticker? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
R Identification by Sticker - Returned Product Identification Problem IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Controlled Environment requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
C Work Instructions; Controlled/Uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
S Controlled Document Location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Defect codes and process codes need to be controlled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M How to calculate benefits? Moving some developed non controlled software/automation systems Service Industry Specific Topics 2
I R&D prototype documents need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Work Order Form (Controlled Document)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Training template - controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
D Controlled Documents & Note Making ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
pammesue Controlled Setup Sheets for a production line Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Qualification of a Temperature Controlled Unit have to be empty? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M ISO 14644 - Cleanrooms and associated controlled environments -Recovery Test Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
E Do all Controlled Document copies require a Stamp? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Uriel Alejandro Including "Internal Rules" as Controlled Documents in a QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Employer Warning Notice a Controlled Document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R How to Cross-Reference Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Leveraging previous results in IQOQs - Environmentally Controlled Room 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R FAI (First Article Inspection) on source-controlled parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Definition of a controlled document --> is a form a controlled document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
P Employment Application Form - Controlled or Not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
LeonelAguilar352 Specific Question about Printing Controlled Documents. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Controlled Forms - Centralized or Decentralized? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level) by GM - CB notified. What about other customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Digital Storage of ITAR Controlled Documentation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
N Do Material MSDS's Need To Be Controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Need examples for Controlled Shipping I and II (CSL) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Is a Dynamic Controlled Form acceptable per 21CFR820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Should a supplier self assessment form be a controlled document? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
D Should Customer Drawings be controlled per AS9100 QMS ? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Types of Controlled Documentation - Call Lists of Emergency Contacts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Should spreadsheets be controlled? If so, how? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
Q Modification in Controlled Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
A Clean Room as a Controlled Environment - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Controlled Forms Conundrum Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Cleanliness Requirements for Raw Materials Used in a Controlled Environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4