Can Agile Methodology Principles be used for CA/PA/CI projects?

Q

qualitytrec

Hey everyone,
I work at a great company that does online retail. As such much of the mind set is around software programming and applications to keep the site growing and ahead of the competition curve.
Agile Methodology is used (link below to some principles). I am not all that familiar with the method but it is causing me and the other process engineers (AKA Quality Engineers) some heartache as we are used to the DMAIC, PDCA, lean, etc... methods of correcting and improving processes.

Some of the principles and concepts of Agile are very quality focused but by its nature it has created very high expectations of short turn around times for projects. this is difficult when time studies or other data is thought to be needed by us Process Engineers.

I would like your help to determine feasibility of using Agile as an improvement methodology.
1) Do you believe Agile Methodology can be used as a means of improving non-software based processes?
2) If so, what if any changes may be needed to apply it to process design, process improvement or Corrective Action?
3) Also, how do you see the various principles of the methodology cross referenced in the "standard" quality approaches to process design, improvement and correction?

http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html

Your input is coveted.:cool:
Mark

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

qualitytrec

Even if you do not want to specifically answer the questions above, what are your thoughts about the concept? Do you think that the Principles of Agile can be married :agree: with the principles of name the quality methodology or do you think they are at odds :argue: with each other?

Mark

Yes, I'd say so...because there's nothing new there! It seems to me that it's all intertwined with those tools you also described!

So, am I missing something? Or is 'Agile' another hype of good management practices?

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hey everyone,
I work at a great company that does online retail. As such much of the mind set is around software programming and applications to keep the site growing and ahead of the competition curve.
Agile Methodology is used (link below to some principles). I am not all that familiar with the method but it is causing me and the other process engineers (AKA Quality Engineers) some heartache as we are used to the DMAIC, PDCA, lean, etc... methods of correcting and improving processes.

Some of the principles and concepts of Agile are very quality focused but by its nature it has created very high expectations of short turn around times for projects. this is difficult when time studies or other data is thought to be needed by us Process Engineers.

I would like your help to determine feasibility of using Agile as an improvement methodology.
1) Do you believe Agile Methodology can be used as a means of improving non-software based processes?
2) If so, what if any changes may be needed to apply it to process design, process improvement or Corrective Action?
3) Also, how do you see the various principles of the methodology cross referenced in the "standard" quality approaches to process design, improvement and correction?

http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html

Your input is coveted.:cool:
Mark
Agile software development refers to a group of software development methodologies based on iterative development, where requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing cross-functional teams.

The term was coined in the year 2001 when the Agile Manifesto was formulated. For more details have a look at Agile Project Management.

Agile methodologies such as eXtreme Programming (XP), SCRUM and Feature-Driven Development strive to reduce the cost of change throughout the software development process. For example, XP uses rapid iterative planning and development cycles in order to force trade-offs and deliver the highest value features as early aspossible. In addition, the constant, systemic testing that is part of XP ensures high quality via early defect detection and resolution.
The agile methodology is developed specifically for software development and is not suitable for other areas.

Umang

Agile software development refers to a group of software development methodologies based on iterative development, where requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between self-organizing cross-functional teams.

The term was coined in the year 2001 when the Agile Manifesto was formulated. For more details have a look at Agile Project Management.

The agile methodology is developed specifically for software development and is not suitable for other areas.

Umang
Why isn't it suitable? Many of the features described are equally applicable to hardware development in my experience...

Q

qualitytrec

So far sounds like the same discussions i am having here:lol:.

I am not seeing how they (Agile Principles) contain, quantify and prioritizes opprotunities for improvement. I can see where it might be applicable on some level during development of a process but I am not seeing where it is applicable to correction. The more I look at it the more trouble I am having crossing over.

Remember I am looking at how the principles/philosophies can be synced and where they are at odds with CA/PA/CI initiatives, not how to apply the practice of software development to processes.

Thanks for your responses.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DarrellH

My simple understanding is "Agile" is short bursts of collabarative activity (sprints) in an environment (scrums) which can evolve to achieve an ever changing end goal.

Can true root cause definition and your CAPA solution be "ever changing". My simple logic says No, because you want to "fix" an established process don't you.

I have recently joined an agile environment and I am struggling to apply ISO9001 / AS9100 principles product realisation principles which require deliverables / design reviews and qualification to be PLANNED.

How can you plan when you don't know where you are going to get to??

Ok, I am an old luddite but to me agile and current QMS thinking seem fundamentally opposed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Medical Device Software - Switch from Waterfall to Agile methodology Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
A Applying agile model for Computer system Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
F IEC 62304 agile development EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
H If we use agile - do we still need to document TF as a waterfall just for the notified bodies need? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
N Agile SOP for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A Validating my own application developed with Agile Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R Training to Effective Documents - Transitioning to Agile Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
alonFAI AGILE PLM - Deviation - What is the "Assigned Owner" Field Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
M Oracle Agile PLM Software Reviews - Oracle Agile, others? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Z Agile Software Development and 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Agile 9.3.1 Relationship Searches - Meaning of Message Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L AAMI TIR(SW1)/Agile Practices in the Development of Medical Device Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
A Documentation Confusion - Agile BOM Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Data Migration Validation - AGILE to (ARAS) Innovator Software Quality Assurance 3
B AGILE Project Management Process for Product Design Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
F Conversion from Agile - Need cheaper FDA compliant software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Using Agile for Quality System Documentation Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
R Document Control and Agile Product Lifecycle Management software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D Seeking PDM/PLM Systems Recommendations / Reviews - Looking at SmarTeam and Agile Software Quality Assurance 2
D Agile and Oracle - Does anyone have experience with Agile integrated with Oracle? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
M Agile Software Development - The Manifesto for Agile Software Development Software Quality Assurance 11
D EExtreme / agile software development Software Quality Assurance 1
M ISO 14971:2019 vs FMEA methodology ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 23
J Internal audit random sampling methodology Internal Auditing 2
N Claiming exemptions (N/A) in AS9100D - what is the methodology and location? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
O QRQC (quick response quality control) methodology in automotive industry IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Window Analysis Methodology for category A, B, C and D Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
C Unable to Demonstrate FIFO Methodology ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C Gage R&R Measurement Location Methodology Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Z What to write on A3 Methodology Recognition Certificates? Six Sigma 2
M Please help to analyze Response Surface Methodology by using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 6
D Thoughts on the Implementation and Effectiveness of A3 methodology Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
Z A 5S (Workplace Organization Methodology) Christmas Poem Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
M Bottom-Up Methodology to Track Root Cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
V Production Development Process APQP Methodology APQP and PPAP 9
S Security Gap Assessment Methodology based on ISO 27001 or COBIT IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
B Problem Solving Methodology Help - Shainin/Red X Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
P Use of Social Research Methodology in Quality Management and Applied Science Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Reliability Growth methodology (Duane, CrowAMSAA) - Test Planning Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
C "Destructive" Linearity Study Methodology Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Methodology to Improve Productivity using SMED & TPM - Experts opinion about it. Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
W What can be Root Cause Analysis Methodology - Heat Treatment of Carbon-based Products Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
V Manufacturing Process Audits according to the FIEV methodology IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M TPM Formats & Implementation Methodology Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
U Recognised Methodology for Monitoring Software Development Performance Software Quality Assurance 1