Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi;

Had an auditor that finished an AS9100 D audit a month ago....

We just received a notification that he was issuing another NCR - one in which we (Registrar, auditor and consultant) agree that it was OK - not an issue.

The NCR is on having 8.5.5 Post Delivery as an exclusion not applicable in the Quality Manual.

We do not - we do make statements in the actual section of the QM - 8.5.5 of items that are not applicable to us as a company.

I though that AS9101 gave instructions:

4.2.2.7 Conducting the Closing Meeting

The requirements of ISO/IEC 17021-1 clause 9.4.7 and 9104/1 clause 8.5 apply.

In addition, at the closing meeting, the audit team leader shall, at a minimum, provide the organization with any applicable
NCRs (see Form 4) and PEARs (see Form 3) associated with those NCRs.

So how should I answer this!

or do I have the right to complain to AIQG / ANAB about the auditor / registrar...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The IAQG has made clear, via the clarifications document, that AS9100 8.5.5 can not be excluded in it's totality and we have discussed this a couple of times, here at The Cove. Has that clarification been communicated to all the CB's and their respective auditors? Apparently not.

So, I am sure that, during a technical review of the audit report and the identification of the "excluded sections" which must be identified in OASIS, a technical reviewer noted the problem and instructed the auditor accordingly to issue a NC.

Any lead auditor worth their salt know that NC's should not be issued outside of an audit event. Sure, you can complain, and using common sense and the escalation process, you should start with the CB first. But, keep in mind, that, very likely, the CB was the one that mandated the auditor to issue the untimely NC.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
The IAQG has made clear, via the clarifications document, that AS9100 8.5.5 can not be excluded in it's totality and we have discussed this a couple of times, here at The Cove. Has that clarification been communicated to all the CB's and their respective auditors? Apparently not.

So, I am sure that, during a technical review of the audit report and the identification of the "excluded sections" which must be identified in OASIS, a technical reviewer noted the problem and instructed the auditor accordingly to issue a NC.

Any lead auditor worth their salt know that NC's should not be issued outside of an audit event. Sure, you can complain, and using common sense and the escalation process, you should start with the CB first. But, keep in mind, that, very likely, the CB was the one that mandated the auditor to issue the untimely NC.
Agree... yes, we did clarified that to the auditor and share the AIQG clarification statements on the AIQG website. Showed him that we are not taking an entire exclusion on the scope (does not show up) and clarified that if any exclusion is taken for any of the singular letter - it will be clarified on clause 8.5.5 - not part of the scope.

I gave instructions that the NCR will be challenged and that part of the answer is to review previous approval by the registrar NXA.

Mjtaur

Starting to get Involved
Ah, I think I see what happened. You made the section non-applicable in the Scope, but specified in section 8.5.5? That might be his/her reasoning. Almost like your CB looked at the Scope, you made it non-applicable, so therefore it no longer exists, which is your CB's argument. I see the point, but you clearly address it later in your QM. Yea, I think bogus write up.

Maybe just change what you have in 8.5.5 and put that verbiage in your Scope?

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Sidney nailed it when he suggested that it didn't pass the technical review and the auditor was ordered to write up the nonconformance after the fact.

I have seen this happen.

My understanding is that the auditor is obligated to present the nonconformances he has identified at the closing meeting. Even this isn't always followed though, and closing meeting comments usually include that the auditor is recommending registration / continued registration, but the final decision is made by the executive committee after they review the auditors report.

Auditors may be required to write a nonconformance when they improperly called it an observation (referred to as soft grading) or anything else found that needed correcting during the technical review.

Auditors that have problems with accurate audits don't tend to stick around very long.

Mjtaur

Starting to get Involved
RC - minor disconnect was overlooked by the internal audit after transition due to assessors focus on new requirements rather than typos.

Correction - more assessor training on process audits

Correct the issue, move forward.
I agree, your last statement is spot on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J Is My AS9100 certification Auditor Normal? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
M AS9100 Re-Cert Audit - Auditor concerned with OSHA regulations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T What is the Rev C equivalent for an RABQSA AS9100 Certified Lead Auditor course? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S AS9100 Auditor Career Path Options Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M Questions about AS9100 Internal Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
A AATT Aerospace Auditor Requirements for an AS9100 Registrar AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
W Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Future as an AS9100/NADCAP Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Need Clarity on AS9100 Lead Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
R AS9100 Internal Auditor Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
AshleyE Taking AS9100 C Lead Auditor Course - Any Advice? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
F AS9100 - How many times can the same auditor audit your system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Is it required to be LA certified in order to be an AS9100 Auditor? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
T Developing an AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Program AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A AS9100 rev C Skill Examiner Audit to complete my RABQSA Auditor certification Career and Occupation Discussions 3
T AS9100 Series Auditor Certification - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Waiting for an Auditor after our AS9100 Stage Two Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
G AS9100 Course Recommendation (AATT VS RABQSA Lead Auditor) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
N AS9100 Lead Auditor Course in India Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
C RABQSA Certified AS9100 Rev. C Lead Auditor Training Course Providers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 47
C AS9100 and ISO 9001 - Dual Certifications Suggested at AS9100 Internal Auditor class AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
A Completing RABQSA AS9100 AIEA Auditor Certification Requirements - how to get audits? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
C AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Class in the US - Recommendations wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A AS9100 Internal Auditor Training and Qualifications Internal Auditing 8
E AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Course Professional Certifications and Degrees 25
O AS9100 Rev B Lead Auditor Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
P When is a training course not a training course? Acceptable AS9100 Auditor Training AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G AS9100 & ISO 9001 Internal Audits (-+) - Auditor Qualifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
K What does an AS9100 RABQSA auditor get paid? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
P Can I perform an ISO 13485 audit? I'm a registered RABQSA QMS and AS9100 Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Required number of auditor days (Audit Man-Days) for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 32
B AS9100 Lead Auditor Requirements General Auditing Discussions 24
L AeroSpace AS9100 AS Lead Auditor Course Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
A AS9100 ISO 9001:2000 Internal Auditor Training - Long Island NY Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L AS9100 Lead Auditor Training In India Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N AS9100 Internal Auditor Requirements vs. TS16949 Internal Auditor Requirements Internal Auditing 8
W AS9100 Certified Auditor needed for December 2006 Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
C AS9100 Internal Auditor Training Recommendations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
Randy AS9100 Auditor Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T What does AS9100 mean when it says you must establish a process to do X? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Open Positions During AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
C AS9120 or AS9100 Cert pertaining to inventory? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0