Can an Ionizer be calibrated or perform preventive maintenance when in use?

V

Vash Stampede

Hello Everyone,
Is the Ionizer can be calibrated or perform preventive maintenance when in use? How about if we declared this ionizer to be not in use? How can we depend this situation in our external auditor? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
Vash Stampede

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

CJacobsen

You can declare ANY instrument or equipment to be WORKING EQUIPMENT and not requiring calibration. It should be identified as such with a label. You can buy standard labels that say "Working Equipment" or "Not in Calibraiton System" or similar. As long as it is properly identified you will not have a problem. That is as long as you can clearly demonstrate that the instrument/equipment IS NOT used to measure or verify any specification or tolerance on your product or within your process that could affect the quality of your product or process.

[This message has been edited by CJacobsen (edited 21 November 2000).]

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I recently audited a company that uses iar ionizers as part of their ESD control program. They were not calibrating them. I reviewed the manual, and as I am also trained as an ESD instructor and have calibrated ionizers, I reviewed the manual, and determined that the ionizer needs to be calibrated. If you can be audited on your company's ESD program, I recommend you at least consider calibrating the ionizers.

------------------

B

blueicecube

Jerry,

Can you please describe/explain/share the method to be used to calibrate ionizers?

Thanks!

Y

Yerbero

Far as i know, the "calibration" of corona discharge air ionizers is really just cleaning the tips of the needles then testing for balanced output using a static field meter. Put a charge on the plate, turn on the ionizer, it needs to neutralize in so many seconds. Repeat for positive and negative charges. TR20.20 says the details of the test are in ANSI/ESD STM3.1.

B

blueicecube

erm. the only "trouble" is that i do not have access to ANSI/ESD DSP3.3...hahaha... nor the ESD handbook, oh, well...

any other "general" standards available?

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
I recently audited a company that uses iar ionizers as part of their ESD control program. They were not calibrating them. I reviewed the manual, and as I am also trained as an ESD instructor and have calibrated ionizers, I reviewed the manual, and determined that the ionizer needs to be calibrated. If you can be audited on your company's ESD program, I recommend you at least consider calibrating the ionizers.

------------------
Our Ionizers feature a visual alarm, that is to alert the user of an out of balance condition. They claim this eliminates the need for repeated calibration. Do you think this is sufficient? I don't currently know of any way to test this alarm. If that is sufficient, do you think we should be doing an initial calibration? It was sold as calibrated, but we don't have a certificate. (Yeah, I think that will be a yes)

erm. the only "trouble" is that i do not have access to ANSI/ESD DSP3.3...hahaha... nor the ESD handbook, oh, well...

any other "general" standards available?
Here is the procedure I found online for our ionizers.
http://www.descoemit.com/pdf/calibration/pm318.pdf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K About ionizers - How far can we place a table top ionizer from the IC devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Can Ionizer calibration last for 1 year? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J Gear Surface Finish - Print with the word "calibrated" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M What kind of instrument that must be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Can calibrated device values be used instead of manufacturers spec? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Where to obtain a calibrated DICOM image? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Q Calibrated Equipment Managment Software Suggestions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
J Calibration Justification - Requirements for Measurement with a Calibrated Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
O Storage of Calibrated Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
I Uncalibrated source to calibrated meter, then compare to UUT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Looking for Calibrated Tool Shadowboard Substrate Ideas AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Calibration Traceability - Fluke 753 dpc with thermocouple Calibrated by Fluke ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
T Auditor states my Oven Thermocouples must be Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
L Should Air Screwdrivers be Calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
S Using Calibrated OD mic over non-Calibrated ID mic for final dimension Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
G Filling out inspection report using calibrated pins Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P What are the uncertain digits of a 1/64" calibrated ruler? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
M Establishing traceability from calibrated glassware to non calibrated ones General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Auditor has requested that the granite table in the lab be Calibrated Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 19
B AS9100C 7.5.1 d and calibrated equipment in the production areas AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Need help with Network Analyzers and which DUT can be Calibrated with it Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
T New Equipments calibrated by Manufacturer need Calibration from Independent Labs? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Acceptance Criteria for External Calibrated Standards IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Calibrated Surface Plates treated as General Use Tables General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Is there a standard which states how often instruments should be calibrated? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 12
Chennaiite Is Design Verification Software required to be Calibrated IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Can new guy use his Calibrated Tools? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 12
C Measuring Equipment on Injection Machine should be Calibrated by 3rd party? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Jerry Eldred Where to get UV Intensity Meter Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C ISO 9001 Surveillance Audit Nonconformance - Thermometers not Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 117
Y Do Thermocouples need to be Calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
M Disposal of Calibrated Measurement and Test Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
J Do desktop calendars need to be calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 31
D Calibration of Pin Gages using a Calibrated Caliper that measures to 4 decimal places General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
H "Internal Calibration" using other Calibrated Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
N Can a Calibrated Digital Thermometer be used to monitor my oven? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
Q Acceptance Procedure for Receiving Calibrated Equipment & Tools Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
hogheavenfarm Does anyone know of a calibrated Fillet weld gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
S Can Laser Alignment Tools be Calibrated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G New gage calibrated at factory do I need the certificate? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
D Scales calibrated by an ISO 17025 accredited organization? TS 16949 requirement? ISO 17025 related Discussions 44
A Usage of Calibrated Equipment - Vernier Caliper Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
howste Condition of Item Calibrated - ISO 17025 Clause 5.10.2f - Calibration Certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
O Calibrating a Gage Block In-house with Calibrated Digital Calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
5 Gage not calibrated to full use/range of the gage - Surveillance Audit - Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Must a vernier caliper and a rule be calibrated according to ISO 9001? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 50
M Inhouse Calibration of Regulated Power Supplies (RPS) using calibrated Multimeter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
R How to define Acceptance criteria for Calibrated equipment before use AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
G Leak Tester Calibration - Sentinal C-20 controller with a calibrated orifice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J CNC Calibration - What should be calibrated on a HAAS machine? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7