Can an outside consultant audit all the AS9100 requirements including Internal Audit?

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
Some companies are using outside consultants to conduct internal audit (IA) of all the AS requirements, including internal audit. Is it a violation of 8.2.2.b if the consultant audits (IA)? Should someone else from the company audit IA?

8.2.2.b The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors shall not audit their own work.

I audited a small company of 4 employees. They hired a consultant to conduct IA of all the AS requirements. The QA Manager was the process owner of the internal audit. He was the only one trained on AS9100C, including internal audit. He setup the internal audit process. I don't believe he can audit IA either. Should I issue a minor NCR because the consultant audited IA?

-Tony

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Can an outside consultant audit all the AS requirements including Internal Audit?

The question is: did the consultant audit his own work and can the consultant audit the process without auditing his own work?

I prefer to have someone else audit the internal audit process but I was told from the technical authority from one of the largest registrars that the internal audit process can be audited by the registrar.

It is best to ask the authority within the registrar for their interpretation.

J

Jeff Frost

Re: Can an outside consultant audit all the AS9100 requirements including Internal Au

DannyK has given you a good basic answer to your question. Additionally though you would also want to know if the consultant was competent to perform the audit and if the internal audit process of the organization allow for the use of 2nd party audits. Competence of the consultant could be resolved by his or her resume showing training in audit methods or certification from a second party such as being a ASQ Certified Quality Auditor. A grayer area for some customer auditors relates to if the internal audit process procedure allows the use of 2nd party audits if it is not directly stated in the procedure. Another gray area issue could also be brought up if the consultant is not listed on the register of approved suppliers (AS9100, 7.4.1.a). Again this seems to be a gray area for customer auditors more than CRB auditors.

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
Re: Can an outside consultant audit all the AS9100 requirements including Internal Au

Competency is not the issue in this case. The consultant is a registered AS9100C Auditor. It was verified in the OASIS.

-Tony

J

Jeff Frost

To be able to write a non-conformity against a requirement you need to determine what requirement the organization has not met and these requirements would be defined by:

• AS9100
• Organizations own procedures and work instructions
• Applicable regulatory or statutory requirements
• Customer contract requirements

Under the AS&D Audit standard for AS9100 known as AS9101, Clause 4.2.2.5 Note 3 it is clearly stated that “ If there is no evidence of non-fulfillment of a requirement, the auditor cannot issue a nonconformity”. You need to clearly show what requirement of AS9100 was not fulfilled.

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
Re: Can an outside consultant audit all the AS requirements including Internal Audit?

The question is: did the consultant audit his own work and can the consultant audit the process without auditing his own work?

I prefer to have someone else audit the internal audit process but I was told from the technical authority from one of the largest registrars that the internal audit process can be audited by the registrar.

It is best to ask the authority within the registrar for their interpretation.
This is how I look at it. Assuming that John is the QA Manager and also the Quality Rep. who setup and manage the IA program. He has internal auditors performing internal audits. Any of the Internal Auditors can audit the IA function except John because they do not manage the IA function. If John replaces all his Internal Auditors with a qualified AS9100C registered consultant, the consultant should still be allowed to audit internal audit. The only person who cannot audit IA is John, the owner of the IA process. If the AS requirement does not allow the consultant to audit IA, then John's Internal Auditor cannot audit IA either. There is no difference. Then no one in the company can audit IA.

The intent of the AS requirement "Auditor cannot audit their own work" is to make sure that say design engineers do not audit the design project they are responsible for. It is not intended to prevent outside consultant to audit the IA program. In fact it is a good idea to have someone outside the company to evaluate the IA program.

What do you think?

-Tony

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

This is how I look at it. Assuming that John is the QA Manager and also the Quality Rep. who setup and manage the IA program. He has internal auditors performing internal audits. Any of the Internal Auditors can audit the IA function except John because they do not manage the IA function. If John replaces all his Internal Auditors with a qualified AS9100C registered consultant, the consultant should still be allowed to audit internal audit. The only person who cannot audit IA is John, the owner of the IA process. If the AS requirement does not allow the consultant to audit IA, then John's Internal Auditor cannot audit IA either. There is no difference. Then no one in the company can audit IA.

The intent of the AS requirement "Auditor cannot audit their own work" is to make sure that say design engineers do not audit the design project they are responsible for. It is not intended to prevent outside consultant to audit the IA program. In fact it is a good idea to have someone outside the company to evaluate the IA program.

What do you think?

-Tony
Good day Tony,

I often run across this. The "Auditors shall not audit their own work" clause does not mean the audit process owner cannot audit the audit process. It means he/she cannot include in the sample any of the audits he/she has performed. A consultant can do this audit, also a partnering company or sister site of the same company can swap these services. But I tend to see the expectation that the entire system will be included in the internal audit program and the internal audit process cannot be excluded.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

The consultant can audit the whole system unless s/he also implemented part of it. If s/he continues to audit though, s/he wouldn't be able to audit the records of the audits s/he conducted.

...I was told from the technical authority from one of the largest registrars that the internal audit process can be audited by the registrar...
The certification body absolutely can't conduct an internal audit. They will audit the internal audit process as part of the external audit, but it won't count for internal audits.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource

There was an error in my post. I meant that the internal audit can be audited by the consultant not registrar.

S

ssz102

this is my first heard that inner audit can also conducted by consultant
i think, as long as the method and scope of audit are comply with the standard, it will be ok

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Can a consultant outside of the USA be a contact person on 510k? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Responsibilities opening new markets outside EU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Outside micrometer anvils parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
S Laboratory Environmental Conditions Outside of limits ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
A Large outside micrometers calibrations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Material from outside CER evaluation period CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
E How do you identify what standards a country recognizes outside of FDA, EU, Health Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J AS9100 - Working Outside of Scope of Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B FDA Philippines has no check or balance outside the health department Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
I Certificate of Exportability - Contract manufacturer located outside the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Gamula Biocompatibility GLP conform tests outside China China Medical Device Regulations 1
GStough Nonconformance Found Outside the Audit Scope - Supplier Audit General Auditing Discussions 16
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C TS 16949 Exclusions outside of clause 7.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Taking on a job outside of our ISO Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B WEEE requirements if I sell devices outside the EU RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
T Does your Quality Dept Control Procedures Outside the Scope of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T What to do if parameters are found to be Outside of Control Limits Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Where next? Thinking outside the QMS box Career and Occupation Discussions 9
M CE Mark outside of Europe - Implications EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Filing MDRs (Medical Device Report) for OUS (Outside United States) events Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R Does an Outside Steam Generator need to be Registered in the EU? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I AS9100 PPAP requirements for outside Heat Treat vendors/suppiers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Setting air gauging outside of a part tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S TS 16949 Outside Process Control Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D CE Marking for Custom Ordered Products Outside of the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Internal Laboratory Services - Selling Services to "Outside" Customers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Use of CE Mark for Medical Devices outside the EU CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
F Biocompatibility study conducted in the GLP lab outside Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
M Validity of Calibration outside the Calibration Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Reference a MAF outside the context of a US FDA submission? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Using STERILE symbols on outside and inside packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Auditing a process outside the realm of the formal Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C Requirements for FMEA outside of Product Realization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Are Outside Calibration Companies required to NADCAP Certified? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M TickITplus awareness outside UK & Sweden? Software Quality Assurance 3
H Specification Limits outside of Johnson Transformation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
S Industry Best Practices for managing outside Engineering Consultants Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
N Outside source to provide Basic Measurement Training - Louisville, KY Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M Do ISO9001/AS9100 Audits go outside of Scope? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
C Flow Meter Calibration - Outside Calibration Service vs. In-House Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Gage R&R - No Repeats - Parts measured by my company and an outside supplier Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Outside the US Recall (in the EU) on a CE Marked Product - File it in the USA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Approval of an Outside "vendor" (a welder) working in-line at our facility Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
V Medical Device Definitions outside GHTF (Global Harmonization Task Force) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
I Observations Outside of the Audit Scope General Auditing Discussions 37
F Re-Defining Quality Contest - Thinking Outside of the QC Glossary Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7