Can anyone tell me how Y2K is such a big deal?

J

Jason

Can anyone tell me how ISO/QS Y2K is such a big deal, besides the possible trouble of having the files stored into a computer database? What other problems does the year 2000 & beyond represent?
------------------
Jason M.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Well, you've chosen a significantly controversial topic. And I will try to address it in under 2,000,000 pages of text. ;)

There are already Y2K law suits. Most companies are being *Required* to state Y2K compliance by customers. Why? Well, it goes beyond "...the possibility of having files stored into a computer database.

Let's look at a couple of issues:

First, understand the concept of a 'Pivot Date'. That is where a device or software uses a 2 digit date field (typically) and at some point there is a 'break-point'. Everything before that date is the previous or next century. Microsoft is a great example of stupidity on a grand scale. Excel, Word and each other program is handled differently. Each have either a different 'reference' file (another idiot Microsoft 'solution') *or* pivot date (even the 'solutions' are different between a few programs). Let's say Excel has a 'pivot date' of 38. Excel would look at a date with the last two digits less than 38 as the next century. xx37 would indicate 2037 while xx39 would indicate 1939. If you have a date field and the person was born in 1934, the program would interpret the date as 2034.

Many microprocessors, for example, have date registers. Some are simple counters - typically 24 hour timers. But - some are continuous (have to be able to calculate *Leap Years*). A 24 timer is typically not a problem, but what about continuous counters? Some 'applications' use these timers, some don't - so a device with a noncompliant IC may work fine, but others which do use the date function (where it is continuous) may not work well.

Old Cobol code is problematic because there is so much of it (legacy included), but there are software evaluators (even for PC's, as of late) popping up everywhere. Those with an 'interest' in solving date problems by looking at each line of code by a HUMAN poo-poo them, but they are effective. But - do remember, third party software checks for possible data file problems, not program files. And they do not FIX any problems, but rather FLAG the possibility of a problem.

Well, I could go on and on but this will give you a brief flavour. Now - what's the big deal? Well, in part that's the problem. You can look at some applications and easily see what the effect would be. For example, look at a HR department where there is a range of workers between 18 years old and 65 years old and where the software contains data for 10 years giving it a 'sensitivity' of 60 years + 10 years = 70 years. And lets say there is a calculation which uses the field. Now - what do you think might happen?

The microprocessor issue is more vague because the producer has no idea what applications their microprocessors are used in (bought off the shelf, so to speak). And until recently folks incorporating the microprocessors into product didn't look (or few did) this as an issue (which it may or may not be). If the issue was never addressed, you may have no idea what will happen.

At this point, I suggest you hit the internet search and read some for details.

I don't see this as an issue where the US or the world will be thrown into turmoil on 1 January 2000 (or 1 January 2001), but I do expect minor problems to pop up over the next 10 years or more.

In short, you may believe that it is just an issue of "...possible trouble of having the files stored into a computer database..." but it has more to do with calculation functions and related functions. Say you know someone on social security and the code is based on a streight 00-->99 to indiate 19xx. Well, as we turn over to 1 January 2000, all entries (such as 2003) will be assumed to be 1903 (not 2003). Now, let's say the software does a calculation based upon a birth date - what could happen? Well, we can't know unless we try each possibility (oh, my - maybe Design of Experiments could be harnessed) because of the number of possibilities with consideration to the possibility of different calculations (in addition to the differences in dates for each of the people). Well, you can predict some possible outcomes - but how much you can predict depends in large part upon how thoroughly the 'problem code' is evaluated.

Y2K is thoroughly misunderstood - a friend of mine was talking to a programmer who was bragging about getting 'rich' working on Y2K problems. The programmer told him there are 2 programs which will 'evaluate and fix' Y2K programs on PCs (he supposedly stressed they fixed the programs then selves). Ummm, well, no there isn't. There are several programs which will look for data files (say Excel spread sheets) and flag 'possible' problems. But - third party programs will not (as my friend was led to believe and as far as I know) take the Excel program and 'fix' the actual program. So even many of those 'fixing' the problem have their heads up their butts.

So - there are a lot of possible problems.

Again, though, I don't see the world stopping and folks going hungry (any more than they do now). There will be bugs.

BTW - the Macintosh is the only computer and OS which has been compliant since (get this) 1984!

But this does NOT address Mac software Y2K issues. Most is - some is not. None of the Microsoft stuff is Y2K compliant for ANY platform it writes for. They are providing 'fixes' but that does NOT address the core issue - garbage software.

Now how confused are you?

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 01-15-99).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Can anyone tell me requirements standards for insufflator? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Can anyone tell how do we do inprocess inspection of raw materials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
F AS 9110 Accreditation - Can anyone tell me what to expect? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B VDA 4902 - Can anyone tell me what this is? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
A Has anyone heard of "drop gauge policy"? If so, can you tell us what it means? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
K Could anyone tell me what is relation / difference in Cpk and Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
K Short run Z-bar & W charts - Can anyone tell me the formula used? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
T Continuous Improvement - Can anyone tell me how are you using the CI? Forms? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Sampling Plan (ANSI/ASQC Z1.4) - Can anyone tell me how it is made? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
D Can anyone tell me a little about AS9101? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
U Does *anyone* know a lab that will test to EN 455-4 Medical Gloves shelf life determination? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Does anyone have experience of GB/T 34986-2017? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Z Does anyone have experience with EN ISO 17664 ? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 9
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Does anyone have a checklist of API Spec 650 13th Edition? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
M Has anyone has been through an MDR audit? (3/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Has anyone heard of Run at Risk? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
B ASA Aviation Supply Association - Has anyone heard of ASA? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D Has anyone had sudden challenges from Korea-MFDS? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
GreatNate Metrotom - Does anyone have any exposure to the Zeiss Metrotom 800 or 1500? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D FDA Biomarker Qualification Program - Has anyone prepared an application? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
GreatNate QMS in SharePoint - Is anyone doing this? Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Honda Audits - Does anyone have any experience with the QAV audit? General Auditing Discussions 3
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L Has anyone heard of the 2 pan system? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q Does anyone have experience implementing a QMS without ISO certification? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Does anyone here use ISOXpress/IMSXpress QMS software? Software Quality Assurance 11
K Does anyone have a copy of a GM 5 Phase Problem solving form Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Does anyone has a good verification and validation plan template? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Has anyone undergone a BARDA (HHS) audit as part of their grant process? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
QIE Anyone have experience with BPA Quality (QMS system based on Office365/Sharepoint) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
M AMS0320 - Electro-deposition of zinc - Anyone come across this spec? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Anyone Dropping IATF and going back to ISO ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R Anyone who can share a checklist for ISO 29134? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
C Will anyone please share training material for ISO:13485:2016 for best practices Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0