Can Buyer stipulate that all product quality efforts be directed straight through her

Good morning Covers! I've been working in the QE role for a privately-owned contract manufacturer for about 3 yrs. For at least the past decade, we've been supplying Class I disposable components for power tool medical devices to several OEMs.

We're currently struggling with implementing CAPA and related actions for one of our Customers. I've written action plans which have rec'd internal approvals, but have been unable to elicit consistent guidance. IMO, a major reason for our difficulties is that the Buyer has mandated several times that all discussion/approval of actions be routed directly through her as the primary (only authoritative?) contact. The practices/ shifting demands/ of this individual consistently deflect/ ignore our good faith efforts to propose solutions to an escalating number of complaints. This Buyer's tendency to either not respond, or set aside discussions between our respective Engineering dept. as subject to her (indefinitely?) delayed review is causing headaches from our CS rep, up to our chief onsite executive.

Frankly, I'm finding myself wishing for the interactions provided by one of our (BIG) OEM Customers. While (often very) demanding, their SQEs are an authority which definitely drive implementation/closure of CARs, and true improvement...

Do I have a right to demand a Customer SQA contact as the primary contact on these efforts?

These issues are only growing, as frankly I don't have practical authority to delay continued Production to a range of open affected p/n which is distressingly growing due to failure to close issues which, after a few contentious e-mails assigning blame for (our) problem, seem to lose urgency in the Buyer's focus in favor of "Today's" new issue regarding "Today's" hot urgent part!

Any help would be greatly appreciated; if I can solve this (personality-driven?) bottleneck I might just become the "Hero of the Day" around here!!!

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Can Buyer stipulate that all product quality efforts be directed straight through

Do I have a right to demand a Customer SQA contact as the primary contact on these efforts?
Typically, in the customer-supplier relationship, it is rare for the supplier to have the upper hand and demand anything. On the other hand, you and your organization are entitled to expect a less dysfunctional relationship.

In this day and age of worker exploitation, it is possible that your customer decided to have buyers acting as the single contact point with suppliers. In my experience, buyers do not have the technical expertise to discuss adequacy of root cause analysis and corrective action plans and they act as the middle-man between you, the supplier, and someone at the customer organization who can (hopefully) intelligently assess the proposed fixes. Buyers tend to shift priorities, based on whatever crisis comes to the forefront, in their organizations.

If I were you, I would try to overcome the buyer bottleneck by suggesting that you could communicate directly with someone at the customer organization who can approve your plans; obviously, the buyer might perceive that as something that undermines their "authority", so, it would have to be done extremely tactfully and under the guise of helping the overloaded buyer and reducing his/her work.

Tread carefully, but do something. The situation, as you describe is not sustainable in the medium and long term and the friction will erode the relationship between the two organizations.

Having said all of that, the end goal should be to prevent these crisis to happen in the first place. Apparently you have a significant number of product rejections with this customer. Why is that? Your customer should not have to issue SCAR's in high numbers. They should be few and far between.

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Can Buyer stipulate that all product quality efforts be directed straight through

Although it would be poor form to demand, there is nothing wrong with asking. Remember that your customer's resources are also often spread thin and they usually cannot afford to provide the level of help you desire for every situation or every customer.

This is most certainly one of the situations where you will get further with honey instead of vinegar.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

Big Jim and Sidney have capsulized the situation as completely as anyone could want.

Let me add my two cents (or less;)):
If you do not supply custom made goods, but supply off-the-shelf products of your organization's design (or if they are commodity-type products like drill bits, saw blades, etc.), then the "bottleneck" is entirely in the customer's lap. Different story if the products are custom or unique to this customer.

I am concerned a bit about your comment regarding CAPA plans and approvals for this "bottleneck" person. Are you really experiencing product problems with your goods or are these "bookkeeping" problems having to do with documentation, delivery times, etc.?

Depending on the nature of the N/C, it may be entirely appropriate for the buyer to be the key contact point, if the N/C are entirely bookkeeping in nature.

If the product quality is an issue, is it a single feature or multiple features on multiple products? In either case, the issue must be resolved and CA implemented (just the "plan" of CAPA does not satisfy OEMs, they NEED results!) If your organization is looking for signoff on a "plan," don't waste your energy. Solve the problem and present a finished event to the customer. Don't expect ANY employee of a customer (versus a 3rd party auditor) to even consider approving a "plan" for product N/C remedy because they need results to use in their product with assurance the problems are solved.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Does an ?Rx Only? medical device require an actual medical license from the buyer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
Q Buyer Job Description needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Changing Job Profile - Logistics Engineer to Buyer Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Sidney Vianna Buyer beware: Attending training to AS9100 Revision C. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
K Accredited ISO 17025 Laboratory - Ultimate buyer insists on signing the Test Reports ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
S Gage bias and limits - Is there a max limit to Bias we can stipulate Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S California Cleaning Product Right to Know Act - Product Label advice needed Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S Definition "worldwide" in view of IATF16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
H PCD remains valid for new product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
E How do you determine if hipot is necessary for a cable product? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
N Authorised Representative details on product label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D How to list multi-product sample pack in GUDID 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N What is our product classification? (Does Unclassified classification still exists) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
M Definition of Done - New Product Phase to the sustaining phase Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
Miner Quality checks of product QR codes FMEA and Control Plans 2
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Handling Unpacked (Additive Chemical) Product For Automotive Applications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
T Modification of a product on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D CE Marked product considered a Drug in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K Product (Device) Life cycle - Product Life AFTER the Post Market Phase Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
optomist1 Design Exclusion, but now we might have an outsourced Product Design ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
T Non conformance product identification and traceability 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Experience with Agile PLM (Product Lifecycle Management Software) software from Oracle? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Gamula Product-Lifecycle-Management Experience Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 9
G Question about Non-conformances during New Product Introduction Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14