Can CEO perform internal audit

piccoto

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
We are a small medical device company. I'd like to certify our CEO as an internal auditor. Can the CEO do internal audits?

I didn't think there was any problem with that, until one of our employees had mentioned that in the last FDA inspection the inspector said that the CEO cannot perform internal audits :confused:

Thanks for any feedback!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
As far as I am aware there is nothing to prevent your CEO from auditing the system, provided he / she is competent.

I presume the query has been raised for reasons of independence but it is unlikely there is anything the CEO is directly involved in delivering under the standard that he / she could not audit.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hi,
We are a small medical device company. I'd like to certify our CEO as an internal auditor. Can the CEO do internal audits?

I didn't think there was any problem with that, until one of our employees had mentioned that in the last FDA inspection the inspector said that the CEO cannot perform internal audits :confused:

Thanks for any feedback!
If the CEO is competent, objective and impartial, certainly he/she could do internal auditing.

Hi,

Thanks for any feedback!
The FDA person is probably thinking the CEO can't be "independent"...:notme:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
...one of our employees had mentioned that in the last FDA inspection the inspector said that the CEO cannot perform internal audits
I don't suppose the FDA inspector cited a specific requirement? In a 1991 online paper, (B.3.b) "FDA recommends that the applicant specifically hire an outside consultant to conduct the audit and to lead the audit team, if a team is necessary." but I do not know the current requirement, if any.

piccoto

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the link (1991 online paper). Though it refers to PMA audit and "restoring FDA's confidence in company's integrity" and our audit was just a "random" audit.

Is the CEO considered as directly responsible for the warehouse, for instance? if the CEO would audit the warehouse he would be auditing the warehouse manager. Then I would say that the warehouse manager is directly responsible to the matter being audited (and therefore HE can't do the audit). Does this make sense?

mihzago

I think the FDA's view is that the CEO has a direct responsibility for the entire company and all of its activities. CEOs are held responsible for anything that happens in the company.
There was one notable enforcement action a while ago (I don't remember the company) where the CEO was sent to prison for some egregious activities in the manufacturing facility, despite the CEO claiming that he was not aware of any of it happening.

pkost

I think the FDA's view is that the CEO has a direct responsibility for the entire company and all of its activities. CEOs are held responsible for anything that happens in the company.
There was one notable enforcement action a while ago (I don't remember the company) where the CEO was sent to prison for some egregious activities in the manufacturing facility, despite the CEO claiming that he was not aware of any of it happening.

I would argue that a CEO is accountable, but not necessarily directly responsible. The CEO may not have been aware, but he has a responsibility to to ensure that the company is operating legally. He does this by putting in policies, providing sufficient resource and implementing thorough oversight/governance activities.

Without knowing the specific case you are referring to I can only guess, but if the activities were so bad, it is possible that the court believed that he/she did know what was going on and chose to ignore it/lie to the court. Equally, he may not have operated with adequate diligence

If it can be argued that a CEO is directly responsible for all activities, I would extend the logic to say that the CEO must be competent in all activities that his business carries out (as should every director for their respective areas of responsibility etc etc). This would be a ludicrous situation and rather unrealistic

mihzago

'Accountable' may be a more appropriate word, as you suggested; however, the main point here is that a company must established independence.

Here's an excerpt from the Preamble:

"56. Some comments stated that requiring ``individuals who do not have direct responsibility for the matters being audited'' to conduct the audits is impractical and burdensome, particularly for small manufacturers.

FDA disagrees with the comments. Both small and large manufacturers have been subject to the identical requirement since 1978 and FDA knows of no hardship, on small or large manufacturers, as a result. Small manufacturers must generally establish independence, even if it means hiring outside auditors, because the failure to have an independent auditor could result in an ineffective audit.

Manufacturers must realize that conducting effective quality audits is crucial. Without the feedback provided by the quality audit and other information sources, such as complaints and service records, manufacturers operate in an open loop system with no assurance that the process used to design and produce devices is operating in a state of control. ISO 9001:1994 has the same requirement for independence from the activity being audited."

With that, in my opinion, you would have a very difficult time trying to justify having the CEO audit the production facility.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Why are most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
G QMS - Selling the idea to the CEO! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
R Should the CEO Need a Job Description? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Wes Bucey Are you nice? Interview with a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 9
E Is it Possible to Exclude Top Management (CEO, Chairman) in the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
Ajit Basrur The CEO Story Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
S How would you live with a suspicious CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 5
R Looking into the eyes of your company's president, CEO, or boss Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
P Preparations for an interview with a company CEO Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
H Top Management and CEO - What questions will be asked during audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
T Absent CEO - My CEO and Engineering Manager have been laid off ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc Ford CEO gets $28M for 4 months work World News 15
Marc Oil Company CEO Pay Averaged $32.7 Million in 2005, Study Says World News 2
ccochran Letter to your CEO on Quality The Reading Room 32
Marc Keep Your Resume Accurate - Lying on Resume cost CEO his job and $25.1 million Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
Marc Want to get raises? Become a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Jim Wynne How to become a CEO Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Nice job if you can get it: CEO compensation jumps 30% in 2004 Career and Occupation Discussions 0
sonflowerinwales To implement IS14001 or not - Just been asked by my CEO Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 34
C Jobs Outsourcing and CEO Pay Raises World News 5
I Auditing the CEO - How? What should our Internal Auditor ask? Internal Auditing 6
E CEO Involvement - How far do I go with insisting that they attend meetings, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Discussing Quality Objectives with a new CEO - What would YOU ASK? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Marc COO - CEO -- Who's Responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Internal Audit of CEO or MD, not MR Internal Auditing 1
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
F Who can sit in/perform an API audit? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
V Supplier wants to perform pre-qualifications prior to every run instead of locking in parameters. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 2 – Level of clinical evidence and what sufficient clinical evidence means Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 9
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 1 – Overview and sample of activities Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
E Input to ANOVA 1-WAY - How can I perform this analysis in minitab? Using Minitab Software 2
B AS9102 FAI & Lower Level Drawings - How should we perform the FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Perform a coating weight test within 3 hours of processing the parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D How to ensure independence and authority necessary to perform QM tasks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S When will notified bodies be ready to perform audit to the MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
chris1price Is there a regulatory (MDD, MDR, FDA, ISO, etc) requirement to perform a mock recall? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B How to perform a MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) A&R/ANOVA Vs GUM/VDA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
W DCMA and AS9100C - Dedicating a week and 5 auditors to perform a AS9100C audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
W How to perform validation for an epoxy curing station Manufacturing and Related Processes 3