Can External Audits by Customer be treated As Internal Audits

paultyler

Involved In Discussions
If your customer conducts an audit can one include this in records as part of the internal audting process. If not would you still retain records of customer audits, if so what section of AS9100 would this apply too?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: External Audits As Internal Audits

If your customer conducts an audit can one include this in records as part of the internal audting process. If not would you still retain records of customer audits, if so what section of AS9100 would this apply too?
I'm not an expert in the aerospace realm, but I think your question is generic enough for me to weigh in (if not, someone will correct me :D).
In general, there are three types of audits: third-party (by CBs/registrars), second-party (by customers, generally) and internal (performed by employees of your company (including contractors). A second-party audit is not an internal audit in the same sense that a third-party audit is not a second-party audit. The categories are non-overlapping. You would certainly want to keep records of all of them, including second-party audits, but I don't think there should be a need to try and find justification (or a requirement) in the standard to do so.

B

BadgerMan

Here is my opinion…..

I would not let a customer audit suffice as an internal audit for the reasons that Jim has stated but also because a second party auditor would generally not have the same level of insight as a good internal auditor. Hence, a properly performed internal audit should be much more effective at discovering opportunities to improve.

Second party audits are generally just a cursory verification of compliance whereas internal audits should be a thorough assessment of processes with an emphasis on identifying opportunities for improvement.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

If your customer conducts an audit can one include this in records as part of the internal audting process.
Absolutely NOT. You have no control over the scope, depth, criteria and competence of a customer audit(or).
If not would you still retain records of customer audits, if so what section of AS9100 would this apply too?
The part that requires top management to review results of audits, during management reviews: AS9100B 5.6.2.a)

J

Without getting into the specifics of standards, the short and simple answer is "Absolutely NOT".
An Internal audit (I audit me for me) is to be conducted by someone in the firm, or by someone specifically hired by the firm to examine the processes FOR the firm. The Goal is, not just to assure compliance, but to help determine if imporvements can be made.

A Customer Audit (I audit you for me) has an entirely different focus. Number one you did not hire them, they hired you. Second they are not necessarily interested in improving your systems but are more interested in can you meet their specific requirements.

While you may find benefit from customer audits, they cannot be considered by any definition, an internal audit. I would not accept this if I were conducting a second or third party audit of you.

Peace
James

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

You must rather take all the outputs of the customer audit into consideration when you plan your internal audits. It can no way be a substitution. The 1st party, 2nd party, 3rd party audits are clearly said by Jim up this thread.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: External Audits by Customer As Internal Audits

I too think it does not.
I would like to add that a Customer audit could be a trigger for an internal audit on the interested processes , to make internally follow up on the effectiveness of the corrective actions implemented, in case your Customer raised some non conformity during the 2nd part audit.
Hope this helps.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Even I agree that the answer is NO to the OP's question.

Can anyone throw light on this scenario -

There is a customer whose OEM is a Tier I organization. Now, this Tier I has subcontracted some of his activities to a Tier II organization. If Tier I audits Tier II organization, its definitely a second party audit.

But if the end Customer wants to audit the OEM, Tier I organization and as part of its preparedness, if Tier I audits Tier II, would that be still second party audit ?

My understanding was that when the end customer wishes to audit Tier I, both the organizations viz. Tier I and Tier II are like a common supplier, isnt it ?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Not so sure.
I think that in the supply chain End Customer interfaces only on Tier 1.
Tier 2 could also be a supplier of another Customer or Tier 2 of another Tier 1 for a different product, in a sort of "foundry model".
Probaly this theme merits more in depth analysis, looking directly the relationship and the agreement done between the counterparts.
Hope this helps

Even I agree that the answer is NO to the OP's question.

Can anyone throw light on this scenario -

There is a customer whose OEM is a Tier I organization. Now, this Tier I has subcontracted some of his activities to a Tier II organization. If Tier I audits Tier II organization, its definitely a second party audit.

But if the end Customer wants to audit the OEM, Tier I organization and as part of its preparedness, if Tier I audits Tier II, would that be still second party audit ?

My understanding was that when the end customer wishes to audit Tier I, both the organizations viz. Tier I and Tier II are like a common supplier, isnt it ?

Question 1 - NO! Internal audits are exactly that! The customer isn't internal to your organization?

Question 2 - Yes! You might have to be selective about how 'accurate' a customer's audit is, but you should still take notice!

Although you have a lot of descriptive answers here, the fact is Sidney gave you the correct answers........

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J External third party audits Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
B Integrating ISO 9001/27001 External Audits - Audit Time Reduced? Discounts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Scope of External & Internal Audits General Auditing Discussions 10
W Hiring an External Auditor to perform our AS9100 Compliance Audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G Combining ISO 9001 and TS 16949 External Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S How to quantify the Benefits of Internal and External OHS audits? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
D External Parties performing Internal Audits? TS 16949 Clause 8.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
E First external audit coming up, do I need to have performed Internal Audits already? Internal Auditing 15
S External Audits without site visit? General Auditing Discussions 14
A Audit Database that captures internal, external audits - Prime Part 21 manufacturer Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
G External Audit Finding - Audits of System Management vs. Process Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Handling External Audits with Internal Vacations General Auditing Discussions 101
B Internal Audits save you from Non-Conformances on external audits? General Auditing Discussions 16
M Preparing for External Audits - Asking Registrar for their Audit Check List(s) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
Crusader Your Internal Audit Team: Internal or Hired External? Outsourcing Internal Audits Internal Auditing 100
Paul Simpson Value Added External Audits - Do External Audits add value to your system? General Auditing Discussions 36
A Meeting the ISO 14001 Periodic Audits Requirement - Internal vs. External Auditing ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 11
P Is the second factor authentication (2FA) required for external users? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J State of the Art for Documents of External Origin ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Recommended software to send Quality scorecards to suppliers (external providers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J External Standard Services Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Logistic/shipping companies as external providers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Requirement for Retention of Records of Withdrawn Documents of External Origin Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
L IATF external audit virtual (remote) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
A IEC 62304 safety classification, External Controls and off-label use related risks IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
N Audit non-compliance API Q1 - Use of External Documents 4.4.4 in Product Realization Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
I What kind of wine best complements the Friday that you close out your external audit findings? Opinions are welcome. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
B How to apply external voltage to SIP/SOP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Qualifying commercial off the shelf (COTS) external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A OHSAS 18001 external auditor finding personal interpretation? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Identifying and Controlling External Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
C ISO 17025 2017, Requirement 6.6.3 - Communicate requirements to external providers ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43