Can flowcharts replace text based Procedures?

H

Heatcraft

I belive that 2000 version requires 6 procedures. My companie like most has many more than that and many of them do not reflect anything close to what is actually done, because we are growing so fast things are changing all the time. My question is it possible to replace department procedures with flowcharts.

I know you are thinking " what does he think that is going to do for him, the flowchart still has to reflect the process. Yes, but I find that people can generate a fairly detailed flowchart much faster than a written procedure. I guess it is mental hang up with writting.

I would like to have.
1) Quality Manual- the basic repeat of the standard
2) Flowcharts for procedures
3) Forms to document system.

Will this work?

C

Craig H.

Heatcraft

Not only can you use flowcharts, where possible I recommend that you do, for the reasons you mentioned.

Also, in another thread, there is discussion about the problem of communicating with people who speak different languages. Visual tools can be a great help there, too. Of course they still have to read the flowchart, but it is much easier to grasp than a pure-text instruction.

Can your proposed scenario work?

IMO, Absolutely.

Good Luck!!

Craig

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Flow charts are an amazing tool, Heatcraft! Not only do they, as Craig said, help in cases where there are potential communication issues, but they are wonderful training tools, as well. What a better way to grasp the over process than a flow chart. It is much easier to see the potential paths that a process can lead a person down. Goodness knows, I learn better by pictures than by reading a short novel that some documents can turn into! ;)

Also think about using digital pictures with arrows and text inserted to highlight key points. A picture really is worth a thousand words!

And, btw, welcome! :bigwave:

- RcB

N

noboxwine

PICTURES ARE KOOL !

HEATCRAFT----WELCOME !!!...AND, AFTER DOING THIS QUALITY GIG FOR, WELL, TOO LONG, THE ONLY VALUABLE FORMAT I HAVE FOUND FOR ANY INSTRUCTIONS, PROCEDURES, ETC. IS A COMBINATION OF FLOW CHARTS AND PICTURES. KEEP 'EM SHORT AND VISUAL AND THEY WILL BE EFFECTIVE. TAKE THE MULTI-LEVEL BULLETS AND 10 PAGE LEGAL DOCUMENTS AND SHRED THEM ALL !!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED SOME EXAMPLES-----:thedeal:

M

M Greenaway

Heat

I guess you are asking if a diagram of a process, or inter-related sub-processes can replace traditional text based documents.

Well yes.

ISO9001 does not dictate the format of your procedures (or related sub-processes if you wish).

It is my intent to only process map for what we traditionally have seen in procedures, and support elements that need it with works instructions - just like you.

Also as you suggest, a diagram that just points out the major cornerstones of the process is more 'robust' to constant organisational, and detailed changes.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Can flowcharts replace Procedures?

Heatcraft said:

I would like to have.
1) Quality Manual- the basic repeat of the standard

Why? If your going to do this just go out and buy something that has already been done and regurgitate it.

BTW...Welcome
:bigwave:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
ISO defines a document as "information and its supporting medium." If your flowchart contains all of the required information, then there's no reason that anyone should question a flow chart as a procedure.

I don't usually use the flowchart as a standalone procedure (although I have done it before). I almost always start by flowcharting a process before I start writing any procedure though. I include the flowchart as a key part of the procedure.

A

Al Dyer

I do agree that flowcharts are great and can replace procedures under the proper circumstances.

What has to be taken into account is how the policy, procedures, work instruction, and related documents are woven into the system.

I've seen too many companies try to initiate flow charts and fail to cross-referrence other important documents that apply to the same activity.

I agree to flow charts all the way, as long as there is a good plan for incorporation into the entire quality/manufacturing system.

Al...:)

H

Heatcraft

Thanks for the responces. I am working for a HVAC company. I have only been with them about 7 weeks and was brought in for several reasons, one being the 2000 deadline is December and they are not yet converted. I have been in quality for about 10 years but my skills definetly are in working with people, processes, and suppliers when things are bad to make the good again. Every company I have worked for before this one had an ISO cordinator. ( who I have to admit I normaly viewed as an obstical to overcome when attempting change). I paying for that now though. I had no idea what they went though. No I know why they did not like me changing things every day! I never knew so many people would rather make a copy of the same old form (which they have hidden in their desk) than go to the supplie closet and get a new pad??? I have so many questions and not alot of time. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom