Can I Audit Quality Procedures if I come from the Quality Department

andreww

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I am work in quality department. Now I am assigned to do internal audit and asked to make a audit schedule. There are about 30 procedures in quality department. Actually I am responsible for CAPA, calibration, internal audit, certification.Among these 30 procedures, there is 20 procedures not relating CAPA, calibration, internal audit and certification. So can I audit these 20 procedures in quality department. Thanks.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Can I audit quality procedures if I come from Quality department

Hi, I am work in quality department. Now I am assigned to do internal audit and asked to make a audit schedule. There are about 30 procedures in quality department. Actually I am responsible for CAPA, calibration, internal audit, certification.Among these 30 procedures, there is 20 procedures not relating CAPA, calibration, internal audit and certification. So can I audit these 20 procedures in quality department. Thanks.

You as auditor shall be independent: this means you cannot audit your own job. This is a principle of the audit as per ISO19001.
Said that , I think there could be a misunderstanding: don't you audit processes in your audit program?
Procedures are only a part of the processes of an organization..
I guess you can audit processes and check for compliance vs these procedures across organization's processes.
If this is not possible , you should have other internal auditors to assure independency.
Pls, let me know if I undestood the problem and if helped:bigwave:

andreww

Involved In Discussions

Hi Gusys, thanks for your reply. Your understanding is exactly right. I will go for auditing these 20 procedures

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hi Gusys, thanks for your reply. Your understanding is exactly right. I will go for auditing these 20 procedures

My suggestion is to audit the process and not only procedures.
Take into consideration the turtle diagram to better analyze a process, in terms of inputs, ouptput, resources, competences, documentation, tools, support processes, linked processes, measurement and records.
If you have written the procedures, you should check if the organization is compliant or not.
But, repeat, this is only an aspect. The advice is to use internal audit to give them value add for management decisions.:bigwave:

AndyN

Moved On

You as auditor shall be independent: this means you cannot audit your own job. This is a principle of the audit as per ISO19001.

The actual requirement is to be objective and impartial and to not audit your own work...

Subtle, but important, differences...

J

Jason PCSwitches

You should audit the processes not the procedures. Use the procedures as a guide or reference mind you but focus on the process it's applied to. That is how you will get the most value out of your internal audits.

Top Bottom