Can I do Quality System Audit instead of Procedure Audit in this scenario?

andreww

Involved In Discussions
Our organization has about 70 staff. There is about 170 quality procedures in QMS. These procedures covers 10 functions. (such as quality, manufacturing, engineering, sales, purchasing and etc.)

ISO 9001 QMS was finally built 4 years. Process owner reviewed quality procedures 4 years ago. Management assign me to do internal audit on quality procedures 3 years ago. The purpose of internal audit is to find if what we do is conform to what we say, and find any improvement opportunity.

I am only one internal auditor in my organization. So I can not audit my job/procedure. I am sure management will find another auditor from different department to audit my job in the future.

When I audit quality procedures and found a lot non-conformances, also a lot of procedures are not up to date to reflect what we are doing, although procedure have been reviewed before.

Management want me to improve efficiency of internal audit (do more audits). However I have other tasks to do. Currently I am doing procedure audit. (i.e. one procedure, one audit).

Now I am thinking maybe I can do quality system audit instead of procedure audit to speed up my internal audit process.

In this senario, can I do system audit to improve my efficiency. My concern is if I conduct system audit, maybe each clause of procedure can not be fully went though/covered during system audit.

Any suggestion. Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Chance

Re: Can I do Quality system audit instead of procedure audit in this senario?

You mentioned that there are instances where the procedure needs some update, it does not reflect what is done in reality.
You cannnot gurantee that your procedures would be perfect, they might be optimum this time but tomorrow they change. They are developed by humans who are not perfect.
Might be good to audit one department at a time instead of every procedure.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Can I do Quality System Audit instead of Procedure Audit in this senario?

Our organization has about 70 staff. There is about 170 quality procedures in QMS. These procedures covers 10 functions. (such as quality, manufacturing, engineering, sales, purchasing and etc.)

ISO 9001 QMS was finally built 4 years. Process owner reviewed quality procedures 4 years ago. Management assign me to do internal audit on quality procedures 3 years ago. The purpose of internal audit is to find if what we do is conform to what we say, and find any improvement opportunity.

I am only one internal auditor in my organization. So I can not audit my job/procedure. I am sure management will find another auditor from different department to audit my job in the future.

When I audit quality procedures and found a lot non-conformances, also a lot of procedures are not up to date to reflect what we are doing, although procedure have been reviewed before.

Management want me to improve efficiency of internal audit (do more audits). However I have other tasks to do. Currently I am doing procedure audit. (i.e. one procedure, one audit).

Now I am thinking maybe I can do quality system audit instead of procedure audit to speed up my internal audit process.

In this senario, can I do system audit to improve my efficiency. My concern is if I conduct system audit, maybe each clause of procedure can not be fully went though/covered during system audit.

Any suggestion. Thank you.
This scenario, even though a "system" has been in place for 4 years, is still indicative of an "immature" system, based on your description of things.

I really think it would benefit you to use a gap analysis checklist, and create an action plan to ensure conformance to the standard from an element standpoint, during which you can employ your internal audit program to check for process effectiveness. And be sure to select your audits based on status and importance, plus the results of previous audits, whether internal or external. These are indicators of when to properly schedule audits. Condition your program to "pull" your internal audits when problems arise with the system, do not "push" them as if they are just another task to be completed (unless you just want the glory of the certificate on the wall and nothing more).

A pre-cursor to this, of course, is to ensure your processes have been properly identified, their sequence and interactions known and communicated throughout, and if not already, your internal audit program re-engineered to focus on these processes, and not the departments. Competency and training of your future auditors is also key here. Only through close study of the interactivity between these system processes will your internal audits gain any real value, and as your system matures over time, a new culture of process-oriented improvement will emerge, which in turn will affect the quality of your product/service, and maybe even the bottom line (provided you can capture that information effectively).

Done right, it will encompass all these types of audits you seek to do (product, procedure, system, etc.) and bring them together under one unified umbrella. I can see this happening in a small organization like yours.

Hope I've Helped...:rolleyes:
Brian

S

ssz102

I have a question: your procedure is 170, what are they documents? including WI and SOP and SIP?

most of documents is exsit, so you will read it and go on the site they are comply with the requirements of operation and standards or not

meanwhile, you need to make a checklist including audit document, record, training, the product realization, product identify, the maintaince of equipment and calibration for measurement device, continual improvement, the control of non-conformance and so on

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource

I have a question: your procedure is 170, what are they documents? including WI and SOP and SIP?

most of documents is exsit, so you will read it and go on the site they are comply with the requirements of operation and standards or not

meanwhile, you need to make a checklist including audit document, record, training, the product realization, product identify, the maintaince of equipment and calibration for measurement device, continual improvement, the control of non-conformance and so on
What you are recommending is nothing more than a document / record audit and maybe a gap analysis. While this does not hurt, a lot more stuff needs to take place. The fact that Andreww posted

The purpose of internal audit is to find if what we do is conform to what we say, and find any improvement opportunity.
indicates to me that even their upper management may not be fully aware of the potentials of their internal auditing program. The whole "say what we do and do what we say" ruse simply does not address the multitude of variables (especially the negative ones) that can pop up due to process interactions, because when an internal auditor focuses on the documentation alone, they are in fact missing out on many other opportunities for improvement, which only helps to further the common misconceptions that internal auditing is usually attributed to.

We must remain aware that documentation is only part of a QMS, not the end-all...

Brian

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Andrew - the answer to your question is in what you wrote. To try and perform 170- audits/year against individual procedures will not produce the results you need from internal audits.

You mentioned 'functions' such as sales, engineering, purchasing etc. - that is what you should be auditing - the processes of the business. Now, I don't know your business and it may be that the functions you mention don't reflect the processes of the business so you need to do a bit of a review first.

Take each process and audit it - bring in whatever procedures are applicable to the process - whether that is 1 or 10 - it doesn't matter.

Also, try and schedule the audits in the general business flow e.g. start with sales, then design, then purchasing - or whatever your process flow is. That way, not only do you audit each process but you also get to see how effectively they link together (or not).

The result of this approach means that each audit will be much longer to do but there will be a fraction of the number to complete and more importantly, you will get much more meaningful information back.

andreww

Involved In Discussions

Thank you very much! Colin. It is very great information for me. I will try and do it in my internal audit schedule.

andreww

Involved In Discussions

Colin. "Take each process and audit it - bring in whatever procedures are applicable to the process - whether that is 1 or 10 - it doesn't matter.". If I start with Sales and sales got 10 procedures, which way is the best to perform audit on this process (sales)? Go though each procedures (10 procedure audits individually)? or combine 10 procedures together in one check list (It would be a big audit process)? or another way? Please advise. Thanks.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Ask the auditee/departmental manager to explain what they do to in order to deal with enquiries and convert them into orders and cross check this with what the procedures say. Then, take a few of orders and follow them through the system to see if what they say and what the procedures say align with each other.

I would take a new one, an older one, a big one, a small one etc in order to get a good cross section.

Now, not everyone in this forum will agree with this but I would also cross check what they do, say they do, are proven to be doing, with what clause 7.2 requires (because it is sales). While you are there, you will also be checking records, some document control, responsibilities etc.

Don't forget that in an audit you are seeking to determine what the companies practice is, that is, what are they actually doing. You may not get there by simply trying to audit to a checklist or to procedures.

As others have posted, in preparing for the audit, study the procedures as well as anything else there is available tell you how the process you are about to audit works, then determine what they are actually doing by interviewing and observing. The things that can tell you how that process works may include KPI, interaction charts, process flow charts, and (even as much as I disdain them they can sometimes be useful) turtle diagrams.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
L IATF 16949 Clause 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C IATF Cl. 9.2.2.2 Quality Management System Audit - CQI-23 Molding System Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q Internal Audit of Product Quality Complaint System (21 CFR Part 820) Customer Complaints 9
A What documents would an FDA auditor want to see in an FDA Audit of Quality System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
M Implementing an AS9100 Quality System - Stage 1 Audit for AS9100 is Oct 2012 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22
J Supplier Quality Management System (QMS) Audit - Formal Documented QMS does not exist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System? Internal Auditing 8
Q How to Audit the Client Quality System - Product Failure caused by no Maintenance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Quality Auditing System - Audit Plan per guidance from ISO 19011 Internal Auditing 8
6 How to implement a functional system and carry out high quality internal Audit? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M GM's QSB (Quality System Basics) - Checklist for Control Plan Audit development. FMEA and Control Plans 4
W Supplier Quality Manual and Supplier Quality System Audit Format Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J First Surveillance Audit - QMS Dynamics and Quality System Indicators ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
C An Internal Audit Challenge - Audit of the Quality System Effectiveness Internal Auditing 42
R Quality System vs. Process vs. Product Audit - TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 49
K Quality Management System (QMS) audit checklist needed General Auditing Discussions 3
Y Is Quality System Audit a Prevention or Appraisal Cost? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 48
S Quality Management System turtle diagram to audit the QMS Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
Icy Mountain Quality Management System Audit and CSRs - 8.2.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Who may audit the internal quality audit system? General Auditing Discussions 8
C Audit Checklists: Quality Management System - Manufacturing Process - Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Are internal audit results a true reflection of the organisations quality system Internal Auditing 2
T What is a Quality Management System? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
W Posting Non-Quality System instructions on the Production Floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
T ISO quality system software such as MQ1 (which is what we currently use) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L Language of quality system in case of FDA inspection US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O Quality Management System Implementation framework and Gap analysis checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
T Quality Management System Q1 and Q2 Interpretations Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO/CD 7101 Health Care Quality Management System Standard Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
R Quality adjusting inventory in ERP system AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
bobdoering Most typical universal Quality System Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
C Quality Management System Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
M Unique Quality Management System for 2 sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Quality System Functional Safety Checklist / Guidance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D Big companies suffer from quality management system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
T Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M MDR requires the NB to perform "tests in order to check that the quality management system" EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Include cost of quality (and other wastes) in an ISO 9001 system? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
J Quality Assurance in China - Developing a quality management system for a California company Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9