Can I get Full PPAP approval when some components are at interim approval?

V

vardar3

I have to submitt PPAP to a customer. Of the 21 components, three of them are at interim approval, due to them not being able to prove out capability.
  • The parts work fine in the assembly.
  • Can I submit PPAP with components at interim approval, and get full approval from my customer?
  • Is there a type of document (like deviation request) that can get me full approval despite my supplier interims?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Can I get Full PPAP approval when suppliers are at interim

I have to submitt PPAP to a customer. Of the 21 components, three of them are at interim approval, due to them not being able to prove out capabality.
  • The parts work fine in the assembly.
  • Can I submitt PPAP with components at interim approval, and get full approval from my customer?
  • Is there a type of document (like deviation request) that can get me full approval despite my supplier interims?
This will depend completely upon what your customer is willing to accept, and what their own PPAP requirements might be. In general, the answer is that components should be fully qualified at the time of submission of an assembly PPAP, but only your customer can say for sure.

V

vardar3

Since our supplier issues are not going to get resolved by the PPAP deadline, do you suggest submitting a deviation request in any form, to the customer for these interim PPAP's parts, will that help in any way.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Do the deviations of the suppliers effect the customer requirements?

If you are 100% compliant with the customer in my mind there is no problem

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Since our supplier issues are not going to get resolved by the PPAP deadline, do you suggest submitting a deviation request in any form, to the customer for these interim PPAP's parts, will that help in any way.
The best thing to do would be to discuss the issue with the customer. It might be that the customer would be willing to give you interim approval, or the customer, depending on circumstances not in evidence here, might be willing to grant full approval. My own experience has been that PPAP submissions with surprises in them are frowned upon by customers. If you aren't meeting the requirement, the basic rule is to inform the customer and go from there. From the AIAG PPAP manual, 4th Edition, page 4:

If any part specifications cannot be met, the organization shall document their problem-solving efforts and shall contact the authorized customer representative for concurrence in determination of appropriate corrective action.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Do the deviations of the suppliers effect the customer requirements?

If you are 100% compliant with the customer in my mind there is no problem
Yes, which is why I asked about the design responsibility for the components in question. If the assembly is defined by the customer only at the top level and the top level meets the requirements, there is no problem with submitting the PPAP or even divulging the component issues

V

vardar3

You hit right on the bigger problem though. One supplier part is responsible for 4 significant characteristics on the top level assembly print, and they are not capable.

So I cannot submitt evidence to the customer that proves out the SC's. That is the main problem. We considered measuring parts in house and "massaging" the numbers, but I'm not going to do that. I think I need to come out with it that our supplier is not capable, and I cannot provide eveidence of it. how would I go forward with that? What do you think?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

You hit right on the bigger problem though. One supplier part is responsible for 4 significant characteristics on the top level assembly print, and they are not capable.

So I cannot submitt evidence to the customer that proves out the SC's. That is the main problem. We considered measuring parts in house and "massaging" the numbers, but I'm not going to do that. I think I need to come out with it that our supplier is not capable, and I cannot provide eveidence of it. how would I go forward with that? What do you think?
If you're going by the AIAG default PPAP requirements, you need to put together an action plan and present it to your customer before your PPAP is submitted.

V

vardar3

Is that in PPAP 4th edition? I'm not familiar with it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Requirements in TS for PPAP - Full PPAP or as per Customer Requirement? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
L Link to an example of a full 19 element PPAP example - Seeking APQP and PPAP 5
C PPAP etiquette - Full PPAP Requested for Minor Dimensional Change APQP and PPAP 15
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A ISO 9001 lead auditor as Full time career India Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna ANSI acquires full ownership of ANAB - December 2018 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
L Is writing out the ISO9001:2015 standard full name a requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M Bringing blending in-house - Verification or full validation? (Disinfectants) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R ISO 13485:2016 Registration - NC on full cycle of internal audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
C Full QMS Audit and Internal Audit Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
F MDSAP vs "Full" FDA Requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Malaysia - Full Labelling Local Language Translation Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J Use of Harmonised Standards (Full or Partial) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O AS9100 AQMS AEA Qualification Audits 4 Full QMS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S OBL (Own Brand Labeling) - Full Quality to Production Quality EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S When to switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
Y Is CFDA registration required if the full system is registered by our distributors? China Medical Device Regulations 2
V General Full Factorial - Optimal Design Six Sigma 2
O Is a full Internal Audit cycle every year required? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
K Half-Fractional vs. Full Factorial Central Composite Design Using Minitab Software 6
K Experiments Using Full Factorial Design Using Minitab Software 12
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Full Quality Assurance Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc Naked-image full-body scanners to be taken out of U.S. airports Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 14
R Full Time Internal Auditor - Where should I be looking for someone? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
P Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE Using Minitab Software 3
M ISO/TS 16949 Clause 8.1: Full of Repetitive Requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K What does Data Logger Accuracy = ? 0.25% of Full scale ? 1 Digit Mean? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Cool Minitab Document 'Sample' - Help with FULL Version location/access? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Conductivity Meter Specification - What Is Accuracy +/- 1% Full Scale + 1 digit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K Audit NC - No evidence of a full 5 Why Analysis for the Customer Complaint Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
R How to understand the "full scale peak-to-valley output" mentioned in IEC 60601-2-27 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R What is the Full-form of API & FDF? Pharma Related Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Limited Calibrations - An instrument that will not pass a full calibration, OOT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Q Full Job Description and Responsibilities in ISO 9000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Samples for Customer Evaluation prior to Full Release 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Measurement Error Requirements - 99% or 99.73% spread to represent the 'full' spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R CNC OTS Software Validation Separate from full IQ/OQ/PQ for 21CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Full or Partial - Changes to NC programming Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D Full factorial design, 4 factors, each has its own # of levels. Using Minitab Software 6
C Analyzing Full Factorial Design in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
D Problems with DOE - Different levels in parameters of a full factorial experiment Using Minitab Software 1
D Calibration Certificate - 'test report shall not be reproduced except in full' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2