Can I issue a NCR if the auditee did not comply what he is suppose to do?

johnnybegood

Involved In Discussions
Can I issue a NCR if the auditee did not comply what he is suppose to do but the activity is not documented?
Is there a time frame that a CA has to be determine and implemented?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

johnnybegood

Involved In Discussions
The process engineer had introduce the SPC program for solder paste printing where the operator is required to check for solder paste thickness every 2 hours and the data is then plotted on the SPC charts. However this activities are not documented but the operators were trained. During a roving audit I found that some of the operator did not carried out the task. Question is, can I file a NCR for failing to perform the task?

My next question is on the CA. Very often the auditee did not provide CA timely. Though we did not spell out the time frame in responding the NCR, I find it very tiring to follow up for the NRC closure. Is there and guideline on the NCR respond time? 1 week, 2 weeks? Pls. advise.

M

M Greenaway

Johnny

The fact that people arent doing something is symptomatic of something else. Some suggestions are:-

The process of SPC checks is not adequately defined.

Training was inadequate.

Motivation is poor (top management commitment ?).

Inadequate resources.

Try looking for root cause on one of the above (or others you might think of).

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Based on info given YES, " No record of checks for solder paste thickness every two hours as required by training" I would assume that you checked the trainers notes to see that this was covered in the training on the form used. I have seen various response times from 12 hours to 90 days, most that I have seen have fallen in the 14-30 day range.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
johnnybegood said:

My next question is on the CA. Very often the auditee did not provide CA timely. Though we did not spell out the time frame in responding the NCR, I find it very tiring to follow up for the NRC closure. Is there and guideline on the NCR respond time? 1 week, 2 weeks? Pls. advise.
I won't spend a lot of time on whether or not you can request a corrective action be done, you've gotten good info from others.

As far as timely response to corrective action requests, you do have the right to expect answers, but you need to make sure that your time frames are documented.

As background: What I have found throughout the years is that people confuse investigation with corrective action. You want to set deadlines of when you expect an investigation to be done and documented. From there, it will be decided what actions are required and those actions must also have their own due dates. It is not always possible to complete ALL corrective actions in a week or two. Some may take a year or more.

And so, set a due date for investigation results and a corrective action plan to be submitted. We use 1 week for a major (high priority), 2 weeks for a normal priority item, and 3 weeks for a low priority item. The priorities are set by the auditor (originator), myself, and manager of the area involved. By the due date, I expect to see an investigation documented along with identification of the root cause and some sort of action plan. Those actions do not need to all be recorded, but a plan does.

The next step, is to coordinate documenting the actual corrective actions needed and to set due dates for each. Make them realistic, if you are purchasing big ticket production equipment to correct a problem, don't say the corrective action will be done tomorrow, it takes time to research, purchase, build, ship, install and test something like that for capability. On the other hand, if you just need to create new or revised documentation, you sholdn't need a month to do it. (the sandbagger effect :biglaugh:)

I have found that if you get everyone submitting their investigations on time, the scheduling of corrective actions becomes more second nature to people, it is mostly just a matter of discipline. Do not be afraid of bringing up names when you have folks that don't do their part. If you are sitting in your steering committee meetings and one area is always ignoring deadlines, peer pressure may work to your advantage

Good luck, it takes a while to get everyone on board. BTW, the SPC problem you encountered is pretty common, there is always one, I once had a guy that would take all his charts home and fill them in during the weekend! I solved that one by going real-time with data collection SPC software.:p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D Can an AS9100 auditor issue an NCR a month after the audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K NCR or CA? We're taking any issue we have and saying its a nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
M A question about "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 3
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc Fuel tank issue (FOD) hits Boeing’s 737 MAX - Feb 2020 World News 16
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
G PolyWorks Alignment Issue - How to align the part General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
E Determining what is good and what is bad can be subjective - when is it a quality issue? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Ed Panek Sensitive Supplier Issue - Single source supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B NB won't issue CE Certificate or return phone calls CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J MAG 6 and EASA Part-145 Issue 005. EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
A ISO/IEC 27001 - Issue during implementation of system IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Saturated salts issue - Humidity Chamber General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
Sidney Vianna ASQ apparently doesn't know ISO does not issue ISO 9001 certificates? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
K Class II Medical Device Compatibility Issue - Removal or Market withdrawal? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Can you stock parts without an 8130 and issue one at time of sale? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
R How many Corrective Action Request can be Issued by DCMA for a single issue? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
R DCMA QAR Service Issue - Resident Inspectors absent from the plant AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R Wet Signature Document Attachments in SAP - Risk on Data Integrity issue? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
Mikishots Definition Issue - "Issue" vs. "Risk" in ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100 Rev D (Definitions) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
F Power Cord Length Issue - Medical Device Electrical Safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Breach of Contract from Registrar (Auditor Payment Issue) Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
T EASA TAG Block 11 Status/Work issue Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Issue with CAPA system - Should Over Due CAs warrant a CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 17
S Could I issue major finding for Inadequate Procedures Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 17
G IEC 60601-1-2 Sample Size issue Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Repeatability issue in Gage R&R study for inner diameter of a bushing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
G Out of Dimensional Tolerance - MRB Audit Issue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
P Cross Section Issue - Dissecting a plastic part for measurement Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Supplier Process Review and Issue Communication SOP/Form help wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
L Excel 2013 file issue - Information in the drop down menu disappears Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
J Clear Zinc Plating Corrosion issue...Need some education Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Excel Conditional Format Issue Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 16
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Documents in different languages - Revision and Issue Number Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M Management Commitment signature issue in same Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8