Can I put ISO Standards on our Company Intranet?

D

dbulak

Is it legal to copy the ISO standards and place them on our intranet server so any one can view them? Also, if someone wants their own copy of the standard(within the company) how should that copy be identified?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Well...

My copy says: © 2000 CEN. All rights of exploitation in any form and by any means reserved worldwide for CEN national Members.

CEN = European Committee for Standardization.

It all depends on your deal with your national member.

/Claes

T

tomvehoski

As for the PDF file from ASQ we purchased, technically it is not legal. The copyright notice states: "...No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form, including an electronic retrieval system, without prior written permission of ASQ..." I probably just violated the copyright by typing that.

I never bother controlling the ISO standard itself. If someone wants a copy they can have it. My systems rely on using the procedures, work instructions, etc. Nowhere is anyone ever referred to the ISO standard, so I don't see a need to keep it controlled.

I don't think you are going to have any issues if you put a PDF on a network to share in your company. If you start posting free copies on line or selling it, then you may have problems.

Tom

G

Graeme

what it says here is ...

All of the ANSI/ISO/ASQ Q9000 series (the United States' legal equivalent of the international ISO 9000 series) standards have a statement that says:
This standard is subject to copyright claims of ISO, ANSI and ASQ. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form, including on an electronic retrieval system, without the prior written permission of ASQ. ...
Personal thought (I am not a lawyer!): if I was going to consider this, I would first purchase an electronic copy from ASQ, and then ask them for permission. It may help if you clearly state that it is for internal company use only and will not be accessible to anyone else.

Graeme

Randy

Super Moderator
This standard is subject to copyright claims of ISO, ANSI and ASQ. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form, including on an electronic retrieval system, without the prior written permission of ASQ. ...
Let's see........If I buy (using company funds) a copy of the standard that is in the form of a CD or electronic download, and place it on my computer, guess what....? It's on an electronic retrieval system!!!! DUH!

And if I, an authorized representative of my organization using organizational funds, purchase a standard for the exclusive use of the organization for the organization, I don't have to get squat. Permission is implied during the purchase of the product that the product will be used.

It sounds kind of stupid to buy something and then have to get written permission to use it.

A

Aaron Lupo

tomvehoski said:

As for the PDF file from ASQ we purchased, technically it is not legal. The copyright notice states: "...No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form, including an electronic retrieval system, without prior written permission of ASQ..." I probably just violated the copyright by typing that.
Tom
Tom I am pretty sure the ASQ received permission to sell you the PDF file.

As far as posting it on your intranet, IMHO I would have no problem if I saw you doing that. Is it leagal, not really sure nor do I care. IMHO as long as you are not selling it whats the big deal, if my registrar/notified body gave me an N/C for doing that I would fight it becuase they have given me copies of standards in the past.

R

Randy Stewart

It's all about the $$$$

I agree Randy. I was also told concerning articles submitted to e-zines that once it's on the internet you basically give up any copyrights.

R

rrramirez

It's all about the $$$$

Yeap is only a matter of $$$$$$

What we did:

1)wrote in an ebook with the total interpretation of each element of the standard; and

2) put it on our intranet

Most worker can read what they need.

The ebook is a non-controlled documents as it´s for open training purpose.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
No copyright on e-zines that are on the internet

.... I was also told concerning articles submitted to e-zines that once it's on the internet you basically give up any copyrights.
That is definitely not true today, if it ever was.

That is one thing about Elsmar. It is VERY unusual in that Elsmar is "Copyright Free" - See: http://elsmar.com/entry2.html#copyright

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D When Quoting an ISO Standard should I put the quote in italics? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I ISO 9001:2008 4.2 Documentation - Where to put a Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
M Trying to take current documentation and put it into ISO forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Suggestions on what to put on an Employee ISO 9001 Intranet page ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
C ISO 13485:2003 QMS Flow - I have just put together my first draft ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
M Third day of our ISO 9001/QS9000/TE audit - What do we put on the letterhead? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
A Can a US manufacturer put export only products on a CFG? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
C Is it required to put"Rx only" on the home page of an app? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C IATF 16949 : 2016 - How put in place a Containment for this kind of Major NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
somashekar How to put in place a Risk Assessment of Vulnerabilities & Corruption... Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
A Two Identical Medical Devices put in different Classes - Class I and Class II 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L RAPS RAC EU Certificate: is anyone going to put hands on? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Crusader Certificate of Compliance - Put a form number on it or not? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D Multiple Discrepancies put on one SCAR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
D What Information to put on an Internal Chemical List Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
AnaMariaVR2 Why modern maps put everyone at the centre of the world Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
S What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
T What should I put on my Quality Notice Board? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T What should I put on my Environmental Notice Board? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
I What do you have to put in place for Sterile Procedure Packs? MDD Article 12 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
M MSA - According to the formula cg how much tolerance should be put in place? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
V We put Old plating spec on supplier prints and need to PPAP to Customer. APQP and PPAP 1
K Equipment Lifetime: Put in operation manual or a individual document/declaration Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M AS9101 Appendix D question - What to put in Box 8 ?Process Name? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D How do you put confidence bounds around bimodal data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
B Do we need to put the box around the SN symbol listed in EN 980? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Wes Bucey Put some zip in your resume or cover letter Career and Occupation Discussions 1
V Is it OK to put 2 Part Numbers on 1 PSW (Part Submission Warrant)? APQP and PPAP 12
B Urine Reagent Strips - Which directive should I put on the declaration? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Can we put two Manufacturer's address in IFU (Instructions For Use)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
E Where to put QMS Definitions, e.g. forms, policies, etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Marc The Future - G.E.?s Breakthrough Can Put 100 DVDs on a Disc After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Suppliers for labels to put on medical device cables Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
K Where to put Product and Process Characteristics on the Control Plan. FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Where to put product and process characteristic in PFMEA (AIAG Manual 4th edition)? FMEA and Control Plans 6
J Required to put original manufacturers on Approved Supplier List? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
bobdoering Isuzu, Toyota Put Clean Diesel Engine Project On Hold. World News 1
J Metrics to be put in place in our Test department - First Pass Yield and Paretos Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
R Continental put the boot in.... Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
N Yields & Through Put Rates - Food processing industry Manufacturing and Related Processes 3