Can Quality Procedures be in Flowchart format?

Gman2

Involved - Posts
Can QP Procedures be in Flowchart format??

I believe they can be but I have not seen any examples of this.
I have only seen them done in written form.
I am starting on revamping the nonconforming material procedure right now, when in the middle I am thinking "Hey this could be a lot shorter and a lot more clear for the employees if it was in flow form". Then taking a look at the rest, there are a lot of procedures that could be dealt with this way.

I guess my dumb questions are, where do you fit the purpose, application, scope, and definitions into these?
On the LONG format it's easy, you just list them out.
But does that really NEED to be on there? Or can you generate your flows without listing all that out as in the old format.

Anyone have any examples of QP's in flow form that have satisfied ISO-9000-2k?
It would help to see some.

Thanks

G.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

leanne - 2009

I don't have any examples, but I did once audit a supplier that used flowcharts as procedures & work instructions. I thought it was very effective. This supplier was not ISO registered & had no plans for becoming so.

When I was a QA/QDC manager at a construction company, I used embedded flow charts in procedures & work instructions to clarify &/or reduce the amount of verbiage I would have otherwise needed. I don't have those files with me, but I'll check to see if I can find one & clean up the company name information so I can post it.

My current employer uses process maps embedded in our procedures & work instructions. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to share them. We are ISO 9000:2000 registered & are working on AS9100 registration.

Re: Can QP Procedures be in Flowchart format??

Gman2 said:
I guess my dumb questions are, where do you fit the purpose, application, scope, and definitions into these?
On the LONG format it's easy, you just list them out.
But does that really NEED to be on there? Or can you generate your flows without listing all that out as in the old format.
Where does it say you have to have all of that stuff. I don't have any examples handy, but I know companies that have added enough detail to the flowchart, so the user knows what's going on and what's expected. Just remember, the procedures are written for the process owners, and operators, not the auditors.

B

Bob_M

If you can squeeze enough information into a flowchart that everyone in your company can follow and understand go for it!
We have not gotten that far. We have very few embedded flowcharts in a few of our procedures. We don't have the most user friendly flowchart software, and not everyone is comfortable making/using them. Some are still stuck on "written" details.
Here is an example of a Non-Conforming flow that is embedded. The written parts just further explain the flow chart.
Sorry for the low quality but I wanted to post it as an image.

Attachments

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource

Gman,

Do whatever works best for your company to convey the necessary info. If that is text, flowcharts, pictures, drawings, movies, or whatever, so be it. Do what works. If you want you can always use "hybrids" combining any or all of the above.

Bob_M said:
If you can squeeze enough information into a flowchart that everyone in your company can follow and understand go for it!
If not everyone in the company, at least those who are using it.

J

Jimmy Olson

A number of our procedures are combinations of text and flowcharts, and in some cases the text is actually just there to clarify the flowcharts. You mentioned that you were working on your nonconforming material procedure. Here is ours. As you will see, it is mostly comprised of flowcharts to indicate the process flow and then text to add more detail and clarity.

Attachments

T

tschones

At our company I have made it a requirement that all Level 2 procedures that are either being created or revised, and have a "process" within them, that processes have to be documented in the form of a flow chart. This change went over surprisingly easy. We use MS Visio to create the flow charts and cut and paste them into a MS Word document (We have such things as Scope, Purpose, References, Responsibilities, etc. in the procedure in addition to the process). The primary advantages of using flowcharts are to clearly show the hand-off of information or material between two entities and showing decision points in the process. The decision points are there to depict different scenarios (ex. product A and product B have slightly different processes) and to accommodate the two or more directions the process can take after something is reviewed or tested. These decision points are very difficult to incorporate and logical follow within a standard outline of a Word doc.

We found the time to ramp up one's understanding of how to use Visio was minimal; few if any went to any formalized training. I pretty much spent an hour or so with a user creating their first flowchart.

A secondary advantage for using flowcharts is for your internal auditors in understanding the process that they are about to audit.

One final comment. I have found that not all Level 2 procedures we created have a "process" associated with them. For example, our Control of Records procedure merely states where records are kept. In this particular case, I have the detail about when to collect a record and how long the records must be kept embedded into the procedure that actually creates the records. The point being is that if you are like us, you may have procedures that list requirements only and may not have an actual process where something is being transformed.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Gman2 said:
I gotta ditto Dave on this one....these items are not required in written or flowcharted procedures.

CarolX

CarolX said:
I gotta ditto Dave on this one....these items are not required in written or flowcharted procedures.

CarolX
But that also doesn't mean its wrong to have them. If it works for you, you can put them into a header, or footer to the chart, or even a callout.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Quality System Processes without Documented Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
I Concerning procedures within Quality Manual ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
A AS9100D Quality Manual & Procedures needed Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
S ERP Software and Quality Department Procedures Integration Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
T Does your Quality Dept Control Procedures Outside the Scope of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
I Quality Procedures (as required by ISO 9001) for Inspection Bodies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Y ISO 13485:2003 &FDA QSR (21 CFR 820) Quality Manual,34 Procedures and Form Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
V Can Regulatory Head Initiate/Trigger the Change Control for Quality Procedures US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
T Standard Procedures vs Quality Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T ISO 9001:2008 Mandatory Procedures in Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
A Online Navigation of Procedures and Quality System Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H ISO Quality Procedures for a Small Shop Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 44
M Quality Manual - ISO 17025 required Mandatory and Operational Procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
M The System engineering procedures is it considerd as Quality Assurance Procedurcs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Storage Cabinets for Quality Documentation (Procedures and Records) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
K Creation of Quality Manual, Procedures Manual, Work Instructions and Guidelines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Quality Assurance procedures for EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility) Compliance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Quality Procedures - General Detail Level and Record Keeping Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
F Review of a Quality/Procedures Manual for a Ministry in Kuwait Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
K Quality System Roll Out Proposal Procedures and Content Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
F Must the AS9100C quality manual contain the procedures and QMS documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Mixed Use of Corporate and Site Level Procedures and Forms in the Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Can I Audit Quality Procedures if I come from the Quality Department Internal Auditing 5
J Lock-out / Tag-Out Procedures as Quality Controlled Documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
V Quality Procedures and Quality Manual Changes and Amendments Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
E Quality Manual and Standard Operating Procedures - File attached Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
D Helping rewrite the Quality Manual and Procedures - Hints wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K Procedures and Quality Manual written - Where next? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Quality Procedures Manual (ISO 9001:2008) for Construction Industry wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
A Is the Project Consultant allowed to see our internal quality procedures?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Quality Manual Review - Should the manual link all procedures Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
P Quality Operating Procedures - Eliminating the term 'Quality' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 34
C Quality Manual and Procedures Manual for Small Service Business Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
I Short SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) or Add to Quality Manual? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 10
C Can we do changes in the quality manual procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Write Quality Manual before Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
D Procedures or Quality System relative to a Telecommunication Organization TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 3
M Totally confused over changes to issue numbers - Quality & procedures manuals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
R Quality Assurance Procedures vs. Standard Operating Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
D ISO 9001 - Hierarchy List of Procedures Starting with the Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P One page quality procedure - Changing format of our quality procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Quality Calibration Procedures - Frequency of equipment calibration - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
S Quality manual, Procedures, WI & process mapping for oil field chemical & Eqpt.trader Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
D Quality Manual and Procedures incorporated in same document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S Documents / Following Procedures - FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Quality System Regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
Y What is the difference between Quality System & Quality Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
D Quality Manual - Where the cross referenced procedures fit in? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
A I have to CITE the ISO clause in BOTH my Quality Manual and in department procedures? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 16
N Electronics - Telecommunication Manufacturing Quality Manual and Procedures Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5