Can Resell Items be sold as ISO certified?

M

mjcleary

We manufacture and resell products at our company and we currently are not ISO certified. My question is that if we resell an item and make no modifications to it at all and the supplier we purchase it from is ISO certified can this product be sold as ISO certified?

I don't think it can because we are selling the product through our company which is not ISO certified but I'm not really sure.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
can this product be sold as ISO certified?
Welcome to The Cove. Products are NEVER ISO certified. Firstly because ISO does not certify anything or anyone. Secondly because the term "ISO certified" tends to mean certified to ISO 9001, which applies to the quality system of an organization, NEVER the product.
For more information

M

mjcleary

I understand the product is never certified. Thanks for the clarification. The company that we receive the product from is ISO9001 certified. We then resell this product.

So we can state to our customer that our company is not ISO certified but the company that manufactures the product is ISO certified. They do not want to purchase from a company that is not ISO certified.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
I understand the product is never certified. Thanks for the clarification. The company that we receive the product from is ISO9001 certified. We then resell this product.

So we can state to our customer that our company is not ISO certified but the company that manufactures the product is ISO certified. They do not want to purchase from a company that is not ISO certified.
Tell them. If they purchase from the company directly and not from you, you will lose a customer for not being yourself ISO9001 certified...
As a reseller, you processes can be very well aligned to the ISO9001 requirement and further also certified.
What is stopping you ?

V

vanputten

I think the problem here is a complete lack of understanding of the intent of "buying from an ISO 9001 certified company."

What the customer should really care about is buying something from the producer who has an ISO 9001 certification.

The issue is not really who the customer is BUYING from. The issue is, does the customer have confidence in the processes and controls used to make what they are buying? If the reseller or distributor plays a role in the quality of the product purchased, then maybe the customer should care about certification for the disti too.

Anyway, I am going to guess that this issue (which I have seen over and over especially in the automotive industry thanks to TS 16949) comes from the customer's Purchasing Dept. blindly following some general and mis-applied requirement that all things should be purchased from an ISO 9001 certified company.

And this approach continues to dilute any real or perceived value in ISO 9001.

Finally, you can tell your customer anything you want.

Top Bottom