Can Scope of Equipment Control be Tied to Risk?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
21 CFR 820.72 (Inspection, Measuring, and Test Equipment) says:
"Each manufacturer shall ensure that all inspection, measuring, and test equipment, including mechanical, automated, or electronic inspection and test equipment, is suitable for its intended purposes and is capable of producing valid results. Each manufacturer shall establish and maintain procedures to ensure that equipment is routinely calibrated, inspected, checked, and maintained."
I'm interpreting this as reading: "if a piece of equipment is used for any inspection, measurement, or test, it must be routinely calibrated, inspected, checked, and maintained."

Is my interpretation incorrect? If not, is there no way to justify not doing this on the basis of risk?

For example, we have calipers used in receiving inspections to confirm the distance between drilled screw-holes is correct prior to admitting into inventory. This check is in place for the sole purpose of avoiding discovering that the holes are mis-aligned later during assembly. It has NO EFFECT on final product. Our risk assessment is as follows:
  1. Any non-conformities have 100% detectability during assembly (as you simply will not be able to sink the screw if the hole is not aligned).
  2. EVEN IF it were possible, the screws are redundant - in other words, even if 1 or 2 screw holes are off, the other screws are sufficient to secure the part.
  3. EVEN IF the part is not secure, this does not result in a hazardous situation (the part being secured is aesthetic in nature)

It seems reasonable that this would be acceptable justification for not requiring a calibration schedule for the calipers. Sure, they make an inspection measurement, but there is ultimately no product/consumer impact.

However, by my interpretation of the regulation, there is not allowance for such a justification.

Curious what others think...
MM.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Mark,

I think you read too much into this regulation.

You are required to ensure that the equipment is suitable for its intended purpose. You have done that, apparently.

You are also required to ensure that the equipmment is capable of producing valid results. The validity of results obtained is closely tied to the purpose of the test / inspection. In the situation you describe it seems that results validity is almost irrelevant from a product quality perspective. It’s more about economic efficiency (BTW, have you considered a false negative situation?).

Last, you are required to have procedures to ensure that equipment - in general - is <...>. It doesn’t say that the procedures must require each and every piece, in each and every role, to be calibrated. Rather, I would interpret it that the procedures must include guidelines / rules for deciding which piece requires what type of action. That’s where you could integrate risk analysis or some other way of rationalising.

Cheers,
Ronen.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I agree with Ronen that you're probably reading a bit much into the requirement; however, it does bring up a few interesting (to me at least) thoughts.

If I was auditing, my knee-jerk would be that since you're using the calipers to make quality decisions, why *wouldn't* you have it in the calibration program? Effectively, you're saying that the inspection step doesn't really matter. You do run the risk (figuratively) of rejecting good product / accepting bad product.

If you stick with not calibrating, I would be explicitly and overtly clear that those calipers are not calibrated ("for reference only"?) and that the inspection step is merely a sanity check and no real quality decisions are made (which may be tough to argue).

I know we don't want to do things "for" auditors but this might be something to document quite well.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with Ronen that you're probably reading a bit much into the requirement;...
Ya, we had a bad experience with an FDA auditor that also tended to "read a bit much into requirements", and ever since then we've been tending to interpret regulations in the most strict way we can think of, reassessing, and then tempering our strategy to what we can reasonably accommodate.

If I was auditing, my knee-jerk would be that since you're using the calipers to make quality decisions, why *wouldn't* you have it in the calibration program? Effectively, you're saying that the inspection step doesn't really matter. You do run the risk (figuratively) of rejecting good product / accepting bad product.
This raises an interesting discussion (I think) about the distinction between intent of a regulations versus those of quality system principles in general.

From a quality system perspective, I can see your point. Though I'd argue that, when all is considered - how often we receive, cost/benefit of performing, the likelihood of calipers being so far out of calibration to affect results... - the additional burden of a calibration schedule is not worth it, as we are confident of the results.

Regulatory bodies (like the FDA), on the other hand, should concern themselves only with final product, IMO, and should not burden a company with unnecessary controls, provided it can be demonstrated that the end product is not affected. Such is the case in this example.

This is not to say they are mutually exclusive. More like a Venn diagram, where the regulatory requirements are a subset of quality system principles:
Does it affect final product? - Then it is in the purview of both regulations and quality
Is it related to efficiency (but doesn't affect final product)? - Then it is in the purview of quality only

That's my viewpoint, anyway...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Does the Scope of 21 CFR Part 820.72 (Equipment) apply to Design? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Scope in procedure and content for 7.6 Monitoring and Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R Comparing Laboratory Scope of Accreditation against internal equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M How to include Gas Measurement Equipment Servicing & Calibration Scope to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Scope Of ISO 17025 Certification - 3000 to 5000 pieces of equipment in the field ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
K Measuring equipment different than scope - Accreditation document for our calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Can externally contracted equipment and operators be part of an internal lab scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Limiting the scope of APQP - Supplier of metal cutting equipment and test equipment QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
D Test Equipment at Work Station - Are Operator Daily Checks part of Laboratory Scope? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Are risks in supply chain and development activities within scope of MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Scope of ISO 9001 clause 10.2 in the product life cycle ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O MDSAP Reduction in Scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C IATF 16949 - Scope or not? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Similar scope medical products connected by WIFI US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
qualprod To raise a NC beyond the audit scope? Two signatures were missing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M ISO 27001 ISMS scope for companies with subsidiaries IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R Scope of ISO 13485 certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Scope of Facility - Our auditor asked us last week for our "Scope of the Facility" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Dropping ISO 9001 limits the scope of the ISO 13485 audit? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
I Sales Documents in scope for ISO-9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Exclusion of 'Design and Development' from scope of certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S ISO 13485 scope of certification - We are a virtual manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
F API Spec Q1 Scope - Limiting the scope of certification Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M How To Define ISMS (information Security Management System) Scope IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 9
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 8.5.1 f - Scope with customer special process requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Determining number of employees within the "Scope" of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Informational Scope of BSI for the MDR – Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News TGA Consultation: Changes to a number of definitions and the scope of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q Calibration laboratory scope - Include software such as Gagetrak or Mini tab used? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Determining the Scope of the QMS during Stage 1? Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
F Information Technology in IATF 16949 audit scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S MDSAP Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
K MDSAP scope vs ISO 13485 Scope Canada Medical Device Regulations 4