Can someone give a hint about FMEA about software source code

J

Jim123

Can someone give a hint about FMEA about software source code? Already did someone analyse SW at flow diagrams or UML diagram with FMEA?

Are grateful for reference.
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to an FMEA on a software project?

J

Jim123

Yes, that's the goal of my question, but not on the physical level for software.
Here I have got a good experience with the methode.
I search for experience on deeper software design level.
About software algorithem, structure flow, variabels, constants, labels, data and so one ...

regards, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chalapathi

Jim123 said:
Can someone give a hint about FMEA about software source code? Already did someone analyse SW at flow diagrams or UML diagram with FMEA?

Are grateful for reference.
Jim
You can apply Design FMEA, while designing the software. When you have done the functional design, before coding you can start the FMEA. I will give one example, consider designing this site. One of the features is Message Input box (I am typing in this box)

Design Feature:Message Input Box
Potential Failures:
- Error on page after submiting replay
- Typing Misatke in the Message
- Not able to print properly
- Do not accept special symbals etc.

You can look at the causes and other elements of FMEA format. When you do this FMEA, you may realize that, you need to give spelling check as an added feature. Your client/customer might not have asked for this feature in the requirements.

The first failure, I faced many times in e-mail as well as discussion forums. Interestingly, www.isixsigma.com have put a small coments on the bottom, which says "Save the message to cliperboard before submiting the replay". I learnt it the hard way. May you can try to reduce possibility of this failure from software side. If the risk is still high, you can look into innovatine ideas of helping the customer, even in case the sofaware fails.

Hope I have given you some idea and if you do a sample FMEA, I can give feedback on that.

M

Michael Walmsley

Software Hazard Analysis is generally the tool to use.

See attached.

Attachments

• Tool 38, Software Analysis.pdf
    143.4 KB · Views: 662
Top Bottom