SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram?

A

Andrews

Process flow diagram is one of the requirements of PPAP.

In SAP (ERP), BOM defines the process sequence to be followed.

Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram? This will avoid duplication.

What are your views?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Andrews

Any other views?

We are trying to integrate SAP into our quality management system. That is the reason for this question.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Process flow diagram is one of the requirements of PPAP.

In SAP (ERP), BOM defines the process sequence to be followed.

Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram? This will avoid duplication.

What are your views?
First - no disagreement in your thinking

but

Have you asked your customer if this is acceptable or do they need to see the traditional Process flow diagram.

I think that it is time to educate the old dinosaurs in the room and let them know that the concept has not changed but that the way is viewed is unique.

I

isoalchemist

Conceptually I like the idea. It's been awhile since I played with SAP but I seem to remember we encountered issues building Inspection Steps into the process. I forget the details and it may have been a matter of what we were building at the time and the skill of the people building the BOMS, but a similar approach for other reasons created issues.

As stated above see what your customer thinks because it is hard to change dinosaurs and big companies expectations.

Good Luck I like the concept

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi there,
Can you describe in a flow diagram how the BOM's are built in SAP? What are the steps in creating a BOM (Bill of Materials, the inputs, outputs). This is a great way to puty value to your quality management system.

P

PaulJSmith

I've had only negative experiences with SAP, so I may be the wrong person to comment on this.

However, regarding your PPAP reguirements, as mentioned above, you might want to go to the source of those requirements (customer?) and make sure they're OK with your idea. Ultimately, they will have to accept it or not.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R BOM (Bill of Materials) - To rev or not to rev Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Do I need to show fasteners in my BOM's/DMR etc? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
D Redundant BOMs - Maintaining a Reference Only BOM on our Top Level Assembly Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B The best way to manage changes to the documentation of PCB files & BOM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
somashekar Use of Set or Pair as Unit of Measure in the Bill of Material (BOM) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Q Does the BOM need to be Revision Controlled and Signed Off? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Documentation Confusion - Agile BOM Structure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Looking for BOM (Bill of Materials) template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J Concessions - Raising a concession untill the BOM (Bill of Materials) is updated Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
T Process Instructions via BOM for Subcontractor? (PCB Population) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Packaging Instruction and BOM Control - Manufacturer of a medical device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Document Control Revision History in Manually Created BOM's (Bill of Materials) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
B SAP Audit trail Periodic Review EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Scientific Advisory Panel on Software as a Medical Device (SAP-SaMD) - Record of Proceedings – January 26, 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S What is the clause in ISO 13485 for SAP Software Validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Wet Signature Document Attachments in SAP - Risk on Data Integrity issue? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
R Regulatory Expectations and SAP US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Z SAP Validation for Part 11 Compliance - Examples (executed protocols) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S AS9100 Control of Documents and SAP Implementation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Computer System Validation - Migrating to SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Supplier Rating from SAP QM Module Data Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Using SAP for SCAR (Supplier Corrective Action Reports) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
E Validation of SAP Purchase Order and Sales Order modules Software Quality Assurance 7
A Changes required to procedures after introduction of SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
W SAP QM Module - Honest assessment wanted Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
ScottK Validation of SAP - Secondary Packaging Manufacturer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
M Is ERP (Enterprise Resource Plannning) software like SAP in scope of AS9100 7.5.1.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Implementation of SAP and compliance to ISO 9001: 2008 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
N Procedure and QMS around SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
W Validation of SAP for ERP - Inventory, shipping, and monitoring expiration dates Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
P A SAP DMS Q: Sequantial work flow for DMS review and Approval Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Part Naming Convention for SAP ERP Application Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Item Part Code change - New SAP System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R SAP / EtQ Documentation Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Vantage/SAP Part Number Nomenclature help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Commercial Quality Assurance Software (ie: SAP) vs. Custom Databases Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
J Relationship Between SAP and ISO9001:2000 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
M Lean Manufacturing, SAP and 8.2.4 - No records indicating release of product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q SAP ERP Software - do you know anything about it? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 15
A What is the relation between SAP and ISO 9001:2000 documentation requirements? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
Marc SAP AG Lawsuit World News 0
L SAP and ISO 9000 - Azerbagampt ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Methods used to label the package EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Cleaning Agents to be Used on Metals & Plastics Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Judy Abbott General temperature used in the blasting process and laser process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R Tools used for measuring (New to metrology) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9