Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram?

A

Andrews

Process flow diagram is one of the requirements of PPAP.

In SAP (ERP), BOM defines the process sequence to be followed.

Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram? This will avoid duplication.

What are your views?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Why not ...
Which is the master? ... ERP is the slave
At any point of time, will the slave match exactly to the master.

A

Andrews

Any other views?

We are trying to integrate SAP into our quality management system. That is the reason for this question.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Process flow diagram is one of the requirements of PPAP.

In SAP (ERP), BOM defines the process sequence to be followed.

Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram? This will avoid duplication.

What are your views?
First - no disagreement in your thinking

but

Have you asked your customer if this is acceptable or do they need to see the traditional Process flow diagram.

I think that it is time to educate the old dinosaurs in the room and let them know that the concept has not changed but that the way is viewed is unique.

I

isoalchemist

Conceptually I like the idea. It's been awhile since I played with SAP but I seem to remember we encountered issues building Inspection Steps into the process. I forget the details and it may have been a matter of what we were building at the time and the skill of the people building the BOMS, but a similar approach for other reasons created issues.

As stated above see what your customer thinks because it is hard to change dinosaurs and big companies expectations.

Good Luck I like the concept

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi there,
Can you describe in a flow diagram how the BOM's are built in SAP? What are the steps in creating a BOM (Bill of Materials, the inputs, outputs). This is a great way to puty value to your quality management system.

P

PaulJSmith

I've had only negative experiences with SAP, so I may be the wrong person to comment on this.

However, regarding your PPAP reguirements, as mentioned above, you might want to go to the source of those requirements (customer?) and make sure they're OK with your idea. Ultimately, they will have to accept it or not.

Top Bottom