Can the Plant Manager be our ISO Representative and an Internal Auditor?

D

dbulak

One of our internal auditors became the Plant Manager and ISO Representative. He now is in charge of all the production processes. Can he still he be an internal auditor?
Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

lk2012

hi,
there's no problem for the Plant Manager to be also the 'representative for Quality' and do internal audits. In fact, I think it's a benefit having someone with auditing (and therefore systems) experience at such high level position. The only thing to make sure is that he doesn't audit his own process.
Lil

As long as he doesn't audit production he should be ok.

So for example, he could probably audit purchasing.
Noooooooooooo!

He can't audit his "own work"! I'd WANT him to audit "production"... Let's please keep with the correct requirements, not "interpretation".

One of our internal auditors became the Plant Manager and ISO Representative. He now is in charge of all the production processes. Can he still he be an internal auditor?
Thanks in advance.
Sure, if he's competent (as an auditor, that is). You might want to be careful about "bias", as in he sees what actually happens but can't see it's NOT the way HE wants it to happen - that's a common failing when management audit. They can't accept the practice isn't the way they believed things were done. Oh, and as long as he doesn't audit his "own work", you should be fine.

L

lk2012

I'm afraid I'd disagree with you on this one Andy. :argue:
The manager should definitely 'audit' his area, especially if he's just been added to the team.
What I mean by 'not auditing his own work' is making sure the internal auditor in the area is impartial and can take all the evidence with a fresh pair of eyes. Internal audit-wise, I'd prefer this new manager audits Purchasing, for example ;)

I'm afraid I'd disagree with you on this one Andy. :argue:
The manager should definitely 'audit' his area, especially if he's just been added to the team.
What I mean by 'not auditing his own work' is making sure the internal auditor in the area is impartial and can take all the evidence with a fresh pair of eyes. Internal audit-wise, I'd prefer this new manager audits Purchasing, for example ;)

Being "impartial" is a competency trait, not a title! Auditing another process does'nt make them any more "impartial" - in fact, if you have the wrong person doing the audit (especially new), they might actually beat up Purchasing for the supplier problems! A "fresh pair of eyes" is also a competency trait. Don't confuse being "new" and being objective and impartial, either. I think you are confusing the issues.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Noooooooooooo!

He can't audit his "own work"! I'd WANT him to audit "production"... Let's please keep with the correct requirements, not "interpretation".

Wouldn't you suppose that production is the Production Manager's own work? He is ultimately accountable for it. Seems to me this would raise a red flag to a CB auditor that you would spend time trying to justify. Semantically you could be right, but practically I'm not so sure.

Wouldn't you suppose that production is the Production Manager's own work? He is ultimately accountable for it. Seems to me this would raise a red flag to a CB auditor that you would spend time trying to justify. Semantically you could be right, but practically I'm not so sure.
Nope and who gives a flying fig for what a CB auditor *thinks*. Production is a responsibility, so unless he's out there on the line making stuff (and even then he can audit another operation), it doesn't count - seriously. It's not semantics, it's "practical" and in there for small businesses to be able to comply.

Any CB auditor who made a deal of that should be shown the door...

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Noooooooooooo!

The production manager can be an auditor, and can be the mgt rep...and can be plant manager too.... BUT, I would probably flag if the production manager "audited" Production, and would say he is not independent...least wise in a small plant.

To be clear, the Production Mgr should be "auditing" and managing his own dept. and process everyday! But the internal audit should be done by someone who is independent of that process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Discussion with Plant Manager (on the basis of ISO/TS 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Overwhelmed, no help from Production - Plant manager is pushing everything on to me Career and Occupation Discussions 17
P Quarantine/bounded area - Plant manager does not think this is needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
Q Question on Unannounced Registrar Audits - Plant manager suggested no advance notice General Auditing Discussions 16
G Audit finding - Components being transferred inter-plant Internal Auditing 3
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E ISO 9001 certification of the new plant before start of production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
R DCMA QAR Service Issue - Resident Inspectors absent from the plant AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Timing to certify new plant to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C ISO 9001:2015 - Non Applicable Design and Development (Power Plant Operator) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Plant within a Plant - Does anyone currently manage their facility this way? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M IATF 16949 - 7.1.3.1 Plant, Facility, and Equipment Planning - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
X [Thermal Power plant KOSTOLAC, SERBIA] Sucessfully certified to ISO 50001 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
R Is Plant Wide ISO 9001 Training Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
S Quality Slogans for the Plant Floor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
G Plant Relocation - Is it necessary to perform FAI? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
M Implementing ISO 9001 in an Assembly Plant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Internal Audits of QMS Corporate Basics at the Local Plant Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Identification of Nonconforming Products in a Coil and Strip Steel Plant Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B FMEA example for Cokemaking Process at a integrated Iron and Steelmaking Plant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C "Sister Plant" Supplier Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
T Is ISO 29001 applicable to Coal Fired Power Plant Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Mining Operation Sand Plant - Required Standards and Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Is recertification needed for our plant relocation ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
X Global Timeline Plan of IMS/QMS Activities for a Thermal Power Plant ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Defining CCP (Critical Control Points) in a Rice Mill Plant Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
T APQP and PPAP in an AS9100 plant APQP and PPAP 2
P How to streamline different documents in a multi plant ISO13485 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
AnaMariaVR2 Gilead plant joins the FDA's "warning club" US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur J&J's licence for cosmetics at Mulund plant (Mumbai, India) cancelled Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Quality issues in a manufacturing plant - High-pressured solvent spray cans Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q ISO 13485 Certification for a Fabrication Plant ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
B Fire in recently SA-8000 certified textile Plant in Pakistan kills 300 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 15
S Sanitation Procedure(s) for a Sugar Processing Plant wanted Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
T Requirement for each Company Plant to be AS9100 Registered? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
AnaMariaVR2 FDA hits China Plant - OTC DRUG Nationwide Recall US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
P How to get FDA Approval of an API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients) Plant in India US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
R One QMS & Two Plants - Can there be 2 Management Representatives, 1 for each plant? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
S Quality Objectives for Aerospace Chemical Conversion & other Surface Treatment Plant AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
T AS9100 - Upgrade to Rev C - Design & Manufacturing Plant AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
L Validation Plan Requirements when moving to a new Plant - Medical Device Industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 19
L ISO 9001 Registration of 1 Plant in a Company - Exclusions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Is it a nonconformity if an auditor saw ant trails on wall inside the plant? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 22
T Plant Start-Up - Planning and Implementing Quality Systems for a New Facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Integration of Supplier Quality Assurance within Plant Engineering Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
S Natural Gas Power Plant - Aspects & Impacts Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8