Can this device without tolerances be used as a predicate for our 510(k)?

franklymissshankly

Starting to get Involved
My company got a 510(k) clearance for a class IIa device, X, a few years ago. For some reason, they never provided the FDA with any tolerances for the technical specifications of our device like frequency, average power etc. We have established tolerances for each specification that we use for manufacturing, batch testing etc. but they were never provided in the 510(k).
We now want to use X as a predicate for our new device Y. Y has technical specifications that fall within the tolerances we established for device X and hence we want to use X as a predicate. Is it acceptable to do so if we provide the tolerances in the new 510(k)? Does anybody have any insight on this? Thanks so much

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Not an expert here but maybe this gets the discussion going.

As far as I know, any cleared device is eligible to be identified as a predicate. You have to show substantial equivalence.

Pre-subs with FDA are good at giving you some level of confidence that you're on the right path.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
My company got a 510(k) clearance for a class IIa device, X, a few years ago. For some reason, they never provided the FDA with any tolerances for the technical specifications of our device like frequency, average power etc. We have established tolerances for each specification that we use for manufacturing, batch testing etc. but they were never provided in the 510(k).
We now want to use X as a predicate for our new device Y. Y has technical specifications that fall within the tolerances we established for device X and hence we want to use X as a predicate. Is it acceptable to do so if we provide the tolerances in the new 510(k)? Does anybody have any insight on this? Thanks so much
I don't see any issues (based on the very limited info provided here) with using X as a predicate for Y. Further, I would use X's submission as a baseline template for Y's submission, and wouldn't add ANYTHING that wasn't in X's submission unless there's a clear requirement for that in current guidance on 510k contents (make sure to review your draft submission against all current relevant guidance, including eCopy, RTA etc.). Why open a can of worms if you can leave the worms nice and warm in the can?...

I agree that Q-subs ("pre-subs") are a powerful tool, but keep in mind they take time to sort out. Additionally, I would think long and hard whether one is really necessary, because once out the worms are hard to put back in the can.

ChrisM

Involved In Discussions
I agree with Ronen, provide information in the same format and see whether or not you get a remark about tolerancing on technical specifications. If none is received, great. If it is queried, don't make any remark about "well, we didn't provide it for the predicate device", just respond to what is requested.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D IEC 60601-1-2: Is EMC immunity testing required for a device without essential performance? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 25
E ECG device without ECG REPORTS - IEC 60601-2-25: 2011 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
R Medical device software without user interface Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
C Does the company violates any regulation/standard by selling device without warranty ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Brazil - Import Medical Device Spare Parts - Without license Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
I Device Shelf Life Extension to 48 months without involving the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Medical Device PIT (Physician Initiated Trial) Study without CE Mark EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Measuring Parts without Proper Tools - Measurement Device Resolution Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
K Putting a regulated device on the market without the proper ISO Certs and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 9
B FDA regulations medical device prescription fulfillment DME question US Medical Device Regulations 0
E Device compatibility with other company's devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D New Device Post Market Requirement for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Biocompatibility: Selection of worst-case device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
J Medical Device Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for Canada - class IIa/IIb device Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
N Direct Part Marking of the "CE" symbol- Class I Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M An introductory guide to medical device Clinical Evaluation & Clinical Evaluation Reports (CER) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Question regarding classification of custom made device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B How FDA define a new variant/generation or a new device US Medical Device Regulations 11
O Regarding design and development requirements for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
U Leakage test Standard for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Tablet integrated into medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
S New indication for a third party device US Medical Device Regulations 2
F Philippines: Old Certificate of exemption for Class B device and new LTO. How to proceed? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ed Panek Is this a medical device? US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Are there Controlled Documents in a DMR (Device Master Record)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Medical device testing lab/service standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Medical Device file and "Component" Manufacturers? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
R CE MARKED DEVICE REGISTER SEPARATELY (LOCALLY) IN EU COUNTRIES? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
C Legacy device under Class A sterile devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Statistics/sampling plan for medical device Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
T IVD Device Software - Risk Classification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 16
J Can you assign two EMDN codes to a single device for EUDAMED? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Non-medical device testing in the medical system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
H Is testing according to IEC 60601-1 & IEC 60601-1-2 mandatory for a device being registered under MDR? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Training in D&D for engineers with no medical device experience Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
P Classification of Active non-implantable diagnostic device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Software as Medical Device import activities for Chile and Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical Device Indications for Use Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
I Where to find MDR compliance device? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
D Exclusion 4.2.3 Medical Device File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Lifetime of medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 16
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E How to risk assess tooling? For a medical device and is it needed??? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Definition of "Standalone" medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Spare parts of medical device need CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4