Can we modify tables mentioned in FMEA handbook according to our process?

S

Sushil Kumar

Dear Friends,
A question is bothering me that whether tables given in FMEA handbook are mendatory to follow?
As every table is titled as "Suggested.............". Also in practical approach sometimes we can not find suitable rank. So I think that we can change these tables according to our process for improvement. These techniques are given for improvement pupose only.
If you will go to forward page in FMEA manual, para 4...................
"This manual provides general guidlines for preparing an FMEA. I does not give specific instructions on how to arrive at each FMEA entry, a task best left to each FMEA team. This manual is also not intended to be a comprehensive FMEA reference source or training document"
It means we can modify the tables but I am not sure so sharing my views with you for right answer.
Please share your views

Thanks in advance also

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
Dear Friends,
A question is bothering me that whether tables given in FMEA handbook are mendatory to follow?
As every table is titled as "Suggested.............". Also in practical approach sometimes we can not find suitable rank. So I think that we can change these tables according to our process for improvement. These techniques are given for improvement pupose only.
If you will go to forward page in FMEA manual, para 4...................
"This manual provides general guidlines for preparing an FMEA. I does not give specific instructions on how to arrive at each FMEA entry, a task best left to each FMEA team. This manual is also not intended to be a comprehensive FMEA reference source or training document"
It means we can modify the tables but I am not sure so sharing my views with you for right answer.
Please share your views

Thanks in advance also
You can use whatever ranking criteria you choose so long as your customer doesn't object. If they do object, try talking sense to them. Sometimes it works.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I agree with Jim. However, in response to your comment about letting each team decide, I disagree. If you customize the ratings, which you should do if your customer does not object, you should still standardize them within your own facility. This allows you to prioritize improvements across projects, and minimize confusion when team members cross teams.

You do not need to stay with 10 levels either. use what makes sense. Design the ratings such that you do not spend a lot of time arguing over whether it is a 6 or a 7. For example, A Detection scale might have 1 as a mistake proof that shuts the process down automatically. A 3 might be automated inspection with removal of the fails, A six might be 100% manual inspection using a Go/No go gage. An 8 might be a sampling inspection plan. etc.

The point is to use the various inspection techniques currently in use at your facility, rank them according to effectiveness, and apply the numbers to them. Then you will not get into arguments that waste time during the actual FMEA process.

Top Bottom